IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Volvo Forum Rules: Read Me First. (Yes, You)

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Volvo Forum Rules: Read Me First. (Yes, You)

Post by matthew1 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:40 pm

Etiquette
  • Please get back to us so we can "close the loop" on our advice.
  • No ALL-CAPS titles or posts (it's the equivalent of shouting).
  • No funny/special characters in titles to get attention, please, and no profanity anywhere.
  • Don't ask for people to reply to your email address. This is a forum, not a mailing list, plus you can get email notifications to responses anyway.
  • Please be kind to other members. Let's keep this place flamewar- and bad attitude-free.
  • Don't hijack a topic. If you have a question that isn't directly related to the current topic, start a new topic.
  • Please try your best to write readable English. This means spelling counts here. If you can use a spellchecker, all the better. Written text is the only form of communication we have, so it's important to be clear and concise.
  • Do not write "HELP" in your title. Everybody needs help, so you don't need to add that. :wink:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple forums. We will delete duplicates.
  • No politics or religion in posts, signatures or usernames, please.
The Basics

Volvo Forum New Topics
If you have a new question, please start a new topic. Don't add it to a topic unless it's the same subject. A post is one single collection of sentences by one person. A topic is one or more posts, one after another, down the page.

Contacting Moderators
Don't Private Message or email moderators with Volvo questions, please. When you have a question, post it to the appropriate (sub) forum. The forum is successful because there are 200,000+ publicly viewable posts. From our perspective, there is no point replying to one person in a private message or email when thousands of owners needing info could benefit from a forum post. There are no stupid questions, just post it and you'll get help.

But if we catch you asking a moderator a Volvo question over the Private Messaging system, we will have a few words with you. If you'd like to contact Matt, aka Matthew, just go to the Contact Page and I'll get "write' back to you. Get it? Write? Hahahahaha, lol, hm.

If you're unfamiliar with forums and think you may do a faux pas, don't worry about it -- just post it! Really! We are VERY friendly here -- in fact we pride ourselves on it -- and nobody will get on your case if you post something in the wrong forum, or post twice or more by accident, etc.

If it's truly something private, for instance "How are the wife and kids?", then you may use this board to private message or email a moderator.

Help this Site

There are several very simple things you can do to help MVS. Helping MVS brings in more people, which brings in more knowledge, which then helps you. Symbiotic.

The central figure in all this helping is Matt who runs this site ("Matthew", but just call him "Matt"). If you donate for instance, he can spend less time on his regular job (freelance web developer) and more time working on this site creating things like the Volvo Repair Database.

Donate. Help offset the $300 per month hosting fee. (Detailed explanation)
Amazon. Click that before you add items to your cart and this site gets a cut! (detailed explanation)
Tire Rack. After clicking on those Tire Rack sale ads, buy something and this site gets a cut!
Link to us. Put a link to MVS on your site or Facebook page. Anywhere, it doesn't matter. It's the link that counts.

When You Post a Question

Volvo Model Information
We seem to always run into inadequate information and have to ask the basic questions a lot of the time. When you post a new topic please give the following:

1. Year and model of car as well as the trim level (for instance '98 S70 T-5).
2. Tell us how many miles are on your car.
3. Pertinent to topic, tell us modification and recent repairs or disrepair to your car.
4. Your location and/or which country your Volvo was made for.
5. Any other information that you think will help.

#1 above is a must and we as mods as well as others who are trying to help can't help you unless we know this basic information. This is going to be even more important after the forum realignment takes place.

And please make sure you're posting in the correct forum.

If you do a Repair... Document it!

Help us help others. Document your repair by taking a few notes and posting them here. If you can, take some photos! Send them to funtent (at) gmail (dot) com and he'll post them if you can't post the photos. Please don't use Imageshack or Photobucket! We have been noticing images from just a few years ago are disappearing from these hosting sites. That means excellent repair tutorials now have no photos, and it's unlikely we'll ever retrieve them.

Disclaimer

The MVS Moderators and I offer our guidance for your benefit, for free. We ask for only one thing in return: that you understand that we do not offer any assurances or promises that what we write will fix your car, solve your problem, or provide a safe vehicle. For assurances, please have work diagnosed and performed at a qualified dealer or independent Volvo repair shop.

Volgrrr
Year and Model: '95 T5 wagon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Volgrrr

Post by Volgrrr » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:55 am

Would it improve the post if there were a few boxes dedicated to essential information (e.g. model, year, etc.) that had to be completed before the poster could continue?

There are only two types of car owners - those who own Volvos and those who wish they did.

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:21 pm

Hmmm, what about it Matt? Don't even know if it's a possibility with the site's software, but worth asking.

'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:57 pm

Volgrrr, a fine suggestion. the problem is this software. it's held up well in the ~4 years it's served me/us. however it's getting "long in the tooth", and any work i did to get that functionality would be somewhat of a waste.

i'm going to move the forum over to something newer within 6 months, and at that time i'll be soliciting members' thoughts on how to improve MVS Forum.

any work at that time i'd consider a very good investment.

[off topic: MIJ, i edited your first post to add a couple items]

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:28 pm

[Also off topic- Thanks Matt! :D ]

Added location to the above...

Running into trying to help problem solve Volvo's and find that the model talked about is specific to England, Canada, Australia, etc....a big waste of time when we're talking about 2 different vehicles and don't realize it until after many posts.

'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

wingchun
Year and Model:
wingchun

Thank you!

Post by wingchun » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:03 pm

Hi.
What a wonderful site this is, only been viewing for 2 days and already found your site a tremendous help.
Thanks also to the great posters!
Terry in the UK.

mrreilly
Year and Model: 1998 Volvo S70 GLT
mrreilly

Post by mrreilly » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:19 pm

Here's a funny flash video about posting etiquette.
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Black/Tan
Approx. 173,000 3/27/2010
My major repairs:
Timing Belt, Left&Right Control Arms, Tie-rod ends, Lower Engine Mount, Engine Stabilizer Mount, IPD Sway Bar Links, Brakes , Head Gasket, PCV System, Turbo Rebuild, and more

smigg21
Year and Model:
smigg21

Thank you!

Post by smigg21 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:14 pm

Having the infamous PCV problem on my 94 850 turbo this site has been invaluable with its immense library of relevent content. Soo many solutions to practically EVERY problem with these 850's. Your hard work needs to be recognized, so this is merely a THANK YOU! post. having just become a new member, I've already felt compelled to donate, and after doing so, I can only hope my donation will continue the great work on this forum. once again, and i'm sure i speak for THOUSANDS of people who browse the site without ever registering, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!! you guys rock, happy holidays and seasons greetings to all :D

azureblue
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5
United States of America
azureblue

IS there a remove button?

Post by azureblue » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:21 am

How do you remove a post?

2001 V70 T5, 180K. My seventh Volvo.

billofdurham
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 855, 1995
billofdurham

Post by billofdurham » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:14 pm

Administrators and moderators can remove posts if needed.

Bill.

Work was good - retirement is better.

1996 850GLT 2.5 20v Estate Manual.
1995 Peugeot Boxer 2.5Tdi Autosleeper.
Previously:
1984 244DL, Manual, Beige.
1987 744GLE, Manual, Green.
1991 960 3.0 24v, Auto, Silver.
1994 940T Wentworth, Auto, Blue.