IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Looking to purchase a S60R and have some questions

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

GBooth
Year and Model: 2005 S60R
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
GBooth

Looking to purchase a S60R and have some questions

Post by GBooth » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:27 pm

Hello, so i am looking to purchase a used S60R and have some questions. My main concern is with potential repair costs, seeing as how the vehicle i would be purchasing would most likely be over 100k miles. My dad has owned an R in the past and recommended that i don't get one until i have a steady income because i won’t be able to afford repair costs. He said that the main concern with these engines is the angle gear and slave cylinder. Assuming that i was to purchase a 2005 R with around 120k miles that is in good condition, and has been Volvo serviced, what type of issues should i anticipate, and what potential price range am i looking at?

I am a freshman in college and am looking for a rather inexpensive car (around 5k), that i can learn from through my own repairs and performance modifications, yet still comes stock with a good amount of power. Would you recommend looking into other cars first that would be a bit more forgiving? My family is a huge Volvo family, and my dad spends a lot of time on these forms and is very knowledgeable about Volvos especially the R, but i would consider a different manufacturer.

In addition to potential future repairs, what type of performance mods are common with the R, that can boost it to the maximum hp and torque? I have heard that with the Volvo in-line 5 engines, you don’t want to exceed 450hp or else you risk shortening the engines life.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Re: Looking to purchase a S60R and have some questions

Post by matthew1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Well, good question. To answer your question, let me pose this mental exercise to you:
  • Sharp looking and fast
  • Mechanically sound
  • Cheap
Pick any two.

Given a large enough sample, this law always comes into effect. Because you're by definition a sample of 1 if you're buying one car, you may get around this law, whether it's to your overall advantage (good luck strikes! - you got all three! :D ) or overall disadvantage (oh no bad luck! - you got only one :cry: ).

The way you can beat this law is to do what you're doing now (well, partially) - do your homework. The other part is to use that knowledge gained doing your homework to check out the S60 R Volvos you find very carefully.

Don't fall in love. Use your brain not your heart. Post pics here while you're looking if you want/can.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/categ ... yers-guide

Start there. I'll add more if I have time.

Welcome to MVS, btw.
These users thanked the author matthew1 for the post (total 2):
GBoothantigone

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:54 pm

matthew1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:00 pm
Don't fall in love. Use your brain not your heart.

Or if you can't do this (like most of us :oops: ), go shop along with someone who can 8)

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 am

I rarely disagree with Dad because he is right about 90% of the time, but I think he is off on that one. With Volvo’s and MVS, if you can do the labor, Volvo is a great line for a good fun Car. My kids know my wallet will open up if they need to get a tool to DIY something , it’s thebest tuition aDad can spend.

Find a cared for s60, but leave the heavy performance mods out until you finish school. 450 HP is ridiculous power, these cars come with plenty of power stock. A couple of speeding tickets and your insurance costs will be eating your retirement. It really works that way.
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
GBooth

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:47 am

(good luck strikes! - you got all three! :D )
In this mathematical equation I should have named that variable better. It can be luck, or it can be hard work and diligence while buying. You can absolutely bend the equation to your favor.

In fact, MVS (read: you, me and everyone here) at its core IS a bending of that rule. We are a gigantic anomaly because we arm ourselves with knowledge.

GBooth, just by being here and posting, you've put yourself in a group of statistically improved odds at the goal of attaining all three goals:
  • Sharp looking and fast
  • Mechanically sound
  • Cheap

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

erikv11
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R
United States of America
erikv11

Post by erikv11 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:50 am

S60 T5 yes, but it is very, very difficult to own a P2 R cheaply. I'm doing OK so far but I gave up the AWD for while, and haven't yet replaced the cheap coils that came with the car. Rear 4C shocks are coming due soon, keeping an eye on the control arms ...

Along with the #1 rule (maintenance history) if you get an automatic I'd highly recommend getting an 07 if you can find it, you will bypass potential transmission woes.

