help needed 1998 V70 warm start problem

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Post Reply
User avatar
misha
Posts: 4601
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:09 pm
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v
Location: Serbia
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Re: help needed 1998 V70 warm start problem

Post by misha »

There must be one,unless somebody removed it for some reason.
Second thing....there is a bunch of valves,relays and actuators on fan shroud not just the grey one.
I'll post you a picture of fan shroud and you can see what i'm talking about.
Wiring diagram too.
'97 850 2.5 20v / fully equipped / Motronic 4.4 from the factory / upgraded with S,V,C,XC70 instrument cluster / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS

ka0ren
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 pm
Year and Model: V70 1998 AWD
Location: Missouri
Has thanked: 2 times

Post by ka0ren »

ka0ren wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:42 am
ka0ren wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:55 am
misha wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:45 pm Injectors will not pulse if ecu doesn't send a signal which it gets from crank position sensor(tdc).
Main fuel injection relay is located at cooling fan carrier under the hood...it's a grey one,it powers injectors,coil and iacv valve.
Other than this,you might have a failing fuel pump or transponder in chipped key(if the car is equipped with).
Eu cars have chipped keys from '96.
Thanks Misha, I will try swapping out the relays ! I will post the results soon.
Bad news, NO grey relay on cooling fan shroud. Only black one for 2 speed fan [ #94 42 934 ]

I did find in fuse/relay box "MAIN RELAY" # 9162300 . switched relays with S70 and S70 starts and runs perfectly. Wiring diagram would be most helpful ! I will check and compare voltages at main relay sockets .
Found yellow relay which if removed , there is NO voltage to ignition module. [S70] Relay coil has 12 volts on both terminals until cranking....then one terminal grounds thru ECU. Getting closer !

User avatar
misha
Posts: 4601
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:09 pm
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v
Location: Serbia
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Post by misha »

What ignition module...these cars don't have it.
Do you mean on ecu or ignition coil?
'97 850 2.5 20v / fully equipped / Motronic 4.4 from the factory / upgraded with S,V,C,XC70 instrument cluster / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS

ka0ren
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 pm
Year and Model: V70 1998 AWD
Location: Missouri
Has thanked: 2 times

Post by ka0ren »

misha wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:36 pm What ignition module...these cars don't have it.
Do you mean on ecu or ignition coil?
Ignition coil is mounted on a module. 3 wire connector . Just to rear of air cleaner housing. Car [ V70 ] started yesterday and then would not start again. Started today , then has not started all day. Today checked voltages at main relay, both S70 and V70 checked same.
List of components swapped : Ign coil and module, cam position sensor, crank position sensor, Fuel pump relay, main relay, battery,
Fuel pump pressure , E C U , antenna ring, tried both ignition keys. { this car has no remote , I was told by previous owner that it did not come with one . It has been very reliable for 2 years until this happened.

ka0ren
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 pm
Year and Model: V70 1998 AWD
Location: Missouri
Has thanked: 2 times

Post by ka0ren »

ka0ren wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:39 pm
misha wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:36 pm What ignition module...these cars don't have it.
Do you mean on ecu or ignition coil?
Ignition coil is mounted on a module. 3 wire connector . Just to rear of air cleaner housing. Car [ V70 ] started yesterday and then would not start again. Started today , then has not started all day. Today checked voltages at main relay, both S70 and V70 checked same.
List of components swapped : Ign coil and module, cam position sensor, crank position sensor, Fuel pump relay, main relay, battery,
Fuel pump pressure , E C U , antenna ring, tried both ignition keys. { this car has no remote , I was told by previous owner that it did not come with one . It has been very reliable for 2 years until this happened.
RE: ignition key......had a new one from VOLVO dealer recently.

User avatar
misha
Posts: 4601
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:09 pm
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v
Location: Serbia
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Post by misha »

ka0ren wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:39 pm
misha wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:36 pm What ignition module...these cars don't have it.
Do you mean on ecu or ignition coil?
Ignition coil is mounted on a module. 3 wire connector . Just to rear of air cleaner housing...
Ok...That's ignition coil.
'97 850 2.5 20v / fully equipped / Motronic 4.4 from the factory / upgraded with S,V,C,XC70 instrument cluster / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS

User avatar
misha
Posts: 4601
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:09 pm
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v
Location: Serbia
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Post by misha »

Does it have codes stored or pending?
'97 850 2.5 20v / fully equipped / Motronic 4.4 from the factory / upgraded with S,V,C,XC70 instrument cluster / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS

ka0ren
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 pm
Year and Model: V70 1998 AWD
Location: Missouri
Has thanked: 2 times

Post by ka0ren »

misha wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:47 am Does it have codes stored or pending?
VST [ VOLVO SCAN TOOL ] Shows no codes . Going to remove upper dash and instrument cluster to gain access to what I suspect is the Immobilizer module. IF S70 does not start with it unplugged, I will do the same to V70 and swap modules to see what happens.
V70 started normally this A M after sitting all night. Car drove normally several miles, back home I shut it off = cranks--no start.

ka0ren
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 pm
Year and Model: V70 1998 AWD
Location: Missouri
Has thanked: 2 times

Post by ka0ren »

ka0ren wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:00 pm
misha wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:47 am Does it have codes stored or pending?
VST [ VOLVO SCAN TOOL ] Shows no codes . Going to remove upper dash and instrument cluster to gain access to what I suspect is the Immobilizer module. IF S70 does not start with it unplugged, I will do the same to V70 and swap modules to see what happens.
V70 started normally this A M after sitting all night. Car drove normally several miles, back home I shut it off = cranks--no start.
Parked car. Tired of cranking and cranking. [ Also embarrassing] Tried another VOLVO OE crank position sensor. Car started immediately. Ran it for 30 minutes or so and shut it off, cranks over fine, but no spark and no injector pulse. Fuel pressure fine. Have been leaving it run while gassing up or shopping as it is almost impossible to start.

Dogboydogboydogboy
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:44 pm
Year and Model: 1998 S70
Location: Missouri

Post by Dogboydogboydogboy »

It's the gray relay. But I can't find it either 1998 S70 . My Volvo guy said he had the same issue on a 850 and it was the fuel injector relay gray and told me to look for it easy under the radiator tray fan shroud. Saw the fan relays but no gray one ... we really need the wire diagram to find this sucker . It must not be the same on the 850 as the S70 . There's a YouTube video that shows the gray relay where it's supposed to be black guy pissed lol beating and yelling at the relay !

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post