IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2004 xc90 with a busted timing belt - head removal?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
brax
Year and Model: 2004 t6 xc90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
brax

2004 xc90 with a busted timing belt - head removal?

Post by brax » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:43 pm

hey guys, has anyone tackled a xc90 t6 with a busted timing belt? debated buying one and removing the head if valve damage

i was told by a backyard mechanic that the head will never seal again if removed??? sounds insane

anyways how bad of a job is it and are there any DIY guides out there?

can the turbos be accessed fairly easily?

thanks for any info

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: 2004 xc90 with a busted timing belt - head removal?

Post by oragex » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:31 am

Not worth, unless you get it for free and want to have fun. 100% valve damage. Head is not a job for beginners on german/sweedish cars, unlike, say a Honda. A broken T6 is worth scrap value. So maybe a $500, new belt, and some field or bumper car fun www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7vw6qNLHOQ
The backyard mechanic is wrong, but it needs an anaerobic sealing

brax
United States of America
brax

Post by brax » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:55 am

Last edited by brax on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

brax
United States of America
brax

Post by brax » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:56 am

i figured , ive delt with these style cylinder heads before , ive been wrenching for years , the turbos just look like the worst part of the job , he wants $500 i offered $300 due to location and cond and the unknown . i can’t find any head removal procedures on the web unfortunately

brax
United States of America
brax

Post by brax » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:56 am

for the T6 motor that is

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:04 pm

Check out S80 head gasket topic. It's the same engine.
These users thanked the author matthew1 for the post:
June

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Also hope the T6 tranny was ok-ish

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:19 pm

I think it is great you are going to rescue a Volvo from the crusher! You'll love the smooth power it will have. I would like to see photos of your project. Especially the engine apart, turbos, and anything else you take apart. There is a good set of photos someone posted of a 1999 S80 2.8L T6 apart. So a later T6 (2.9L) would be a nice addition to the vast base of knowledge here on MVS. Thanks, June

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 am

Not one to cut your teeth on, especially if it’s a non runner and the drivetrain can’t be evaluated.

Fine if you don’t mind ending up,with 3k into a 3k value car. If you want to flip it, it will eat you alive. Good quality parts on Volvo are expensive and worth it for the owner but not for flippers

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:14 pm

The XC90 T6 is a tough engine to do a head gasket on because of the turbos, specifically the manifolds. Other than disconnecting the manifolds it is not a difficult job - typical Volvo head gasket job for the most part. More on this at the end.

I would approach it this way. First do you intend to drive and own the car? Other than the engine and transmission is the car in nice exterior condition, interior condition, tires solid and any known issues (like transmission). What is the mileage? Assuming everything mentioned is solid and you intend to do the work yourself what is your budget? $300 is not bad if the car is solid. You will have about $800 in parts and machine work, maybe less depending on what you intend to replace.

I assume you have the Volvo timing set - you will need it. After that, just like the Volvos you have done in the past, it is a head gasket job where you will want to do the water pump and pulleys plus the thermostat nipple, it is known to break on the 2.9 (work arounds for this), and then maybe redo the PCV system. All of this is typical Volvo - nothing magical. You can figure out the costs.

For head work figure about $100 to have it machined, buy used valves (look up the valve part numbers to figure out what you need) or just buy a used head. Then replace the valve stem seals and lap the valves while you are there.

On to the manifolds. You will need to disconnect them from the head. VIDA has the instructions, and it is similar to the S80. I think the work around/short cut, not the entire VIDA process, is to disconnect the exhaust from below for each side and wire it up (support it) so nothing breaks, but you have some play. Then remove various items (if you look at my profile/posts you will see a write up on disconnecting Bank 2 turbo I did which is turbo only - I didn't disconnect the manifold) this post has much of the info you will need. At this point after you have everything disconnected you need to remove the manifold bolts. If you are lucky the studs will come out with the bolts. Nothing tricky here, just the right socket for the space. Studs coming out is ideal because then you can pull the head right up with out fighting the exhaust. Afterwards you can remove the bolts from the studs and replace as you see fit.

So the only real issue is getting the space you need to pull the head forward and up - basically you have to push the exhaust system back. By disconnecting both sides from below this creates your space. The studs coming out makes this easier. I have not done it, but I have been at the back side of the engine fighting my turbos a number of times so I see the issue. I would imagine that with a block of wood and some strapping you can pull the manifold back to get your space (if the exhaust is disconnected below) and the manifold bolts are off. I had a similar fight with my XC70 and it wasn't bad. I did a head gasket for a 2004 S80 non-turbo and it was not bad. If I recall VIDA instructions for turbo replacement it has one removing all sorts of other pieces which I don't think is necessary. This might be b/c Volvo doesn't sell just the turbo - they sell the turbo, manifold and waste gate as an entire assembly. As a result you need to remove much more, not just disconnect. Here you are leaving the manifold intact and in the car so you just have the vacuum lines and a few other items to disconnect. Pretty obvious when you look at it.

I think that I can get to the point of disconnecting the manifold in about two hours, but this does not include the time required for the timing belt, intake and PCV disconnect (this is typical Volvo - so maybe two hours of straight work). After this one has to remove the upper cam cover and head which you are familiar with.

With that said, based on your posts stating your experience with Volvos, you should be able to handle the job. Question is do you want to put 10 plus hours into it plus the parts - if you are going to drive the car it would be worth it, assuming cosmetically and the rest is fine.