Almost a grand collected! Thanks to you donors. Donation Tally Here.
IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

98 V70 NA fuel pump replacement

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70
bmdubya1198
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
United States of America

Re: 98 V70 NA fuel pump replacement

Post by bmdubya1198 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:42 am

I'm not sure there isn't an even newer style, but I have the newer style fuel pump "canister" in my car, and mine still needed to be modified. Again, I'm not sure if there is a third version, but to my knowledge the older one used in the 850 and the newer one that seems to have started in 1998 will not allow the Bosch insert to fit without modification.
Older style is shown on RobertDIY's video and the newer one on j-dawg's thread...
viewtopic.php?t=71501

abscate wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:56 am
This thread is crying for pictures. Who has done this repair/ mod ?

A pox of P0455 on your house if you didn't take pictures....
Is that why it came up last week? This is your fault!

1998 V70 GLT Black/Tan 180,000 and counting
XC Grille, Silicone Vacuum Hoses, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, iPd Black Silicone Turbo Cooling Hoses, 2,500K Yellow Fogs, '99+ fender marker lights, Home-made MBC @ 9 PSI
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon- work in progress

98v70dad
Year and Model: 98 V70
United States of America

Post by 98v70dad » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:03 am

bmdubya1198 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:26 pm
There is a black casing on the Bosch fuel pump insert, and you need to remove it. The only option I could find was to break it with a screwdriver and some pliers. After removing, you will probably have to reuse the old sock because the new sock is made to fit on the larger fitting on the black casing.
After you take the casing off, it fits like a glove.
I've done a little more looking around (research) and I've come to the conclusion that I won't know what's in my car until I pull it out. I'm also not sure you and I have the same fuel pump assembly based on how many different types are out there. Maybe we have the same assembly and if so what you suggest would work fine for me. The casing looks pretty tough...it will be a challenge to get it off without damaging the fuel pump.

Normally I get prepared in advance so I can get the car back in service quickly, but this time I'm probably going to have to pull the assembly to see what I've got. I'm resisting doing that because I'm afraid I'll damage the old tank/assy seal pulling the assembly out. I have a new one but I want to use it on the final installation. I was impressed (negatively) with how minimal (flimsy) the seal ring is.

I don't really want to reuse the old sock so I've been looking for one to ft a 98. So far the only thing I can find is an aftermarket part at Advance Auto parts. I'm sure the bosch sock is available if I could find the part number. Another option is to carefully cut the plastic ring off of the casing on the new part to use as a spacer once the casing is removed. I'm pretty sure that would work OK. The only issue would be the sock falling off - don't think it would happen but its not an ideal solution.

Any tips ideas or thoughts that anyone can add will be helpful. I've spent at least 3 hours searching this site and others and everything I can find is just a DIY for a straight remove and replace.

Being sold a part that doesn't fit my car when it was THE part that specifically fit my car and there were no footnotes or disclaimers indicating mods would be required really irritates me. Its probably the last thing I'll ever buy from RockAuto. I'd return it, but in the box is a slip of paper telling you you can't return the part after a certain number of days and I bought it months ago. Anyhow buyer beware. I've had nothing but good experiences with all the other online vendors.

PeteB
Year and Model: 1996 Volvo 850 Wagon
United States of America

Post by PeteB » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 am

Are you familiar with how to remove the fuel lines, I'll find the excellent thread on
here and put it in this post.
Are you going to do the epoxy fix - not sure if 98s need it?
Also, there is the vent hose that often fails, at least note if you have a long or short one.
I can't find the thread but here is the picture from another thread where cn90 posted it,
NOTE IT SHOULD SAY PRESS THE INNER RING UPWARD:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... p?id=20112
Last edited by PeteB on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

bmdubya1198
United States of America

Post by bmdubya1198 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:47 am

I can't stand Rock Auto with their warranties. 30 days. Done. I tried to return a lifetime warranty driveshaft giubo disk for my dad's E39 and they said they can only replace it, not even give me store credit. I've had WAY too many issues with them over cheap junk parts. Yet I still go back for some things.
Now that you mention it, I may have done just that with the fitting for the sock. I think I might have cut off the actual fitting and put it on the pump to use the new sock. I don't remember for sure, but I know I at least tossed around that idea.
I still have the box with the "extra" parts, I'll have to check if there's a new sock in it, because that's the best way for me to tell.

