IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

My first Volvo less then 17 years old

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: My first Volvo less then 17 years old

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:53 am

June wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:42 am
Rattnalle wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 am
The newer systems are supposed to be much more forgiving when it comes to different tyre wear than the old ones.
Is a 05 the "new system" or old like my 1998 was? If the 05 S80 has the type on my 1998 V70 GT Cross Country I felt he should be warned to be careful about mismatched tire wear while looking and what not to do if a tire needs replacement in the future. June
It's a very different construction so yes in this context it's newer. Your old one had the viscous coupling. The newer are Haldex systems. There are several generations of Haldex and I think 04 and later are considered relatively trouble free compared to the earlier models.

But personally I avoid it as well. Its not needed in Sweden either unless you live on a steep hill or something. Proper winter tyres is much more important. I'd quite prefer having a bit less traction for the engine than the brakes anyway.
These users thanked the author Rattnalle for the post:
June

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:04 am

Just to add some perspective, the list of potential issues being referenced potentially applies to every other make/model at this age and mileage.

The PCV system is a little more labor intensive to service than some other cars, but it's really not that bad in the hands of someone who is familiar with the procedure.
....balanced out by...
The Timing belt service is less labor intensive on these than many other vehicles. On all vehicles Volvo or otherwise this is a critical service item that must be done with quality parts by somebody who knows what they're doing.

If the AWD system if functioning without issue when you buy the car, future problems can be largely avoided with preventative maintenance. I can't think of any other make/model AWD system where it isn't considered a good idea to check and change the fluids and lube components (Front and rear differentials/CV/Ujoints/carrier bearings, seals etc) in the system at this age/mileage.
Same for checking the condition of the trans fluid and changing if necessary.

Subaru has a slogan 'Love is what makes a Subaru a Subaru'. I read into that not just as a statement of initial quality, but also a gentle nudge to owners that if you want the car to run forever and be reliable, you can't neglect standard and preventative maintenance. This absolutely applies to a 13 year old Volvo, or frankly, anything else you're going to get your hands at that age/mileage. If you want one of the nicest, more solidly constructed cars ever made, get the Volvo.

But to think you're going to buy a 13 year old car, Volvo or otherwise, that isn't going to need a little time and money thrown at it on a semi-regular basis would be completely delusional.

Edit, with regard to Subaru. I have a cousin that thought he could buy an 8 year old Outback with around 70k miles and run it without paying attention to anything except oil changes. He got a year and a half out of it until it ended up effectively dead in his driveway (he got rid of it).
Last edited by mrbrian200 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:34 am

Rattnalle wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:53 am
June wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:42 am
Rattnalle wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 am
The newer systems are supposed to be much more forgiving when it comes to different tyre wear than the old ones.
Is a 05 the "new system" or old like my 1998 was? If the 05 S80 has the type on my 1998 V70 GT Cross Country I felt he should be warned to be careful about mismatched tire wear while looking and what not to do if a tire needs replacement in the future. June
It's a very different construction so yes in this context it's newer. Your old one had the viscous coupling. The newer are Haldex systems. There are several generations of Haldex and I think 04 and later are considered relatively trouble free compared to the earlier models.

But personally I avoid it as well. Its not needed in Sweden either unless you live on a steep hill or something. Proper winter tyres is much more important. I'd quite prefer having a bit less traction for the engine than the brakes anyway.
I actually did not believe my trusted dealership when they told me the new system is not a issue, but your answer makes since to me though I don't know what a viscous coupling or a Haldex is or does. They sound completely different which is what makes since to me that they must be completely different systems. I can tell you when the 98 system explodes on the interstate it did quite a bit of dammage. Had Volvo not been so good honoring the warranty throughout all the various breakdowns with the AWD it probably would have cost me more than the depreciation from new till trade in early 1998 through late 2001. June

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

Rattnalle
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:46 pm

June: To simplify it's a dumb system that mechanically reacts to differences in how to wheels move vs an intelligent electronic system that calculates how to react and can allow a bit of movement before kicking in. The electronics allows small differences in wheel diameter for example. I think the systems they sell now are pretty fool proof. They're on pretty much every car from several brands over here. It's the latest fashion for city dwellers who rarely see even light snow to get AWD for some incomprehensible reason. The car makers are happy since they charge a lot extra :roll:
These users thanked the author Rattnalle for the post:
June

aahmes57
Year and Model: V70 1999
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
aahmes57

Post by aahmes57 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:14 am

Is there a way to check if the AWD works besides spinning the wheels? I didn't know how to check that. They never tell you the whole story in the ad, or on the phone.
I appreciate all the discussion. You can't help but learn more then you thought when you log on this site and ask a question.

Thanks again

1991 740 (saved a life)
1998 S70 Turbo caught fire, very sad day
1995 850 sold
1999 V70 Base daily driver

Rattnalle
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:48 am

aahmes57 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:14 am
Is there a way to check if the AWD works besides spinning the wheels? I didn't know how to check that. They never tell you the whole story in the ad, or on the phone.
I appreciate all the discussion. You can't help but learn more then you thought when you log on this site and ask a question.

Thanks again
Not that I've heard of really. Checking error codes using VIDA could give something though I think the most common fault is a mechanical coupling that breaks and thus doesn't throw any error codes.

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:43 pm

It might be worth paying the dealer to do a overall inspection with estimated repairs if any are needed. June

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:11 pm

aahmes57 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:14 am

Thanks again

I've heard that one can slide under the car and try spinning the propeller shaft by hand: if it spins, the AWD is mechanically damaged. But at 100K if it wasn't already repaired it's only a matter of time. Plus, there is the AWD module that can fail because of corrosion (really expensive), it's pump as well.

But with the S80 being already low to the ground only way to check this is to put it on ramps in a garage (all wheels on ground)

Again, typically a 100K miles car is sold by it's original owner before the repairs start to pile up. One that had more miles but was already fixed may be also worth a look.

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

claricia48
Year and Model: 1998 classic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
France
claricia48

Post by claricia48 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:06 am

aahmes57 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:26 am
Thank you for the Advice. I guess I'm a little disapointed about the AWD (daughter has to have) But it fits.
I have an appointment tonight. Of course the T-belt has to be done Thanks Refus de Crédit. I'll do that if I buy it. Like you said, you know it's done and done right with the right parts. Thanks for the tip on the AWD oil change. Never thought of it.
Thanks
John
I love it, it's both cool and classy. In addition, the line is well thought out. Thank you for these small explanations.