IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

Just give me a gold star...

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70
byeboy
Year and Model: 850R, 1997

Just give me a gold star...

Post by byeboy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Its nothing but routine maintenance, but yesterday, on my 97 850R :

1. Replaced the driver's door 'check stop' that has been shot since I acquired the car over a year ago (see my post for how I did that),
2. Fixed the passenger side windshield washer nozzle.
3. Replaced the thermostat-to-coolant recovery tank hose with a proper one, which solved my seeping problem I couldn't seem to fix with clamps using generic fuel line.
4. Replaced the Upper Torque Arm rubber biscuit.
5. Replaced the upper Torque Arm inner part (that passes through the firewall)...and boy , was that part shot! (178,000 miles).
6. Replaced my Glove Box Lock that I had to cut it open with a Sawzall, and have had a Bungee Cord holding it shut for months. A real PITA down here in Texas when I need to grab a six gun out of the glove box in a hurry! ( :lol: )

and...sitting beside me as I write this are the lower Transmission Torque Arm Mount and the Front Engine Mount. I will also do a transmission drain and fill while under there, and re-attach the air dam that has fallen of the car twice...this time with new, improved (metal) mounts that I will fab up...all was going to be tomorrow, but business (I'm a Metal Artist) takes me away for a day, so I'll crawl under Saturday, and set about doing good things while listening to Car Talk on NPR! I'm also considering fabbing-up an Engine Support Arm to slightly lift the motor when doing the front mount, just to avoid any jack pressure under that old oil pan!

I just feel so good for finally getting around to fixing all these little things that I had to brag!!

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60
United States of America

Re: Just give me a gold star...

Post by JDS60R » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Congratulations !!!!!!!!
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (11.96 KiB) Viewed 723 times

Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138

jblackburn
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1998 S70 T5
United States of America

Post by jblackburn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:10 pm

Congrats on making your Volvo happy. Hopefully that should satisfy its attention craving for a while ;)

I'd always had a long list of small things (squeaks, rattles, locks not working, headlight wipers...) that needed to be done to my car, but I was too lazy to fix them all because there were always bigger-ticket items coming up that needed to be addressed.

Luckily, those small things annoyed my brother and he's fixed almost all of them now that the car's his :D

My dad used to listen to Car Talk every weekend. And Paul Harvey as he was driving us to school.

'98 S70 T5
2016 Chevy Cruze Premier

A learning experience is one of those things that says, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

mercuic: Long live the tractor motor!

rspi
Year and Model: 850 T-5R Wagon
United States of America

Post by rspi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:45 am

Congrats! I'm actually afraid to finish fixing everything. I'm afraid that something major will happen if I fix all the little stuff. So I always have one thing left undone. :)

BTW, I use a 2x6 to support the motor a little when I do the front mount. Never had a problem in 5 mount changes. Just don't try to lift the car with it.

'95 855 T-5R M, Panther - 22/28 mpg
'98 S70 GLT, Lil' Red 25/32 mpg
--------------------
Volvo's of past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, 960's, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R YellowVolvo Repair Videos

byeboy

Post by byeboy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Well, this morning I did the two bottom mounts (the one under the crank pulley, and the "transmission" mount under the driver's side, towards the front of the car. Both easy to get to, the two took about an hour, so it was "plug n' play". The front mount (under the crank) really didn't look bad, but the PO's records only showed a dealer recommending she replace it...but no record of it being done...I suspect it was, and did not need replacing...same story on the tranny mount...but its hard to tell on that one, because the rubber parts are smaller...but, anyways, both have been done. the top torque arm inner mount was shot, soI figured the engine musta been flopping around..now it should behave itself for a few more miles.

I used Hutchinson Mounts on the torque arms, up and down, a Groton $7.00 biscuit on the upper at the motor, and the front (under crank) is a Rein.

