IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Changing the Oil in my V70

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Jen
Year and Model:
Been thanked: 0
Jen

Volvo Repair Database Changing the Oil in my V70

Post by Jen » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:04 am

I would like to learn to change the oil in my Volvo V70 myself. I've never changed the oil in a car before, but I would really like to learn.

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to teach me.

I am wondering if someone would mind giving me step-by-step instructions.

I don't really have anything to contribute in return , but I would be very grateful.

White850Turbo
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
White850Turbo

Post by White850Turbo » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:59 pm

What model year V70? It'll make a big difference in the procedure.

-Sean

1995 850 Turbo (Extensively Modded)

1998 S70 T5 (Almost Stock)

Jen
Year and Model:
Jen

Changing the Oil in my V70

Post by Jen » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:11 pm

It is a 2001 V70 2.4 turbo.

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

EASY CAR to change the oil

Post by MadeInJapan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:49 pm

First, you'll need 6 quarts of oil, a catch pan, an oil filter, a filter wrench, a rachet and socket set (hopefully you already have this), as well as a aluminum washer for the oil drain plug and last of all, some ramps to put your car on while you're doing the change. You can buy all of these except the oil, the oil filter wrench and ramps for cheap at www.fcpgroton.com What oil are you using? You need to find this out. I would recommend Mobil-1 (fully synthetic) 5w-30 in this car for the cold months, but that's my preference and it is more expensive than non-synthetic oil. If you don't want to use synthetic oil and will change your oil every 3000 miles, I would recommend the same 5w-30 oil in the Castorol GTX.

Okay, now back to fcpgroton. If you are going to be doing these changes yourself for now on, buy a case of 10 oil filters from them. This makes things cheaper. You'll need the ones that are called "inserts" and don't look like regular filters that are like a canister. Go see and you'll find the ones I mention. Don't forget to buy the same number of aluminum washers...they're cheap. For the oil filter wrench, I would not buy the one that fcpgroton uses...it's cheap and slipped on me when I used it last. go to this site and buy theirs for $6.95: http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx? ... RootID=629
Now, go to Pepboys or Autozone for an oil catch pan (make sure it holds more than 6 quarts) and some ramps...the hard platic ones called RhinoRamps are good...make sure you get the bigger ones that will hold 8000lbs....not much....usually under $30 for these and you will be safe working under your car on these ramps.

For the actual change:
Start your engine and drive it to a safe flat place...preferably your driveway. Make sure you have everything. If you don't want your hands dirty, you can wear latex gloves...that's what I do. You want the engine warm but not hot.
1. Position the ramps in front of your car and make sure they're straight. Get in your car and carefully drive up on the ramps. You'll know when you're at the top of them. Now put the car in Park and put on your emergency brake...make sure it's tight and turn off the key.
2. Next, get an old piece of cardboard and put your opened oil catch pan on it, and slide everything under under the car. Crawl on your back under your car from the front and position the catch pan under where your oil filter is on the passenger side of your car. You'll see it at the front of the oil pan as a black plastic item that fits the contours of the oil filter wrench you bought.
3. Slip the wrench over the filter housing and turn it counter clock-wise (looking at the housing from under it...an old mechanics trick is "lefty loosey, righty tighty...good thing to remember) with a ratched inserted into the wrench. It may take a bit of force but it will come off. Hold the catch pan under this as oil will spill out (about a quart). After the dribbling stops, take the old filter out of the plastic housing and notice how there is a black "O" ring around the threads near the base of the housing. Take this "O" ring off and replace with a new "O" ring that came with your new filter...put it on just like the old one was. Insert the filter into the housing and fill it with oil (yes, this is important...when you first crank your engine after the oil change, oil is pumped up from the filter first...you don't want it dry) and make sure it's seated really well....push it up on the threads in the hole where the filter and housing go and put on with your hand. Once you get it on as tight as you can with your fingers, use the wrench (this time clock-wise) and tighten another 1/4 to half turn. Don't over-tighten to the point you're straining...when it gets tight enough you'll know. Volvo actually calls for 18Ft-lbs for this torque, but I've found that doing it this way is very close to that.
4. Next is the oil pan plug. This is further back on the oil pan and sort of embedded...you'll see it. Place the oil catch pan under this area, allowing some room for a stream of oil that is about to come out. Get the right size socket. Not sure of the exact size, but make sure it's a snug fit. A 6 sided socket is best for this. Turn counter clockwise...will take some force but it will come loose. Then turn it with your fingers from the top (trying to keep oil from getting on your arm at the same time keeping a good hold of the oil pan nut so you don't lose it in the catch pan. Once the plug is all the way out, there will be a good stream, then it will dribble. Make sure your catch pan is under the area...the cardboard will help if there is wind and it catches the dribbling oil. At this time, check your oil pan nut...make sure the aluminum washer is on it, or it could be stuck to the opening of the drain...make sure it comes off and pitch it. Now get out from under the car and open the hood and take the oil cap off and lay it close by, or upside down on top of the engine. This will help as much oil as possible to drain.
5. Now, crawl back under the car and take the oil pan nut, put a new washer on it and while holding the washer in the middle of the nut as possible, finger tighten the nut into the drain hole. When you can't move it any longer, take the ratchet and tighten it. Once it's snug, tighten it again, putting pressure on it to crush the aluminum washer. That's all you need...to crush it. Don't over tighten this either. Doing it this way you'll have about 25Ft-lbs which Volvo recommends.
6. Now you're ready to fill the crank case back up with oil. Poor carefully and slowly until you have 5.5 quarts in, then tighten the cap on the top of the engine. Get in your car and start your engine. Look for any leaks and wipe them up...still look for leaks. Once all is well, slide the piece of cardboard with the oil in the oil catch pan out from under the car carefully and put the top on it. get in your car and lower if off of the ramps and turn your engine off.
7. Wait 5 minutes until all the oil in the crankcase has settled into the bottom of the oil pan, then use the dip stick in the bottom fo the pan and check your oil level. Top off as necessary. DON'T OVER-FILL. You'll either have just a hair of oil left in your last quart container or use it all and be at the top of the fill line on your dip stick if you did everything right. Take used oil to your auto dealer for recycling!

