IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Windscreen Glass, Pilkington or PPG/PGW? Topic is solved

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Re: Windscreen Glass, Pilkington or PPG/PGW?

Post by mrbrian200 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:56 pm

At the least 3M would have a competing interlayer product. And probably some patent sharing/licensing agreements between the two. The sheer number of 3M's various product offerings is staggering. If you can touch, see, smell, burn, breath, stick it, or feel it, 3M probably either makes it or makes something just like it.
These users thanked the author mrbrian200 for the post:
jsn9839

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940
Has thanked: 0
93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:42 am

mrbrian200 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:43 am
3m product referenced specifically says it does not result in a purplish hue
*Purple balances color perception and is good for contrast against green backgrounds such as hiking in forests. *Unlike blue-tinted lenses, which can cause more glare, purple tinting on glasses does provide some shading from the sun's rays.

They also say in their literature that it's a "clear film."

An OEM glass manufacture would sell a product that conforms to DOT/etc regulations/laws.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (204.95 KiB) Viewed 567 times
These users thanked the author 93Regina for the post:
jsn9839

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:35 pm

Brian, great information here. Thanks for walking us through your decision points. Added to the Repair Database.
These users thanked the author matthew1 for the post:
jsn9839

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

mrbrian200
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:31 pm

matthew1 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:35 pm
Brian, great information here. Thanks for walking us through your decision points. Added to the Repair Database.
The more l looked at Fuyao as a company (googling for information), the more favorable they looked as a reasonable, most likely OE quality ARG supplier. Then when the glass sourced through PPG turned out to come from them and they put it on lit stand before installation where I could see that it looked flawless, I decided I was a-ok with it and went ahead.
Fuyao is listed as an OE supplier for Volvo...as well as the majority of other recognizable car makes out there including other mid-high end euro brands. My gut was telling me their glass will be on par with Pilkington as far as overall quality/durablility etc. Just doesn't say "VOLVO" in the lower right corner, which insisting on might be getting a little overly picky on a 12 year old car that I have no intention of selling.maybe.ever.
jsn9839

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm angry I didn't do more research eight years ago when I replaced my Volvo V70 R glass. I should have updated that topic, but regardless the replacement glass was wavy when you looked at it from inside the car. Wavy distortion when looking right, as the driver. Not too bad, but noticeable and distracting for me.
These users thanked the author matthew1 for the post:
jsn9839

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

mrbrian200
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:51 pm

I figured out how to remove the rain-x, or whatever similar product the glass installer applied, or persistent oily slick from manufacturing without too much trouble. Like rain-x, going over it with alcohol just smears the stuff around after which it dries to a white haze you can't see through until you buff it out after the alcohol dries. Makes the windscreen wipers stick to the windscreen too much: they 'fart' across the screen with a lot of noise in addition to smearing water/not wiping it clean...

Equal parts ammonia and carpet shampoo..full strength don't dilute..with a healthy squirt of dawn dish washing liquid. About 1 measuring cup total mixture. Spray windscreen being careful not to get over-spray on the paint. Wipe around with a soft paper towel. It will be very 'sudsy'. Then go over it with a dry towel. Throw away the towels you just used and repeat 4 or 5 times, then finish with a good rinse with clean water and dry towels until the cleansers are clear/no more suds form when wiping with a wet towel. All better.

My rain sensor adhesive pad is 'bubbled' awful, hence the sensor doesn't work very well. Will report again on this once I get a chance to address it. From research it seems glass installers often don't get this right and owners frequently have to redo it. It's acting exactly as others have reported when the pad isn't cleanly applied and/or the installer merely stuck a second pad on top of the original-which doesn't work.
June

mrbrian200
United States of America
mrbrian200

Re: Windscreen Glass, Pilkington or PPG/PGW?  Topic is solved

Post by mrbrian200 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:27 am

Rain sensor works fine with the Fuyao glass. The glass installers reused the original silicone pad and made a mess of it: didn't clean it, used some sort of oil to compensate for it not lining up properly because it came unbonded from the sensor body one side but was still attached on the other, but they didn't seem to understand because it's 'stretchy' it won't line up properly unless you pull it completely off and start over. A couple ounces of applied working grey matter, some MAF/electronics cleaner to clear the oil they tried to use with a more scientific approach toward installation (it's not going to work right if the silicone pad isn't lined up perfect on the sensor body before you stick it back on the windshield) Drove an hour in light/varying rain, it works as good as it did with the OE factory glass now, which is pretty good. I get really spoiled - you don't realize how much you mess with the wiper speed settings less the rain sensor, which is a constant distraction during inclement conditions when you really don't need 'extra stuff' to be fiddling with.