IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? πŸ€”
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Need help getting lower charge pipe to seal to intercooler

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
Rollvo
Year and Model: 2004 S80
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Rollvo

Need help getting lower charge pipe to seal to intercooler

Post by Rollvo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Hello, I have a 2004 Volvo S80 2.5T. My lower plastic charge pipe leaks at both ends at the couplings. It seems the more I tighten the clamps, the more they leak. I am pressurizing the system with ~ 5 psi compressed air, and can hear and feel the leaks. Sometimes I can get the side which attaches to the intake to seal. I attached a rubber hose with a plug in it and was able to completely seal the opening at the intercooler, so I know the intercooler itself is not leaking.

The charge pipe is made of relatively stiff plastic, which also connects to the aluminum intake and the stiff plastic intercooler. The seal is created by tightening the hose clamp. I don't understand why there is not any soft seal material like an O-ring or other material to make the seal. The upper charge pipe has rubber hoses on each end to seal it. The lower charge pipe does not.

The clamps also have limited clamping ability before they strip out.

Does anyone have any tricks to get the lower charge pipe to seal? I though about putting gasket sealer on it but don't want to make a mess.

Also- should I expect the intake air system to seal and hold air completely, or is some leakage acceptable?

ndphotonl
Year and Model: S80 2.4T Wasa
Netherlands
ndphotonl

Re: Need help getting lower charge pipe to seal to intercooler

Post by ndphotonl » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:05 am

You might try silicone rescue tape? Like the one below.

These users thanked the author ndphotonl for the post:
Rollvo

Volvo S80 2.4T Wasa Limited Edition
Blog / FlickR / YouTube channel

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:26 am

Within the last year my plastic portions of the intake and charge pipes had to be replaced due to leakage. The dealer simply put new parts on. It was the charge tubes that were leaking. I had no engine light or warnings that anything was wrong. After installing the new charge tubes the original clamps still being used as new ones don't come with the tubes would not hold the twin tubes in place under full boost. So the dealer put standard radiator type clamps and no more popping off charge tubes, and no more leaks. The soft rubber tubes are original. My 2004 S80 is a T6 so mine has two turbo chargers. My mechanic at the dealer said the original clamps with the metal backing have trouble with age. June

I added some photos of before tube and some clamps were replaced and now with new hard plastic tubes and which metal backed clamps were replaced with new regular clamps. Yours are somewhat different but likely have the same leak problem where the hard plastic tubes connect to another hard tube, not soft rubber tubes to hard plastic. I hope this makes sense. June
Attachments
20180923_134011.jpg
20180923_134415.jpg
20180923_134542.jpg
20180923_133110.jpg
20180923_133339.jpg
20180923_133339.jpg (101.62 KiB) Viewed 582 times
20180923_133519.jpg
20180923_133519.jpg (65.57 KiB) Viewed 582 times
Last edited by June on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author June for the post (total 2):
Rollvondphotonl

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:46 am

June wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:26 am
My mechanic at the dealer said the original clamps with the metal backing have trouble with age. June
Likely the rigid hose starts getting stiff/brittle with age and the clamps can't exert enough force to squeeze the tube adequately to get a good seal before stripping out. If the hoses are nylon-plastic based you can try soaking them in ethylene glycol to restore pliability. This trick is from a relative who used to work in R&D at a company which one of their primary products was plastic/nylon cable ties.

Oh, But if the hose has cracked (in June's case) your best bet would be to replace it.
These users thanked the author mrbrian200 for the post:
Rollvo

June
United States of America
June

Post by June » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:02 pm

mrbrian200 wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:46 am
My mechanic at the dealer said the original clamps with the metal backing have trouble with age. June
Likely the rigid hose starts getting stiff/brittle with age and the clamps can't exert enough force to squeeze the tube adequately to get a good seal before stripping out. If the hoses are nylon-plastic based you can try soaking them in ethylene glycol to restore pliability. This trick is from a relative who used to work in R&D at a company which one of their primary products was plastic/nylon cable ties.

Oh, But if the hose has cracked (in June's case) your best bet would be to replace it.
Original metal backed clamps would not hold the new hard plastic tubes in place. Were fine with original tubes with cracks, but kept popping off with new plastic tubes. That is when mechanic put standard clamps in which stopped the problem. He told me standard clamps work better at the joints where the tube is connected to a hard pipe. IDK why that would be, but he is the top mechanic at my dealer. Otherwise I would have been highly suspicious of altering something from factory form. So far no more leaks or popping off tubes. June

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1996 960 ordered

Rollvo
United States of America
Rollvo

Post by Rollvo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:29 pm

ndphotonl wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:05 am
You might try silicone rescue tape? Like the one below.

This looks worth trying. Thank you.

Rollvo
United States of America
Rollvo

Post by Rollvo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:36 pm

Within the last year my plastic portions of the intake and charge pipes had to be replaced due to leakage. The dealer simply put new parts on. It was the charge tubes that were leaking. I had no engine light or warnings that anything was wrong. After installing the new charge tubes the original clamps still being used as new ones don't come with the tubes would not hold the twin tubes in place under full boost. So the dealer put standard radiator type clamps and no more popping off charge tubes, and no more leaks. The soft rubber tubes are original. My 2004 S80 is a T6 so mine has two turbo chargers. My mechanic at the dealer said the original clamps with the metal backing have trouble with age. June

I added some photos of before tube and some clamps were replaced and now with new hard plastic tubes and which metal backed clamps were replaced with new regular clamps. Yours are somewhat different but likely have the same leak problem where the hard plastic tubes connect to another hard tube, not soft rubber tubes to hard plastic. I hope this makes sense. June
Thank you for your reply and photos. Since my original clamp got stripped out, I bought some regular hose clamps similar to the ones in your pictures. I thought they would be able to clamp with more force but they did not seal my leak. I pressurized the system and tried tightening/loosening it and couldn't get it to seal. I used the original metal backing/sleeve as it fit perfectly with the new clamp. I used the original sleeve thinking it would more evenly distribute the force of the clamp. I have not tried using just the clamp alone. It seems to me that there would be a gap under the screw mechanism of the clamp. I didn't mention in my original post that I did buy a new intercooler charge pipe and it didn't seal either. It behaved the same as my old one.

Rollvo
United States of America
Rollvo

Post by Rollvo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:37 pm

mrbrian200 wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:46 am

Thank you, this is definitely worth a try.

Rollvo
United States of America
Rollvo

Post by Rollvo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:40 pm

I took my tube off and put a thin layer of RTV on the inner openings of the charge pipe in hopes of giving something to seal on, much like the suggestion of the silicone rescue tape. I like the idea of the silicone rescue tape better, but I have already put the RTV on and am waiting for it to cure before trying it out.

June
United States of America
June

Post by June » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:49 pm

Rollvo wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:36 pm

Thank you for your reply and photos. Since my original clamp got stripped out, I bought some regular hose clamps similar to the ones in your pictures. I thought they would be able to clamp with more force but they did not seal my leak. I pressurized the system and tried tightening/loosening it and couldn't get it to seal. I used the original metal backing/sleeve as it fit perfectly with the new clamp. I used the original sleeve thinking it would more evenly distribute the force of the clamp. I have not tried using just the clamp alone. It seems to me that there would be a gap under the screw mechanism of the clamp. I didn't mention in my original post that I did buy a new intercooler charge pipe and it didn't seal either. It behaved the same as my old one.
Could the leaky connection be out of round? Not the charge pipe, but the other pipe where the charge pipe is connected to? Just a thought. June

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1996 960 ordered