XC Grille, Silicone Vacuum Hoses, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, iPd Black Silicone Turbo Cooling Hoses, 2,500K Yellow Fogs, '99+ fender marker lights, Home-made MBC @ 9 PSI

98v70dad
United States of America

Post by 98v70dad » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:34 pm

bmdubya1198 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:47 am
I can't stand Rock Auto with their warranties. 30 days. Done. I tried to return a lifetime warranty driveshaft giubo disk for my dad's E39 and they said they can only replace it, not even give me store credit. I've had WAY too many issues with them over cheap junk parts. Yet I still go back for some things.
Now that you mention it, I may have done just that with the fitting for the sock. I think I might have cut off the actual fitting and put it on the pump to use the new sock. I don't remember for sure, but I know I at least tossed around that idea.
I still have the box with the "extra" parts, I'll have to check if there's a new sock in it, because that's the best way for me to tell.
I've bought two things from Rock Auto and both times I've had unexpected negative surprises which were documented on slips of paper in the shipping box - AFTER I've bought the parts. They won't get any more business from me. If you sell stuff customers are important. I'm no longer a customer of Rock Auto - I'll buy elsewhere in the future even if it costs more.

bmdubya1198
United States of America

Post by bmdubya1198 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:49 pm

98v70dad wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:34 pm
bmdubya1198 wrote:
I've bought two things from Rock Auto and both times I've had unexpected negative surprises which were documented on slips of paper in the shipping box - AFTER I've bought the parts. They won't get any more business from me. If you sell stuff customers are important. I'm no longer a customer of Rock Auto - I'll buy elsewhere in the future even if it costs more.
I've been getting just about everything from FCP Euro since my last episode with Rock Auto. THEY know how to take care of their customers!

98v70dad
United States of America

Post by 98v70dad » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:24 pm

bmdubya1198 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:49 pm
98v70dad wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:34 pm
bmdubya1198 wrote:
I've been getting just about everything from FCP Euro since my last episode with Rock Auto. THEY know how to take care of their customers!
Agreed. I've had nothing but positive experiences with FCPEuro, IPDUSA, RMEuropean, and Autohausaz. RockAuto is on my permanent feces list! Two purchases two problems and I'm out with RockAuto.

bmdubya1198
United States of America

Post by bmdubya1198 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Just checked the box, I DID replace the sock on the pump. I had transferred the fitting like you mentioned.

98v70dad
United States of America

Post by 98v70dad » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:51 am

bmdubya1198 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:26 pm
There is a black casing on the Bosch fuel pump insert, and you need to remove it. The only option I could find was to break it with a screwdriver and some pliers. After removing, you will probably have to reuse the old sock because the new sock is made to fit on the larger fitting on the black casing.
After you take the casing off, it fits like a glove.
I finally got around to replacing the fuel pump on my car. It was a very easy job that only took me about an hour. I reused the seal because the original was still supple and it looked fine. I'll hang onto the new one I bought and use it some other time if I need it.

I used a pair of wire clippers like this to snip away the black casing.
snips.jpg
snips.jpg (4.12 KiB) Viewed 183 times
The snips really made quick work of removing the casing. I wasn't able to make a spacer for the new fuel sock that fit so I reused the old one. The old one looked fine to me - not brittle and not plugged, just discolored a little.

I replaced the pump because I couldn't resist the $54 price and the previous one was old enough that I thought it might be the source of the droning sound my car is making. No joy there, I've still got the droning but at least I've eliminated a possible source. The car has a little more pep now so that's nice. I'll add the old fuel pump to my pile of spares (parts proactively replaced that still work).

Return to “Volvo 850, S70, V70, C70 & V70-XC Forum (1992-2000)”