IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Volvo XC90 - Why you love yours!

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
ragtopgto
Year and Model: XC90 2005 T6
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ragtopgto

Re: Volvo XC90 - Why you love yours!

Post by ragtopgto » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:16 pm

We purchased a 2005 XC90 T6 in Dec 2011 w/85k and just this month with 99964 it lost it's tranny battle. Volvo paid 100% of the actual repair.
We love the car, the power, the ride... it's just solid. On our trip to Florida from Ohio on the return trip traffice was horrendous but moving. Fast doing about 80 with a whole line and one guys slams on his brakes. Right lane was clear and had to swerve drastically. If it wasn't for the Volvo and the stability control we would have most definitely rolled(even in a minivan) So Volvo safety and technology is a major plus in my book. I would get another XC90.

songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5, 2004 XC90
United States of America
songzunhuang

Post by songzunhuang » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:35 pm

It's encouraging to hear that they covered the repair even though you bought it used with quite a few miles. I bought mine with only 36K miles and it now has over 72K miles. So far everything in the tranny has been great. (knock on wood). If mine ever goes, I hope the dealer will be as accommodating as yours.

Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com
2004 XC90 T6 AWD Ruby red
1998 V70 T5 - Hurt your eyes red
2000 S2000 - the non Volvo
1984 BMW 633CSi - I'm diversifying

RiverMck
Year and Model: xc90 2007
RiverMck

Post by RiverMck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:25 am

My wife loves her 2007 XC90 after driving a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee for seven years (currently my winter rat). The throaty V8 has such smooth accelaration and power and the ride is out of this world compared to the Jeep. The jeep continues to nickel and dime us, as I have replaced brake calipers every two years, countless suspension and drivetrain parts since we bought that rattle trap.We bought the XC90 with 46K miles and she currently has 94xxxK miles on it.I've had to do some minor repairs that seem common to this vehicle (rear wheel bearings, front abs tone rings cracked, brakes and rotors). Other than that we've been lucky to not have any major problems - knock on wood. After seeing the accident photos in the above post, I am thankful that my wife and two children are travel daily in one of the safest vehicles out there. Here's to many more years of true driving pleasure, comfort and safety.

songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
United States of America
songzunhuang

Post by songzunhuang » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:48 pm

Long term update - my XC90 just turned over the 100K mark over the Thanksgiving holidays. My kid thought I was nuts as I pulled over to take a picture of the odometer at night.

So I bought the car with 36K miles and was very worried about the tranny issues I kept hearing about. Well, it's been over 64K miles now and we haven't has any issue mechanically (knock on wood).

The only thing that cost real money was the stereo amp! I had to replace that at a "discounted" cost of $800. Everything else has been regular maintenance.

To top it off, I now get 20.5mpg pretty regularly. This is better then when I first got the car. Who woulda figured? The main thing I would change about the car? I wish it had an integrated iPhone / iPod jack.

Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com

conflicted
Year and Model: 2006 XC90
conflicted

Post by conflicted » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:43 am

I've placed a post in another section of the XC90 board explaining why I'm disgusted with my 2006 2.5T (bent sparkplug electrode...) so this is a balancing post to state what I like about the car. I bought mine from a colleague who drove it and serviced it like the proverbial grandfather. First to go was an air mass thing for the FI system. Next was a rear wheel bearing. Next was an air conditioner clutch which required a whole new a/c bottle. Fourthly, and far and away the most infuriating, was the ignition key lockout which laid up the car for a week.
I added some 17" wheels+snow tires, trailer hitch and aero roof racks.
I like the killer stereo, the fabulous HVAC system, the seating and comfort, the utility. Simple things like really bright back-up lights, big buttons and knobs that can be operated with gloves on all matter to me. There is an endless supply of aftermarket stuff available both at retail and used.
Gotta roll, thanks for listening to the love-hate rant.

charlieh
Year and Model: 2005 Volvo XC90 T6
charlieh

Post by charlieh » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:37 pm

I have a 2005 XC90 T6 AWD with 146,000 miles. It has every option that was available at that time. Inherited it when I married my wife and she has had it since it was new. Other than minor, normal issues and regular maintenance, it has been a great vehicle. I will absolutely consider another one when it comes time to replace it. I too have heard all of the horror stories about the common issues with this vehicle, but I'm happy with mine.
Charlie

idh63
Year and Model: 2007 XC90 V8 2008 XC
idh63

Post by idh63 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:55 pm

This is my third Volvo

I currently have two. A low milage 2008 XC70 3.2. Not a hint of trouble now at 57K miles. Love this car.

2007 XC90 V8. I love this one more! It has 145k miles. I bought it to tow my sail boat. This car is a hoot to drive around in. It came with new brakes and I just replaced the front suspension rubber bushes myself. The gas milage is not so great, but who cares when you work from home! vroom, vroom. I keep looking for excuses to drive somewhere.

I bought a 2007 so I didn't have to "discover" if the issue with the engine bearing seize had really been attended to.

So, we will see how the tranny lasts. It's not the GM tranny in the older XC90's, so we will see.

If I could change anything about this SUV, it would be the seats. Not as comfy as the XC70 I have. The xc90's are pretty good, the XC70's are really long trip comfy.

idh63
Year and Model: 2007 XC90 V8 2008 XC
idh63

Post by idh63 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:53 am

Just to add a quick note about how awesome this car is.

I just towed my 26' motorsailer from Indianapolis to Lake Lanier, GA for the Memorial day weekend. The XC90 V8 performed flawlessly. I managed to climb Monteagle Mountain pass west bound I24 in Tennessee, at 70MPH.

I have the Volvo Trailer module installed. It alters the shift points making a nice job of holding back upshifts to a higher RPM. My only discomfort is that I felt better not letting it shift into 6th gear by moving the shifter over to the left (manual) when auto shift reached 5th.

I had no problems pulling my boat out of the water at the ramp.

Begather
Year and Model: 2013
Begather

Post by Begather » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:15 am

songzunhuang wrote:
RoyMacDonald wrote:Rebuilt transmissions in the UK have the parts that are know to cause the failure replaced with redesigned parts. Some of the replacement transmissions at the service shop I use are reported to have over 200,000 miles on them now and are still OK.
Can you specify what parts were causing the failure? I'd be very curious and other folks would benefit from this as well.
Did you got the answer yet? I am waiting for the answer from that time.

songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
United States of America
songzunhuang

Post by songzunhuang » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:58 pm

No Begather, I never got the answer to that question. The mystery remains. The good news is that my car with the rebuilt transmission has gone over 70K miles now and the transmission appears to be holding up. I'm thankful for that.

Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com