IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Anyone ever fit an interior trunk release?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Yaworski
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:13 am
Year and Model: 2002 S60
Location: Western PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
United States of America
Yaworski

Anyone ever fit an interior trunk release?

Post by Yaworski » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Volvo seems to have a thing about trunks and hatch releases. My V70 has no way to unlock the tailgate if the central locking system isn't working. No key slot. So if you have a dead battery, you can't get to your jumper cables.

My new-to-me 2002 has a key slot for the trunk but the manual says "use only in emergencies" because using the key slot will set off the alarm.

The silly car has a button to allow the rear headrests to flip forward and a button for "valet mode" which makes little sense because if you give the valet the "valet key" he can't open the trunk anyway and if he has the regular key he can turn "valet mode" off.

So why isn't there a button to release the trunk lid? Let's say I'm dropping my kids off at school and their bookbags are in the trunk. I have to fumble with the remote to open the trunk for them.

So now for the question. Has anyone figured a way to rig a release for the trunk lid so that I can do it from the driver's seat? An electrical button would be fine. A cable release would be great as well.



User avatar
June
Posts: 1467
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 11:18 am
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Has thanked: 217 times
Been thanked: 112 times
United States of America
June

Re: Anyone ever fit an interior trunk release?

Post by June » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 pm

As long as the central locking system is unlocked the trunk is unlocked and the button to open the trunk is between the tag lights. So a extra button inside to open the trunk is unnecessary. If the car is locked the button won't work. The valet lock button is so the trunk won't unlock with the central locking system effectively preventing the valet access to the trunk. My V70 had a keyhole under a flap to open the tale gate and all doors could be unlocked there. Also had a lock button like the doors that went up and down for locked and unlocked.

The button for the headrests is for short people who might be trying to backup and can't see they can push the button to move the rear headrests out of the way instantly. I like that button personally. June.
These users thanked the author June for the post:
Yaworski


My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

Yaworski
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:13 am
Year and Model: 2002 S60
Location: Western PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
United States of America
Yaworski

Re: Anyone ever fit an interior trunk release?

Post by Yaworski » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 pm

June wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 pm
As long as the central locking system is unlocked the trunk is unlocked and the button to open the trunk is between the tag lights. So a extra button inside to open the trunk is unnecessary.
I didn't see that in the manual but that doesn't mean much. Thanks.

If wasn't 11 PM and sleeting, I'd be running outside to check that out.

The valet lock button is so the trunk won't unlock with the central locking system effectively preventing the valet access to the trunk.
Ah! Sorta makes sense but that has no bearing on my life since I don't have the valet key.
My V70 had a keyhole under a flap to open the tale gate and all doors could be unlocked there. Also had a lock button like the doors that went up and down for locked and unlocked.
No key at all, hidden or otherwise on my 2001 V70. V70s of my vintage that had the third seat had the key in the tailgate and the interior latch. I had found a junked V70 with the third seat and planned to scavenge the locks for the tailgate but the car had other plans.
The button for the headrests is for short people who might be trying to backup and can't see they can push the button to move the rear headrests out of the way instantly. I like that button personally. June.
I like that the headrests tip out of the way, I just think that having an electrical release and getting a computer involved adds too many levels of complication.

Thanks again.



User avatar
mrbrian200
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 am
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
Location: Northern Indiana/Chicago
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 78 times
United States of America
mrbrian200

Re: Anyone ever fit an interior trunk release?

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:33 am

The valet button is useful when you leave the car window cracked or down, such as on a very hot day. Somebody may be able to access central locking via the button on the door panel, but they still cant get to valuables hidden in the trunk. Hint: put valuables in the trunk.



User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 1482
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 105 times
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: Anyone ever fit an interior trunk release?

