IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

DIY: ECC Cabin Temperature Sensor Removal/Replacement/Cleaning

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70
bmdubya1198
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
United States of America

DIY: ECC Cabin Temperature Sensor Removal/Replacement/Cleaning

Post by bmdubya1198 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:58 pm

There's probably a DIY floating around somewhere for this, but I had my camera handy and I figured it would be easy enough to write something up and hopefully help someone out who needs to clean or replace their ECC temp sensor. And another DIY writeup can only be a good thing, right?
I've had a code for a while for the ECC temperature sensor, and within the past few months it started buzzing constantly. I have cleaned it before through the vent with compressed air, but it must not have done much.
The buzzing finally got me irritated enough to pull it out and clean it a little more carefully, and lubricate the little fan to eliminate the buzzing sound.
This applies to the S70, V70, and C70. The 850 has a different setup.

The temperature sensor is located behind the small vent next to the switch panel with the sunroof and rear defrost switches. You may be able to clean off the dust through the vent with either a can of compressed air or an air compressor blow gun, but I decided to remove it to make cleaning it a little easier.
IMG_1755.JPG
First thing you need to do is remove the radio, using the two tabs on the sides. Just push them in, with your finger nail or a coin and pull it right out. No need to disconnect the wires, just rest the head unit on the console. Put a towel or something over your shift knob if you’re worried about scratching it.
IMG_1758.JPG
Reach behind the ECC unit and pull it forward to remove.Take note of the position of the connector prior to removal to make it easier to replace. The temp sensor is held in by four clips, two on top and two on bottom. If it’s a little stubborn, pivot it up and down a little bit. Disconnect the two green connectors and slide the radio back in place.
IMG_1757.JPG
IMG_1756.JPG
Now you should be able to see the temperature sensor to the left. Reach around and depress the two tabs and pull it back gently. It’s a little tricky to find the tabs at first, but once you pull it out, it’s much easier to see.
Then pull the connector and remove it from the car.
IMG_1753.JPG
If you’re just replacing the sensor, skip the next two steps.

At this point, you’ll see the temperature sensor itself, and the fan in the bottom of the sensor. Use your choice of canned air or an air compressor to blow the dust out of the unit. I went ahead and sprayed the sensor with MAF sensor cleaner to make sure any dirt or dust was completely removed.
IMG_1746.JPG
Now, in my case, the fan bearing was making an awful buzzing noise. I went ahead and used some CRC plastic-safe, electrical grade lubricant on the base of the fan and spun it around a bit to make sure it coated it completely. I sprayed more MAF sensor cleaner on the sensor and the plastic to try to prevent any lubricant from fouling the sensor and potentially damaging it. I’m not liable if you ruin your temperature sensor doing this!
IMG_1747.JPG
At this point I reinstalled the sensor (just pop it back into place). Once you find the connectors for the ECC unit that most likely fell into your dash, reconnect it and push the unit back into place. It will click right in. Resecure the radio head unit if you didn’t already.

Turn on your car and enjoy the lack of buzzing! If your sensor was saved, your ECC unit should stop blinking at you that there is an error. Unfortunately mine did not, but I might just have to manually clear the ECC codes with Vol-FCR. Or the sensor is shot.

Anyway, I hope this will help out somebody!
These users thanked the author bmdubya1198 for the post:
wizechatmgr

1998 V70 GLT Black/Tan 180,000 and counting
XC Grille, Silicone Vacuum Hoses, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, iPd Black Silicone Turbo Cooling Hoses, 2,500K Yellow Fogs, '99+ fender marker lights, Home-made MBC @ 9 PSI
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon- work in progress

wizechatmgr
Year and Model: 1999 V70 XC AWD
United States of America

Re: DIY: ECC Cabin Temperature Sensor Removal/Replacement/Cleaning

Post by wizechatmgr » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Only thing I'd add to this is put a rag over your hands/arms as you're extracting the ECC unit otherwise you may get cut up as it suddenly releases without warning.

Great write up :)

Wisdom requires knowledge as a prerequisite, but knowledge can be developed due to a lack of wisdom.
In order to learn how to fix something, you must first learn how to break it.
1999 V70 XC AWD - ~150k miles

bmdubya1198
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
United States of America

Post by bmdubya1198 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:05 pm

wizechatmgr wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:29 pm
Only thing I'd add to this is put a rag over your hands/arms as you're extracting the ECC unit otherwise you may get cut up as it suddenly releases without warning.

Great write up :)
Thanks!
Yeah, I watched Robert's video where he said he needed stitches after cutting his wrists on that trim. You have to be very careful pulling out the ECC unit.

1998 V70 GLT Black/Tan 180,000 and counting
XC Grille, Silicone Vacuum Hoses, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, iPd Black Silicone Turbo Cooling Hoses, 2,500K Yellow Fogs, '99+ fender marker lights, Home-made MBC @ 9 PSI
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon- work in progress

scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R
Canada

Post by scot850 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:48 am

Agreed, wear long sleeves and gloves. Gloves and sleeves for removing the ECC (850 is worse!) and long sleeves for removing the temp sensor as the ECC slot has sharp edges and likes to slice your forearm when reaching through the slot.

I wrote something on this a while ago, but this is a better version and the pictures are better too! Well done. This is a simple job to do in reality, but worth doing as most of these cars are up to 20 years old and the amount or airborne crud they have consumed over those years will amaze you! Only other point I would make is that the temp sensor unit does fail with age, so don't be surprised if cleaning it doesn't fix the issue.

Neil.
These users thanked the author scot850 for the post:
bmdubya1198

1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed

Return to “Volvo 850, S70, V70, C70 & V70-XC Forum (1992-2000)”