'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 140k
'98 S70 NA, 210k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 280k
'06 S60 R, 160k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

velorider
Year and Model: 2005 S60 T5
United States of America
velorider

Post by velorider » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:14 pm

My experience with two different P2 cars, non R, at this mileage there is a definite list of parts that need to be replaced. I suggest checking if they have been replaced before buy. If they have not it's almost 100% chance they will need to be replaced.

Upper motor mount
Transmission torque mount
Passenger side motor mount
Struts/Shocks
Control Arm

Total parts about $700

This list isn't complete but my experience with two different P2 cars they will need to be replaced and impact driving experience.

I find the cars mechanically very reliable but might piecemeal you for misc things.. Pull-A-Part will be your best bet.

Good luck!!!
These users thanked the author velorider for the post:
antigone

dna316
Year and Model: S60 R AWD 2005
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
dna316

Post by dna316 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:39 am

GBooth wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:27 pm
Hello, so i am looking to purchase a used S60R and have some questions. My main concern is with potential repair costs, seeing as how the vehicle i would be purchasing would most likely be over 100k miles. My dad has owned an R in the past and recommended that i don't get one until i have a steady income because i won’t be able to afford repair costs. He said that the main concern with these engines is the angle gear and slave cylinder. Assuming that i was to purchase a 2005 R with around 120k miles that is in good condition, and has been Volvo serviced, what type of issues should i anticipate, and what potential price range am i looking at?

I am a freshman in college and am looking for a rather inexpensive car (around 5k), that i can learn from through my own repairs and performance modifications, yet still comes stock with a good amount of power. Would you recommend looking into other cars first that would be a bit more forgiving? My family is a huge Volvo family, and my dad spends a lot of time on these forms and is very knowledgeable about Volvos especially the R, but i would consider a different manufacturer.

In addition to potential future repairs, what type of performance mods are common with the R, that can boost it to the maximum hp and torque? I have heard that with the Volvo in-line 5 engines, you don’t want to exceed 450hp or else you risk shortening the engines life.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

DONT DO IT. In the model and year range you are looking for they are all problematic. Nice cars but super problematic. I have the 2005 S60-R and at this point I have put about 50% of the cars value back into it. In about 2 and a half years I have changed the entire front suspension and rear, brakes all around, angle gear, had to replace the driveshaft because of yet another Engineering flaw in a brace under the car that gets cought on speed bumps (this one was expensive), most recently i had to replace the accessory tenssioner, And now I have the dreaded shift flares in my aw55 transmission. If you search this shift flare problem you will find that there is not actual answer, just a bunch of people dumping a lot of money and crossing their fingers and hoping it works. Right now I am contemplating either selling the car before it becomes a brick or taking out a loan and swapping the transmission to a manual. I have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on this car and im about done with it.
I would urge you to look at the threads here that people have been having problems with their R's you will be overwhelmed. Just buy a different brand or a newer year volvo.

Sorry to be a bummer, im just trying to be honest.

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:25 pm

To dna316: I'm sure you know this but I gotta ask. Regarding shift flares: Have you done drain & fills or a pump out? Have you checked for TCM updates? Would you consider adding LubeGard (red) to your fluid if clean?

Sorry if these are minor league suggestions to your major league concerns.

swedehast
Year and Model: 2004 s60r 2002 xc70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
swedehast

Post by swedehast » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:44 pm

I just bought a 2004 with manual trans a year or so ago for the number you proposed and I will likely be spending that again over the next year or so. Your dad certainly is a great resource for both advice and tools. What you're dad is ( also ) kind of trying to tell you is the most important thing you need to be working on is your education. Do that right and the few short years will fly by, and you can grab that " good job " and chase down that shiny thing you REALLY want ! ( Polestar !!!! )

Seriously for the money find a lower mileage 850R or god forbid toyota or honda get you through school with minimum effort TONS more parts around which also means they're cheaper but still really nice ride