IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Greetings!! Also needing help with rough idle/limp mode!

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

BabyTurbo
Year and Model: 2004 S60 2.5t AWD
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
BabyTurbo

Greetings!! Also needing help with rough idle/limp mode!

Post by BabyTurbo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself before hopefully getting some insight on car troubles :)

Owner of a 2004 S60 2.5t AWD with super limited knowledge of car inner-workings (the internet sure helps though!). Car has ~112k miles and is spiffy! :mrgreen:

Having issues right now where car idles roughly and is in limp mode. Very limited acceleration and window messages are:
"DECREASED ENGINE PERFORMANCE"
"ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQD"
"EL SYSTEM SERVICE REQD"
"LOW BATTERY"
and my fave "DRIVER DOOR OPEN" (when it's clearly not).

Previous repairs:
Replaced battery 06/2018 at dealership and "DRIVER DOOR OPEN" message popped up right away. Have been driving around with the dinging and cabin lights on since then, and I'm thinking thats why the "LOW BATTERY" message showed up. The car has had issues here and there with starting since the lovely dinging began.

07/2018 Car started driving all jerky and had awkward acceleration. Replaced a coil (not the whole coil pack because the mechanic said only one needed chucking) and car drove fine.

Flashforward to yesterday: the car was showing the previously mentioned warnings upon start-up so I drove it straight to the dealership, luckily a mile away.

Left my car overnight, they just called today saying it's gonna need a new throttle body valve, new battery and some bulbs. I told the gentleman I'd call him back and proceeded to read a ton of stuff online.

Called him back and explained the battery is brand new and already low, and whether or not the throttle/drivability issues are due to the battery being drained already. Said I would like for him to check with a fully charged battery on-hand to see if the issues go away. Will find out this coming Monday as they're closed tomorrow.

Anyone have any similar experiences? Advice?

tldr: Could decreased engine performance/rough idle/limp mode be due to a drained battery?

Thank you!!

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Re: Greetings!! Also needing help with rough idle/limp mode!

Post by matthew1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Welcome to MVS.

All kinds of weirdness can happen when your Volvo has a weak battery. You're on the right track diagnosing this first because it's the lowest hanging fruit.
These users thanked the author matthew1 for the post:
BabyTurbo

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

BabyTurbo
United States of America
BabyTurbo

Post by BabyTurbo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:34 pm

@Matthew1
Thanks for your reply!

Fingers crossed that's all it is! I've been reading about how to clean the throttle body DYI-style and thinking it might be the next course of action... Was quoted $1360 for throttle body replacement... Eeek.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Throttle body replacement at only 112k on an 2004 model is a rare occurrence. Definitely get that battery full charged.

If you are game to take on the cleaning yourself, look at the 'help near you forum' and see if you can find a partner in crime to walk through this.
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
BabyTurbo

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

BabyTurbo
United States of America
BabyTurbo

Post by BabyTurbo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:52 pm

@abscate

Appreciate the reply!

Will def make sure the battery gets fully charged. Hoping the battery is the culprit in all this.

Going to look at the forum you suggested as well-- sounds like a good place to get some pointers on the throttle body cleanse as well as the delightful "door open even though it's not" ding :D

EngineeringBloke
Year and Model: 2006 2.5T S60
United States of America
EngineeringBloke

Post by EngineeringBloke » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:52 am

It seems odd that the door problem started when the battery was replaced - it might be a computer module issue with the Drivers Door Module (DDM). But it could be that they slammed the door closed harder than you do. :)

It seems likely that the other issues are caused by the battery being drained due to the car appearing to have the door open.

The door issue could be the DDM module, the wiring between it (perhaps a single loose wire) and the latch, or the switch in the latch.

- Do you have other driver door related issues? Can you control the mirrors, windows, locks from the control panel in the driver's door? Additional issues here would point to the DDM rather than the switch in the latch.

It appears that it is tricky to replace the switch within the latch, and so it may be hard to try to repair just that switch rather than the whole latch. There are replacement latches available second hand on Ebay for a lot less than a new one from the dealer. And I would inspect the wiring first before ordering any parts.

I would get the replacement bulbs and install them yourself, although they can be aggravating to get at. The dealer install costs tend to be surprisingly high, get a quote.
These users thanked the author EngineeringBloke for the post:
BabyTurbo

BabyTurbo
United States of America
BabyTurbo

Post by BabyTurbo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:28 am

@engineeringbloke

Thank you for your reply!

I agree-- for background, the car had a battery read of "6% battery health" at the dealership before being replaced. The door issues could have been something latent or maybe they really are slamming doors at that garage, haha!

The power options still work on the driver's side door, which is awesome. The windows function at the normal speed, door lock works when I push the button but if I manually push the actual lock down it pops right back up.

I've learned to deal with the dinging but the battery drain is the part that seriously bugs me the most. The cabin lights have been disconnected (just the driver/passenger-side ones under the dash), and I just have to remember to shut off the door open/reading lights up front when the come on. Read some posts about the possibility of disconnecting the fuse for the door chime. Hopefully that will temporarily help with the battery issues until the door can be looked at in further detail.

Thank you for the tips about the door latch switch and bulbs as well! I will for sure be trying to replace the bulbs at home to save a couple of bucks :D