IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2001 S60 Auto Transmission trouble

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

jjaV70T
Year and Model: V70 2.4T 2003
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
jjaV70T

Re: 2001 S60 Auto Transmission trouble

Post by jjaV70T » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:09 pm

I would drain the T. Fluid in the lower case and replace with Mobil 3309 , then install Lucas tranny goop half a bottle. Did you see about a upgrade if available? ....why not have it looked at by a independent trans shops, the trans are common.
Attachments
P1030014.JPG
I would like to 'wrap' the charge boost tube. exhaust wrap.,
P1030014.JPG (93.06 KiB) Viewed 7455 times

.2003, V-70,. 2.4T, 101,100K..
.1985, 245T,.sold at 280K....
.1974, 145, sold at 250K....

jda2000
Year and Model: 04 V70 2.5T 01 V70T5
jda2000

Post by jda2000 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:55 pm

machinit wrote: Like I said earlier, this will be the last Volvo I ever own.
machinit,

you are are not the first one nor be the last one to flame volvo and say this is your last volvo. We understand you are pissed off by this pos 01 S60 automatic. The '99 S80 T6 was much worst. :lol:
Get the S60 in OK shape and trade it for something else, be happy man, good luck with your next car.

Retired MVS Contributor
Retired MVS Contributor

Post by Retired MVS Contributor » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Nobody can blame you for not wanting another Volvo...There is a lot more to this story though, especially if you bought the car used, and I assume you did...The AW55-50SN used in that car is EXACTLY the same (mechanically) as used in every other late model Volvo, and also in Nissan, Saab, GM, Saturn, Renault, and Opel....IDENTICAL!!!...The problem with the transmission in the 2001 and 2002 Volvos was with the so called "stop-neutral" software flashed into these cars that shifted the tranny into neutral when you stopped and had your foot on the brake...It was an attempt to improve gas mileage and lower emissions...That option was a disaster and many owners had it removed, eliminating the problem...However, there are still hundreds of 2001's and 2002's that never had the change made and never had a problem...A lot depends on luck and the owner's driving habits...

There was another problem with the AW55-50SN, no matter if it was in a Volvo or any of those other marques, and that was with the B4 servo cover...When that part failed, a shift flare occured...Volvo, IPD, and FCP all market a repair kit for it...

If this car was used when you bought it, there is another possibility and no way to fix it short of a complete rebuild...When after market shops change the tranny fluid, they find that the refill through the dipstick is rather slow, so they remove what looks like a plug on top of the transmission and pour the fluid in through there...It is not a fill plug, it is the capture bolt for the B4 band which controls 3rd speed, and 3rd speed is permanently disabled, resulting in a slip and/or harsh shift out of second gear because it has to come out of second, skip third, and go to fourth...

It is sad, in my opinion, that the 2001 and 2002 AW55-50SN gained a reputation for being "crap"...If it really was, then so was the tranny in all other Volvos and all those other makes...Not so, IMHO...

Jerry

JRL
Year and Model: Several
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:14 pm

Not exactly true
It is CRAP because of VOLVO engineering and their pitiful software engineers.
They took a perfectly good transmission and ruined it by using their own software instead of colaborating with Aisin Warner first

2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

Retired MVS Contributor
Retired MVS Contributor

Post by Retired MVS Contributor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:06 pm

I don't agree...The manufacturer of automobile parts, such as transmissions, alternators, or even circuit boards, has to give a guarantee to the auto manufacturer...I am SURE Aisin Warner knew what Volvo was doing...Any other scenario makes no sense whatsoever...

Considering it's intended purpose, stop-neutral was a good idea...Unfortunately, system hysteresis, hydraulic lag, and most importantly, driver habit, made it impractical...

Jerry

machinit
Year and Model: 2001
machinit

Post by machinit » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:42 am

I doubt seriously that if anyone requested a authorized Volvo mechanic/shop to disable the stop neutral feature the answer would be emphatically "no".

The liability for knowingly disabling that feature would be seriously opening someone up to some potential legal problems so I don't think that's an option.

I did get my money back from the salvage yard for the cost of the transmission. I'm going to pursue legal action to get re compensated for the money spent on installation.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:33 pm

Not true.
Volvo had software upgrades for TCM for AW 55-50SN equipped cars 5 or more years back that disabled neutral control. Apparently testing was done and it was shown the NC had no bearing on emissions certification.
The brake piston issues were addressed more than 3 years back with a solenoid cycling that effectively bleeds the piston circuit without applying the band in order to assure servo draining would not occur and you'd have the delayed shift for third while servo and accumulator were being refilled through the control orifice that keeps shift from being harsh.
Software for non-turbo was modified at least two years back to alter shift schedule to give better performance through more careful selection of gear based on engine load factor. Gear changing on those was done with great attention to noise regulations in European cities and the engine speed/load that gave louder exhaust noise was not an issue for every market (like North America).

JRL
Year and Model: Several
United States of America
JRL

Post by JRL » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:08 pm

Just to let everyone know, I (ME) was the beta tester for the stop/neutral software.

I had an early 01 (new) with almost immediate clunking issues. I complained starting in August 2000. The head engineer from Rockleigh came down. We have been friendly after I did some beta testing on an early 98 XC for Volvo.

Anyhow I got this very hush hush software around December 2000, after that and for 3 years, nary a single shifting issue and lo and behold, a couple of years later the stop-neutral disabling software came out...a few generations better than the one I (and I'm sure others after me) tested.

2000 V70R Black, 144,000 miles Wife's R.
2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 111,000 MILES. Polestar tune, IPD bars, rear spoiler, dark grey Thors, DWS 06, HU850, sub.

Contact info for purchases: [email protected]

machinit
Year and Model: 2001
machinit

Post by machinit » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:01 pm

JRL wrote:Just to let everyone know, I (ME) was the beta tester for the stop/neutral software.

I had an early 01 (new) with almost immediate clunking issues. I complained starting in August 2000. The head engineer from Rockleigh came down. We have been friendly after I did some beta testing on an early 98 XC for Volvo.

Anyhow I got this very hush hush software around December 2000, after that and for 3 years, nary a single shifting issue and lo and behold, a couple of years later the stop-neutral disabling software came out...a few generations better than the one I (and I'm sure others after me) tested.
If the software was available then why wouldn't it be installed on my car? I'm convinced it's available, but why wouldn't the software have been loaded onto my car, especially after I had it in the shop within the last 2 years complaining of shifting issues?

I don't expect you to speak for the dealer and or Volvo, but these things are frustrating to know.

Years ago, I owned a Honda Accord and wasn't happy with the service of a local dealer who I used religiously for may years. One day, I decided to go to another dealer to have the oil changed. They notified me after 1 hour that the stereo was under recall and without me asking replaced it at no cost too me. I was impressed and that's the level of service that I would expect today with ANY car that I own. Point is, why didn't the dealer install the software to disable the stop neutral? Furthermore, no one from Volvo even mentioned the disable software - Sorry folks but that's not how you keep the public buying your vehicles.

Oh well, I learn more and more everyday.

Retired MVS Contributor
Retired MVS Contributor

Post by Retired MVS Contributor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:20 am

Every dealer approaches recalls, etc differently....My dealer upgraded my transmission software after a year on his own without telling me why, even though I had not experienced any issues...He said it was an upgrade to improve performance...It was several years later that I found out about stop neutral...

Jerry