Server upgrade complete. (New hardware.) Please help if you have time by posting in the Maintenance is Complete thread about things that are broken. Thanks for your help!
IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

Volvo AC High Side Extension/Adapter or Trick? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
Botbasher
Year and Model: 98 "R" & 03 T5 V70
United States of America

Volvo AC High Side Extension/Adapter or Trick?

Post by Botbasher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:02 am

I give!!!

For a week now I have been trying to figure out how to get to the High Side Port on the 03 V70 without great disassembly. This is the one right out in the open... very front of the car.... but just a 1/2" out of reach of the standard QD Coupler for my HVAC Gauge Set. I can just about get it on it, but because the hose attaches to the side, you cannot fit it into the hole provided in the core support.

The only option I can see is to lift the core support a bit and come in under it to attach the adapter. That or cut a slightly larger hole for the hose to go into. There is no way to get at it from the top with the standard design coupler.

I have hit up my friend at work that does HVAC and between he and the local HVAC supply house, they have never seen an extended QD Coupler, so I am at a loss.

I know the system will work because I can access the low side and add a squirt or so there. I added a little bit and it came to life, but that is very difficult way to work on the system as you MUST empty it before adding anything to get a truly accurate charge. I will do that if necessary (how the 98 works), but given the state of this car when I got it, I'd like to properly diagnose the AC system before summer gets here to the Humid State of NC!!!

Any ideas on what has to be fairly well trod ground for this group?

Thanks!

K "sweating it" S
Last edited by Botbasher on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

We have met the enemy and he is us.-Pogo

If speed kills, do brakes give life??

Tags:

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada

Re: Volvo AC High Side Extension/Adapter or Trick?

Post by oragex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Mind sharing what's the issue with the a/c? Unless the radiator gets hit by a stone, these rarely leak and need refilled.
2003 2.4i S60 automatic 120k miles

Botbasher
United States of America

Post by Botbasher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Well.... funny you should mention that!

At some point, at about 7/11 @ 127k, Volvo replaced the radiator in this car. Report doesn't say why, but both the IC and Cond are bowed towards the back, so my guess is that the something went under the car. I don't think it was a parking bumper or curb as it's a nearly perfect arc with no sharp edges in the middle of the car. That being said, I do not think that is the reason it is low since no additional AC related repairs were done according to the report.

As far as I can tell, the car sat from sometime in late 2014 till early in 2017 based on interior evidence and CarFax repair reports which all stopped right about then. AC seals/o-rings are good, but without regular splashings of oil, they can weep and leak and if this thing sat for 3+ years in the hot, humid VA environment, then that would be what I'd go after first. I'm hoping that with a bit of regular running that oil revitalizes the seals and I'm good to go. Otherwise I'll have to reseal the entire system and that's a bear!!

I tossed my gauges on the low side (only one I could easily get) and was able to put a few oz of juice in it. The compressor took off and the system blew cooler than the ambient air. So I know everything was working, but now I want to give it a good going over... pulling a vac and then properly recharging it, but doing all that from the low side is a PITA and you're only getting half the information.

Volvo put the high side port in a very nice location (compared to some of the S80 videos I've watched, but without some unique adapters (SURPRISE!!) you are not getting at it with any standard coupler.

K "consciously coupled" S
Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Heinlein

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by abscate » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Pull a vacuum for an hour, then see if it holds.

Then charge by weight per the sticker. Use 10% less charge in hot climates.
"Its not your ECU, ECM, nor your computer"

1999 V70 T5 M56
2003 Beetle Conv M5
2002 Eurovan
2005 V70 NA M5
2006 BMW X3 E83
Air cooled VW WIP

A houseful of young ladies seats 7
Shepard Husky, Lab
Grey, ginger,black cats

Lots of boats

oragex
Canada

Post by oragex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Indeed it seems to take a special adapter
http://www.justanswer.com/Volvo/5ais6-l ... o-V40.html

Lifting the core sounds risky, the radiator doesn't like to be tossed at all, it is prone to cracking at the hinges. I would rather cut a little with the grinder, just not into the latch nearby

Botbasher
United States of America

Post by Botbasher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:09 pm

abscate wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:56 pm
Pull a vacuum for an hour, then see if it holds.