First time I've written these instructions...hope it helps. If you still need help, depending on where you live, I'll be glad to come out and help you. I'm in Knoxville, TN.
Regards,
MIJ
Last edited by MadeInJapan on Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

howardc64
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC SE
howardc64

Here is a couple of more links

Post by howardc64 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:26 pm

Your Volvo's oil change is harder than most cars. That said, it still isn't too difficult. I note this only because you've not changed oil before.

MadeInJapan made you an nice offer. Why don't you drive out to his place and have him show you how step by step :-)

Here is a couple of more links with pictures

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=26573
http://cvolvo.com/Central/Repair/B5254T.html

The XC70 directions are the same as your V70 except there won't be enough room if you don't raise the car.

You may want to get someone to help you drive up the ramp slowly (tell you when to stop). It is kind of scary the first time. I also don't trust myself to "feel" the stop in the front of the ramp before falling over the other side. My wife hates helping me with this. She so worried that I'm going to go over the edge everytime.

2000 V70XC SE 167k miles
2001 XC70 SOLD
2001 V70 T5 SOLD
Sammamish, WA
http://[email protected]

robert213
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
robert213

Post by robert213 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:03 pm

Question: Instead of drive-up ramps -- How about a nice hydraulic floor jack with two jack stands?

I place my floor jack at the center of the engine sub-frame -- just behind the front air dam. I pump the handle about 30 times.

I place my jack stands at each end of the engine sub-frame -- rear, near the back side of the oil pan.

Medical latex gloves are a must. I use a couple Tropicana Orange Juice plastic jugs to hold old oil. I use newspaper, instead of cardboard to protect garage floor from spills. You can take old oil to any Quick Oil Change shop, Full Service Repair Shop, or Local Government Recyling Center.

howardc64
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC SE
howardc64

This is now the ultimate V/XC70 oil change tip thread :-)

Post by howardc64 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:44 pm

Ditto on the medical latex gloves. Save your hands + finger nails.

On waste oil container, I try to get the new oil in 1 gallon containers so I can use them to store the waste oil. Most of these gallon oil containers have a clear window on the side so you can see when you are near the top to avoid spilll over. Since 6 quarts will come out, you will need 2 1 gallon containers. I think I saw gallon sized Mobil 1 5W-30 at Walmart the other day. Once you have a couple of these, you are set. The waste oil recycling places will give the containers back to you. They don't want them.

Oh yeah, Volvo dealer prices for parts can be super overpriced depending on dealer. I got quoted $18 for filter cartridge and $2 for the aluminum washer (I think $5-$6 and $0.20 at FCP Groton)

2000 V70XC SE 167k miles
2001 XC70 SOLD
2001 V70 T5 SOLD
Sammamish, WA
http://[email protected]

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:12 pm

I agree with the floor jack and stands over the ramps, but I figured she wouldn't know where to put the stands (wrong place= ouch...big ouch for the car) and once you're used to driving up on the ramps, it is sooooo much easier and quicker.

I'm still open to coming over and helping with this! 8)

Jen
Year and Model:
Jen

You all are great!!!!

Post by Jen » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:35 am

You all are great!!!! :D

Thank you for the super clear instructions! I think I can do this!

My last "dealer oil change" is scheduled for tomorrow and then I'm going to print out these instructions, get all the things I need, and do it myself from now on. I'd probably feel more comfortable using the ramps.

The dealer is about 2 hours from where I live, so once I get the hang of this, I will not only save money, but time. (?)

(Thank you MadeinJapan for your very generous offer. It's very kind of you ... but with such good instructions I think I will do ok.) :)

Thank you all so much!

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:06 am

Good luck Jen! If you do run into any issues, just email me...I check it often. badger36-at-knology.net
Cheers!
MIJ