IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

"SERVICE" light comes on but no codes

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

mdewalle
Year and Model: 2001 V70 2.4T
Netherlands
mdewalle

"SERVICE" light comes on but no codes

Post by mdewalle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:52 pm

When I start my V70 (2001, 2.4T) it shows the word "SERVICE" in orange on the right side of the dash. After driving for a few mins it goes off, but when I start again it comes back on. I plugged my code reader in and got NO codes.

What does this SERVICE light mean? I'm close to needing an oil change. Is it just a reminder that the oil change is due?
These users thanked the author mdewalle for the post:
abscate

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
Has thanked: 0
chrism

Re: "SERVICE" light comes on but no codes

Post by chrism » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:45 pm

That's just a reminder to perform scheduled maintenance, especially an oil change. I believe it pops up every 5000 miles or thereabouts. (I just track of the mileage in the maintenance log and usually end up turning the light off BETWEEN oil changes.)

Reset procedure per IPD's web site:

2001 Volvo S80 / V70 / S60 Models (May apply to S40/V40 also)

The service reminder indicator lamp illuminates for 120 seconds when the ignition is first switched on.
Insert key and turn Ignition Switch to position I
Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer
Turn the Ignition switch to position II (within 5 seconds)
The service reminder indicator starts flashing when the reset button for the trip odometer has been pressed for 10 seconds
Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 5 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded.
If the trip meter reset button is not released within 5 seconds the indicator is not reset, but the indicator will stop flashing.

2002-2007 All Volvo Models

The service reminder indicator lamp illuminates for 120 seconds when the ignition is first switched on
Insert key and turn Ignition Switch to position I
Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer
Turn the Ignition switch to position II (within 2 seconds)
Hold the reset button for the trip meter pressed in until the original trip counter value blinks and is redisplayed
(For all vehicles 2003- a general yellow lamp will light when the reset button must be released.)
Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 4 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded
If the trip meter is already reset the reset button should be held in for a minimum of 10 seconds and a maximum of 14 seconds.
If the reset button for the trip odometer is not released within 4 seconds, the service reminder indicator (SRI) is not reset.
These users thanked the author chrism for the post (total 2):
mdewalleabscate

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: "SERVICE" light comes on but no codes

Post by abscate » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:27 pm

I'll find the reset procedure and link to it

Ah, chrism beat me to it.

Known as the tennis light, since it lets you know if there is a fault, a double fault, or if you are courting disaster. You can search the net for a matching thread, but don't let the dealer charge you to reset it, that's a ......
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
mdewalle

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW