IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

To VIDA or not to VIDA, that is the question...

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" cars.
2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R
flyplain
Year and Model: 2009 S60
United States of America

To VIDA or not to VIDA, that is the question...

Post by flyplain » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Hello everybody and thanks to all for sharing knowledge and information to help the DIY folks.

I have a 2009 S60 2.5T AWD sedan. Hit a deer. Steering wheel bag blew. All three rear seat belt tensioners blew. Driver's seat belt tensioner blew.

All said components have been replaced, SRS module was reset, and all relative codes cleared and stayed gone.

Two SRS codes remain, however, and they return immediately after being cleared by a $6000 Snap On scanner.

0259 and 0261 - OCCUPANT WEIGHT SENSOR SIGNAL MISSING OR DISABLED

Please be patient here, as I am well aware that there are numerous other posts regarding these exact codes. My following questions are very specific and have not been answered in any post I have found. Let me clarify that all connections have been checked and there are no kinks in any hoses or harnesses.

Question One: Even though no front passenger side air bag was deployed, is it possible that the small black OWS module located under the seat was affected and therefore needs to be replaced or reset?

Question Two: If the answer to Question One is YES, then will purchasing a VIDA DICE from a reputable online source give me the ability to reset and/or recalibrate the OWS module?

Where I live there is no Volvo dealership, but a local shop does have VIDA. Problem is, they would charge over $200 just to plug it in with no guarantee of a fix.

Question Three: Is there anybody within 100 miles or so of Duluth, MN who has a VIDA DICE and would be willing to save me from this OWS mire I've got myself into?

Of course any and all suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Re: To VIDA or not to VIDA, that is the question...

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:39 pm

I don't have any specific answers to your questions about the SRS itself.

However the $70 or so I spent on a DICE-unit on eBay have been money well spent for me. Clearing error codes once would have cost the same as the DICE over here and it didn't take me too long until I needed it. Apart from clearing codes I've used to the read the actual engine temperature while driving and could replace my thermostat that was keeping the enginge from getting properly warm even though the DIM gauge was right in the middle.

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America

Post by vtl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:39 pm

DiCE/VIDA will allow you to properly diagnose and test the problem yourself. Software upload in US is possible too, but you need to buy a 3-day (or more) VIDA subscription + buy software. Not too expensive though.

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia

Re: To VIDA or not to VIDA, that is their question...

Post by precopster » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:18 am

Once you have a Dice unit and want to change any "dealer only" settings you can contact Doublebug as he has the knowledge and expertise to perform changes to your SRS module if required.

From what I understand the Volvo servers can tell if a Dice copy is being used so if you want to do this "all legit" you'll need the real deal.

In your particular case the module may require a software download to re-enable its full function. I have heard of this problem and a sort of "latch" needs to be reset.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2001 V70 T5, 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

flyplain
United States of America

Post by flyplain » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks for the replies everybody... it seems my key question is already answered:

"...the module may require a software download to re-enable its full function. I have heard of this problem and a sort of "latch" needs to be reset."

I've repaired a lot of airbag systems on a lot of different models of vehicles, and this Volvo is by far the most complicated. In almost every other case, if no bags were deployed on the passenger side or in the rear, then none of the relative components in those regions of the cabin required attention. Only the steering wheel bag deployed in my case, yet I've had to replace all belts/tensioners in the rear also, and I'm hoping if I can find the necessary means to "reset" the OWS module in the passenger seat, that will be the end of my problems.

Which brings to mind Question Four:

If I buy a used OWS module from a vehicle that has never had any airbags deployed, would installing that into my car fix the problem, or are there more complications? If it's just a "latch" that needs to be reset, and if on a used module that "latch" has never been triggered, it seems like that might resolve my issue???

My reason for hesitating to invest in VIDA/DICE plus software, etc., is because I feel like I might end up with some equipment I don't really know how to use to its fullest capacity, and also I remain uncertain as to whether it can do exactly what I need in this particular case.

It seems my best bet is to try to open some communication with Doublebug...

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden

Post by Rattnalle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:10 am

I think this might be in part due to the fact that here in Sweden any car that has had the airbags deployed is generally considered a total loss by the insurance company and those cars are without exception scrapped for parts regardless of age. Thus the cars are made to be very safe once.

precopster
Australia

Post by precopster » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:25 pm

You don't need to install Vida. All you will need to do is to connect Dice to USB port and install USB drivers for it.

Besides Doublebug (or Yagger who can also do this) works through the internet only so he will remote in with his special software that he provides through Team Viewer or other means.

I caught a screen capture of how to search for a member. Then you click on the member name then choose Private Message.
Attachments
Screenshot_20171014-082154.png

flyplain
United States of America

Post by flyplain » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Unfortunately I am making no progress on my dilemma.

The Occupant Weight Sensor system consists of several components, but since my car is in near mint condition I just don't think any of the parts inside the seat are bad. So I thought the problem might be the OWS module which is bolted to the bottom of the seat and can be replaced without removing the leather upholstery.

I don't know how to insert an image of the part I'm referring to, but if you can go to eBay and look up this item you will see a photo of the part:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-2005- ... 1438.l2649

If anybody has personal experience with replacing or somehow resetting this exact OWS module please let me know how you resolved your problem. And if there are any members who live within 150 miles of Duluth, MN who have the Volvo diagnostic tools required to reset this OWS system I'd be glad to drive to where ever I need to in order to get this air bag warning light to go out.

Thanks.

precopster
Australia

Post by precopster » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:42 am

Sure if you can find someone with a Dice setup that "might" work but have a backup plan setup for when things don't work.

If you setup an online appointment via Skype with Doublebug or Yagger for when you catch up with the other forum member you won't waste your trip if things go awry.

Return to “Volvo V70 & XC-70 (2001-2007), S60 (2001-2009)”