IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

Possible to inspect a/c evaporator while replacing heater core?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
DanSC
Year and Model: 2001 S80 2.9
United States of America

Possible to inspect a/c evaporator while replacing heater core?

Post by DanSC » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:07 pm

Hello,

I have a heater core leak, as well as inoperative air conditioning on my 2001 S80 2.9. I'm guessing the issues aren't related, but is it possible to inspect the a/c evaporator with the heater core removed? Perhaps with a borescope? I do plan to inspect the evaporator drain per this guide.

Also, here is what diagnostics I have done on my a/c, in case anyone has advice.
  • The compressor clutch will activate when jumping relay in fuse panel
  • I used one of the low-side fill kits (I know this isn't ideal) to inject R134a with UV dye. Compressor engaged, and I let it run.
  • A consistent hissing sound comes from within the dash with a/c running; this makes me think evaporator or expansion valve leak. Maybe it's just a result of low refrigerant?
  • Compressor eventually wouldn't engage; presumably enough coolant leaked out. When I re-attached the low-side A/C coolant again, the gauge still shows pressure when the a/c switch is off.
  • This part leaves me confused. Now when I turn on the a/c switch, the low-side pressure drops to zero, even though the compressor is not spinning. It's also not taking any refrigerant, judged by weighing the can.
  • I haven't found any leaks under the hood, but I haven't removed the bumper cover to inspect the dryer & condenser.
  • I do plan on getting a real manifold gauge set and vacuum pump.

DanSC
Year and Model: 2001 S80 2.9
United States of America

Re: Possible to inspect a/c evaporator while replacing heater core?

Post by DanSC » Fri May 19, 2017 9:10 am

An update: You can see a portion of the evaporator with the heater core removed, but not nearly enough for a full inspection.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Re: Possible to inspect a/c evaporator while replacing heater core?

Post by jimmy57 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:46 am

I think the compressor is running but you can't see it. Mark the ac clutch hub with a crayon or other and try that again. The a/c pressure will not change like that if the compressor is not running.

Return to “Volvo S80 Forum”