IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Water in Gas

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Re: Water in Gas

Post by June » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:57 am

sucanache wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:49 am
After taking off the fuel rail and dumping the water, etc. out, I reinstalled it and the car ran ok for a few minutes, with some misses, Now back to the same as it was. I have added a can of Heet. Planning to repeat the removal, dump process today. any suggestions beyond that? Can I take the rail off, put tubing on the gas line and use the fuel pump to pump some of the contaminated gas out of the lines/tank?
If you have that much water in the tank, you might need to drain the tank. Otherwise add several gallons of E85 to put enough ethanol in to absorb the water. I ran my S80 on 1/2 E85 1/2 the previous fuel by mistake and the car ran great. No engine light, but got a few mpg worse on that tank. I thought I was putting in Super Premium Unleaded. E85 was new back then and I did not know what it was. Didn't hurt anything, and I never made that mistake again. It might allow the water to pass. June
These users thanked the author June for the post:
sucanache

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

sucanache
Year and Model: 2008
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
sucanache

Post by sucanache » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:31 am

Took off rail, put hose on fuel line and pumped about 1 1/2 gallons of water out of it. PS -it will syphon from that fuel line if you have enough hose to get down to ground level. I used some fuel line that I had on hand.

sucanache
United States of America
sucanache

Post by sucanache » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Still missing occasionally at startup. Any ideas? still have about 3/4 tank of the gas left. Run it out?

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 pm

That's a lot of water.
You might look at the station where you last purchased gas as a possible cause. It happens.

Once a year or so locally I'll hear of some station where their underground tank didn't get sealed properly after a delivery and a torrential rain ends up in people's fuel tanks. Or the local news will pick up on an a state EPA action against a station forcing them to repair/replace a leaky underground tank or get shut down permanently. Sometimes this was after the EPA was tipped off by driver complaints (bad quality gas/water in gas). In most states you file a complaint with the state EPA.

Or you have an enemy or juvenile pranksters in the neighborhood.

In any case if you decide the water likely came from a gas station... I took 5 seconds to google it for your state. In Mississippi you file a complaint with the department of agriculture and commerce http://www.mdac.ms.gov/wp-content/uploa ... _sheet.pdf.
These users thanked the author mrbrian200 for the post (total 2):
sucanacheoragex

sucanache
United States of America
sucanache

Post by sucanache » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:37 pm

Thank you.

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:09 pm

sucanache wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:02 am
Thank you!
How is the car running? Did you do anything particular that solved the problem? I read you siphoned from the fuel rail over a gallon of water. That is not normal, either someone garden hosed your tank or you really got bad gas. June
These users thanked the author June for the post:
sucanache

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

sucanache
United States of America
sucanache

Post by sucanache » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:45 pm

Is there any possible way for 1 1/2 gallons of water to get into the tank other than through the filler cap? Car is parked under motion detector lights and of course has the electric fuel door. Do not believe it was "messed with" in any way.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:09 pm

mrbrian200 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 pm
That's a lot of water.
You might look at the station where you last purchased gas as a possible cause. It happens.

Once a year or so locally I'll hear of some station where their underground tank didn't get sealed properly after a delivery and a torrential rain ends up in people's fuel tanks. Or the local news will pick up on an a state EPA action against a station forcing them to repair/replace a leaky underground tank or get shut down permanently. Sometimes this was after the EPA was tipped off by driver complaints (bad quality gas/water in gas). In most states you file a complaint with the state EPA.

Or you have an enemy or juvenile pranksters in the neighborhood.

In any case if you decide the water likely came from a gas station... I took 5 seconds to google it for your state. In Mississippi you file a complaint with the department of agriculture and commerce http://www.mdac.ms.gov/wp-content/uploa ... _sheet.pdf.

All good answers imho. I can't see how water from rain would get to the tank, the tank is a highly sealed part, if there would've been a 'gap' somewhere, it would smell gasoline to the point of getting nausea just being near the car. Still worth a check of the tank cap (check the rubber seal or better get a used one from the scrap yard) and also check the fuel door is locking once the car starts moving (think prankster/not so friendly neighbor).

If it comes from a gas station, it is easy to find/prove the culprit: Just fill a few ounces in a gasoline can at the station and look for water separation

https://www.cheapcarinsurance.net/gas-s ... iolations/
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consum ... nk-n776016
http://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels-news- ... ne-posting
https://www.click2houston.com/news/gas- ... 3153811573
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
sucanache

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

sucanache
United States of America
sucanache

Post by sucanache » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:50 pm

The car seems to be running very well. It starts quickly and idles like it should. Power and acceleration back to normal.
The fuel supplier is saying that they can find no evidence of water in their tanks.