That lower front mount has sufficient access for my Craftsman short socket and Micro Click ratchet handle on both bolts (had to use a pipe on the handle to crack them loose, however)...that give me about four clicks worth of wrenchin' before I ratchet back. Another member was having a lot of trouble using his wrench in here, and, as I recall, many projects back I went to Sears and shelled out lots for this handle just because of its 'micro-click' action, which really pays off in tight situations where you just can't get enough swing to get a conventional handle to 'click'.

Instead of jacking up the motor, I used my "Mini Cherry Picker" (actually a Patient Lift) to attach to the eye on the alternator bracket and lift "just enough". That's one handy tool. I've had three 1 and 2 ton Cherry Pickers, and I keep tripping over them in the garage. This one was cheap, and absolutely spotless when I picked it up a few years ago...and came with brand new Patient lifting sling...should I ever need to pick up bodies in my shop, or clear zombies out of my driveway! :lol:

Last edited by byeboy on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

januwan
Year and Model: 97 850 NA 176 K
United States of America

Post by januwan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:13 pm

Is your seal leaking? I have small oil residue in the same area. :)

januwan

byeboy

Post by byeboy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:22 pm

Yes it is, but I don't know if its the front crank seal or a cam seal (I cracked my head thrust surface by tilting the camshaft when I removed it). I'll be pulling my timing belt cover off to check that...but not today. My oil level has stayed fine, and no drips where I park, so it looks worse than it is. It also looks worse because I had just sprayed it down with Brake Cleaner to clean off the bolts I'd be touching, so its still wet in the picture. All those silver looking "grains" are flash reflection off road grit down there.

loveMy850
Year and Model: 1994 850 WAGON
United States of America

Post by loveMy850 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:20 am

Tolally awesome,I love your sense of humor ,hilarious, Im on the pity pot some Ahole hit my car, thanks for the smile you put on my face, looking for left gold fender, got one? Ill try and meet your price. Congratulations :)

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by abscate » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:02 am

The official MVS symbol of recogntion is...
IMG_2029.jpg
IMG_2029.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 245 times

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

mecheng
Year and Model: 1998 Volvo S70 T5
Canada

Post by mecheng » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:15 am

byeboy wrote:Well, this morning I did the two bottom mounts (the one under the crank pulley, and the "transmission" mount under the driver's side, towards the front of the car. Both easy to get to, the two took about an hour, so it was "plug n' play". The front mount (under the crank) really didn't look bad, but the PO's records only showed a dealer recommending she replace it...but no record of it being done...I suspect it was, and did not need replacing...same story on the tranny mount...but its hard to tell on that one, because the rubber parts are smaller...but, anyways, both have been done. the top torque arm inner mount was shot, soI figured the engine musta been flopping around..now it should behave itself for a few more miles.

I used Hutchinson Mounts on the torque arms, up and down, a Groton $7.00 biscuit on the upper at the motor, and the front (under crank) is a Rein.

That lower front mount has sufficient access for my Craftsman short socket and Micro Click ratchet handle on both bolts (had to use a pipe on the handle to crack them loose, however)...that give me about four clicks worth of wrenchin' before I ratchet back. Another member was having a lot of trouble using his wrench in here, and, as I recall, many projects back I went to Sears and shelled out lots for this handle just because of its 'micro-click' action, which really pays off in tight situations where you just can't get enough swing to get a conventional handle to 'click'.

Instead of jacking up the motor, I used my "Mini Cherry Picker" (actually a Patient Lift) to attach to the eye on the alternator bracket and lift "just enough". That's one handy tool. I've had three 1 and 2 ton Cherry Pickers, and I keep tripping over them in the garage. This one was cheap, and absolutely spotless when I picked it up a few years ago...and came with brand new Patient lifting sling...should I ever need to pick up bodies in my shop, or clear zombies out of my driveway! :lol:

This is why I invested in a high count tooth ratchet, I treated myself with both a Snap On 80 tooth 1/2", and Armstrong model 88 tooth 3/8", but Gearwrench also makes them.

1998 Volvo S70 T5 - SE - 240km
1997 Volvo 850 GLT - 190km
Boost is my drug of choice

Return to “Volvo 850, S70, V70, C70 & V70-XC Forum (1992-2000)”