IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

S80 T6 Engine destruction X2 Volvos are tough! Topic is solved

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940
Has thanked: 0
93Regina

Re: S80 T6 Engine destruction X2 Volvos are tough!

Post by 93Regina » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Rattnalle wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:40 pm
In Europe these kinds of incentives are not even disguised as anything but a way to get cars of the road so people have to buy new ones and support the industry.
In US, car modification is just about whatever you want to do in most regions. In at least one European country, like Germany, vehicles must use OEM type replacement parts, which is nothing more than industry protecting their turf.

Emission checks do exist over here in select areas, but vehicle inspections are not done in every state. . Vehicle inspections are more about safety aspects, not the parts installed. I've never heard of an accident due to say new shocks that weren't OEM quality, or new brakes that weren't OEM quality, but in Germany, no excuse, from what I understand via forums.
These users thanked the author 93Regina for the post:
jsn9839

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:56 pm

I knew there was something fishy about the CARS program when, at the time, I looked up and found that the vehicle I was driving didn't qualify (89 4cyl caravan). It didn't get good fuel econ, especially on the highway. It upsets me that they were destroying cars like the S80 that would have got upwards/over 30mpg on the highway while leaving those with the oldest, most gas guzzling vehicles who typically couldn't afford a new car, and thus couldn't participate, out in the wind.
That program was total banana republic BS if you ask me.

Edit: don't get me wrong - I agree economic stimulus was necessary. But that program was sold to the public as a way to get 'older gas guzzlers' off the road, yet did nothing to address the larger fleet of oldest most guzzly vehicles that are typically driven by people who don't buy new. Written by an industry lobby group strictly to benefit their own interests and *nobody else*

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:45 am

93Regina wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:36 pm
Rattnalle wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:40 pm
In Europe these kinds of incentives are not even disguised as anything but a way to get cars of the road so people have to buy new ones and support the industry.
In US, car modification is just about whatever you want to do in most regions. In at least one European country, like Germany, vehicles must use OEM type replacement parts, which is nothing more than industry protecting their turf.

Emission checks do exist over here in select areas, but vehicle inspections are not done in every state. . Vehicle inspections are more about safety aspects, not the parts installed. I've never heard of an accident due to say new shocks that weren't OEM quality, or new brakes that weren't OEM quality, but in Germany, no excuse, from what I understand via forums.
Cars in Europe are since the 90s or so registered and approved as a unit. That unit, the car, must not be modified in any way or it looses it's approval. Parts must be original spec and E-marked. That in itself is no guarantee for quality and there are plenty of shitty parts out there. But at least they are not shitty and completely different from the original. Anything that doesn't look as it should will generally get you failed at inspection. With a couple of exceptions like our Nordic rules about extra high beams which are much more relaxed than those down on the continent.
These users thanked the author Rattnalle for the post:
jsn9839

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940
Has thanked: 0
93Regina

Post by 93Regina » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:18 pm

Rattnalle wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:45 am
Cars in Europe...since the 90s...registered and approved as a unit. That unit, the car, must not be modified in any way or it looses it's approval.

Sidebar

So, a vehicle could be sold anywhere in Europe, without a hassle if it passes inspection?
These users thanked the author 93Regina for the post:
jsn9839

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:08 am

93Regina wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:18 pm
Rattnalle wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:45 am
Cars in Europe...since the 90s...registered and approved as a unit. That unit, the car, must not be modified in any way or it looses it's approval.

Sidebar

So, a vehicle could be sold anywhere in Europe, without a hassle if it passes inspection?
A car approved to be sold as new according to EU regs in one country can be sold as new in all EU countries. It should also be able to be sold second hand but rules about duties and registrering in a different country varies. Inspection every year follows the same general rules but local application of them is I believe a bit different. You're allowed to drive anywhere if approved in one country though.