Then charge by weight per the sticker. Use 10% less charge in hot climates.
Oh... I know how to do it from low side only... I had to do it on the 98 since they only have a single port.

Problem is that it doesn't tell you how the system is working... Compression ratios... Expansion valve... Just fill and hope.

I did find something interesting in the search today though... Maybe someone with VIDA can confirm it. One post referred to reading high side kPa on VIDA... Referring to seeing it low at 1200 and high at 1500kPa.

Can you read high side in the AC system via VIDA?? If so, I can wait till mine arrives and then use the gauge on the low side and VIDA for the high side.

Any port in a storm, right??

K "ported" S

Botbasher
United States of America

Post by Botbasher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:15 pm

oragex wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:05 pm
Indeed it seems to take a special adapter
http://www.justanswer.com/Volvo/5ais6-l ... o-V40.html

Lifting the core sounds risky, the radiator doesn't like to be tossed at all, it is prone to cracking at the hinges. I would rather cut a little with the grinder, just not into the latch nearby
Yep.... Now I just need to know where to get one!! I'll be the bell of the ball!!

Yeah... If it was just an easy lift I'd do it, but it didn't look that way.

That's the plan if I simply can't find an adapter. Make an ovoid hole to allow the hose to exit. There's lots of room to the center of the car for it (only need an inch or so).

But if you can truly read the high side from VIDA, then you wouldn't need to access it!

That's really scary though. I've never seen it recommended to fill from the high side. You get Joe Trunk Slammer filling it and reverses the flow and pops his bottle!!!

K "these guys are nuts" S

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 1999 V70T5, 2005 V70
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: Volvo AC High Side Extension/Adapter or Trick?  Topic is solved

Post by abscate » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:20 am

You can probably monitor the voltage on the high pressure pressostat too...ill see if can find the chart and pinouts
IMG_2099.PNG
IMG_2100.PNG
"Its not your ECU, ECM, nor your computer"

1999 V70 T5 M56
2003 Beetle Conv M5
2002 Eurovan
2005 V70 NA M5
2006 BMW X3 E83
Air cooled VW WIP

A houseful of young ladies seats 7
Shepard Husky, Lab
Grey, ginger,black cats

Lots of boats

oragex
Canada

Post by oragex » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:49 am

this topic also seems to say Vida can read the a/c pressure
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthrea ... ost2263737

Botbasher
United States of America

Post by Botbasher » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:23 pm

That sounds like it will.... That's awesome!!! I'm liking VIDA and tolerating CAN-BUS more and more!!

It was an educational afternoon on this front though. I love old guys with old school knowledge!!

Got my yaw sensor today and took the car out to my buddies to show him my $600 find. We got to talking about the few remaining issues, including the AC. He says follow me and walks me back into his garage.

Now this is a 4 car garage filled with everything from engines to wheels for 4 different cars in various states of restoration. A Bel Air... A Biscayne... A 57 Chevy Wagon!! I love his garage!!

So he digs in this pile and pulls out a old gauge set with air hose type (very thin) and tosses then at me. Yep, those will fit! But before he lets me do anything, he says watch this... And proceeds to show me how to fill the system, from the low side only.... With no gauges!! Only using his fingers and the temp of the return!!

In just a few minutes and a couple blips of the throttle, he had that system blowing amazingly cold!! Gauges confirmed it... Right on the money!!

Just goes to show you that old school is the coolest school around!!! Thanks Joe!!

For the record... Attach your bottle adapter to the low side... Start to fill.... With your fingers on the return line wait until you feel it just start to cool. Stop there... It's full!! Warm return is to little.... Return icing up is to full. Very cool to know since most of those gauges on the AutoZone R-134 refill bottles are notoriously wrong!

Cheers!!

K "frosty" S

Return to “Volvo V70 & XC-70 (2001-2007), S60 (2001-2009)”