Post by Rattnalle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:28 am

mrbrian200 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:33 am
The valet button is useful when you leave the car window cracked or down, such as on a very hot day. Somebody may be able to access central locking via the button on the door panel, but they still cant get to valuables hidden in the trunk. Hint: put valuables in the trunk.
Only really works on a sedan though and they have key holes to begin with as far as I know. On an estate you'll reach the boot easily from the front by folding the seats.

If you lock the car using the remote all the interior handles and lock switches are disengaged by the way.



User avatar
June
Posts: 1467
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 11:18 am
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Has thanked: 217 times
Been thanked: 112 times
United States of America
June

Re: Anyone ever fit an interior trunk release?

Post by June » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:39 am

Yaworski wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 pm
June wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 pm
As long as the central locking system is unlocked the trunk is unlocked and the button to open the trunk is between the tag lights. So a extra button inside to open the trunk is unnecessary.
I didn't see that in the manual but that doesn't mean much. Thanks.

If wasn't 11 PM and sleeting, I'd be running outside to check that out.

The valet lock button is so the trunk won't unlock with the central locking system effectively preventing the valet access to the trunk.
Ah! Sorta makes sense but that has no bearing on my life since I don't have the valet key.
My V70 had a keyhole under a flap to open the tale gate and all doors could be unlocked there. Also had a lock button like the doors that went up and down for locked and unlocked.
No key at all, hidden or otherwise on my 2001 V70. V70s of my vintage that had the third seat had the key in the tailgate and the interior latch. I had found a junked V70 with the third seat and planned to scavenge the locks for the tailgate but the car had other plans.
The button for the headrests is for short people who might be trying to backup and can't see they can push the button to move the rear headrests out of the way instantly. I like that button personally. June.
I like that the headrests tip out of the way, I just think that having an electrical release and getting a computer involved adds too many levels of complication.

Thanks again.
Here's a picture of mine.


Really the headrests rarely get in the way enough to push the button but it is convenient in that tight spot. I secretly think the designer of this feature secretly wanted a teenager attention getter. LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

User avatar
mrbrian200
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 am
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
Location: Northern Indiana/Chicago
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 78 times
United States of America
mrbrian200

Re: Anyone ever fit an interior trunk release?

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:16 am

I very much appreciate that the headrests flip down with a button. I'm not 'short' but I appreciate the increased visibility in city traffic. The electric rear headrests were a selling point for me. My previous car was just old enough that it didn't have rear headrests. And I didn't appreciate other people's vehicles with rear headrests which usually are either fixed or you have to manually remove and store them. They block rearview visibility which I don't like when I drive into Chicago. In dense urban traffic every little bit (of increased visibility) makes a difference. In small farmer town Indiana it's not quite so critical.



User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 1482
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 105 times
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: Anyone ever fit an interior trunk release?

Post by Rattnalle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:52 am

Heh. Here in Europe it seems to be unfashionable at the moment to make cars that you can see out of in any direction but forwards. Except when using the 360-degree camera on the dash. It's gotten slowly worse for quite a while now.

Regarding head rests. Since when do cars not have them? They've been a standard feature for at least 40 years by now ;-)



Yaworski
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:13 am
Year and Model: 2002 S60
Location: Western PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
United States of America
Yaworski

Re: Anyone ever fit an interior trunk release?

Post by Yaworski » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Rattnalle wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:28 am
On an estate you'll reach the boot easily from the front by folding the seats.
Easily is a relative term. I'm really past the age to go climbing into the back of the car through the side doors.
If you lock the car using the remote all the interior handles and lock switches are disengaged by the way.
Interesting. Something else to break.



Yaworski
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:13 am
Year and Model: 2002 S60
Location: Western PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
United States of America
Yaworski

Re: Anyone ever fit an interior trunk release?

Post by Yaworski » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Rattnalle wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:52 am
Regarding head rests. Since when do cars not have them? They've been a standard feature for at least 40 years by now ;-)
My first car with them was a 1971 Ford Torino. My issue is that it is a silly thing to put a button on the dash to drop the rear headrests.



Post Reply