IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

What did you do to your Volvo today?

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: What did you do to your Volvo today? (now Sticky!!)

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:07 am

She's the crazy one for sure. Next time get your phone put and film it if you get a bad feeling. Good to have of there is damage.

Or just go over and open the door, "looking" for something inside so there's no room next to you.

bmdubya1198
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
United States of America
bmdubya1198

Post by bmdubya1198 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 am

Ocelot wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:03 am
So today I did some groceries. While walking to the store I see a lady in a VW Golf IV park next to my car, which I thought to be weird since the whole parkinglot was mostly vacant (for real). Since I have some bad experiences with parkingdamages and people just driving away without a note et cetera, I waited for the entrance of the store to "evaluate" her parkingskills. And boy, was my gut feeling right about waiting. She slams her door into Freya (my S70) and just walks away. I walk towards her and as soon as she sees me, she knows that the blue Volvo is my car. She walks back and looks at my car and says: "Nothing to it, everything's fine." I look at my righthand door and see nothing wrong but I ask why would you slam your door so hard? She just walks away, cussing at me. Am I the crazy one here? Or what?

Edit: So what did i do to my Volvo today, I protected her :wink:
Some people are just incredibly inconsiderate. It disgusts me that people to do that kind of stuff, then act like nothing happened.
Not all of us just drive our cars and don't care about them!

And seriously, a big open parking lot, why must you park next to me!?!?! That happens to me all the time too. I intentionally park on the other side of the parking lot a sometimes just to avoid other cars.
j-dawg wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:06 am
Started working towards my LSD install yesterday. I have the diff out, just need to pull the bearings and measure the diff to see if I need to shim the new bearings on the Quaife.

If you're an engineer, or work with mechanical stuff, or even just like machines, take apart a transmission. I'm blown away by how beautiful this machine is - all the pieces fit together just right, all the mechanisms click into place like a bolt action rifle. It's even visually dramatic, with the brass synchros, gold colored shift forks, and shiny shift collars contrasting against the dark steel gears and gray aluminum casing. Tearing this gearbox down has been like a pilgrimage to the temple of machinery.
I partially tore down my old M46 a few weeks ago from the 740 I had, and it is a really cool thing to look at. I just need to figure out how to remove the gear selector rod so I can totally tear it down.

2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 190k
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
2003 S60 2.4T Silver/Black 107k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 158k
1993 944 Base Beige/Beige :mrgreen: 221k
1992 Miata Mariner Blue/Black 146k
Sold-
1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 GLT Tropic Green... crushed
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Never should have sold it

Need used parts? PM me!

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:00 am

Ocelot wrote:
So today I did some groceries. While walking to the store I see a lady in a VW Golf IV park next to my car, which I thought to be weird since the whole parkinglot was mostly vacant (for real). Since I have some bad experiences with parkingdamages and people just driving away without a note et cetera, I waited for the entrance of the store to "evaluate" her parkingskills. And boy, was my gut feeling right about waiting. She slams her door into Freya (my S70) and just walks away. I walk towards her and as soon as she sees me, she knows that the blue Volvo is my car. She walks back and looks at my car and says: "Nothing to it, everything's fine." I look at my righthand door and see nothing wrong but I ask why would you slam your door so hard? She just walks away, cussing at me. Am I the crazy one here? Or what?

My first door ding on my S80 happened while I was in my car! I was visiting relatives who lived in a complex and I was in one of their parking spaces. The woman looked me in the eye and slammed her door into my car and had the nerve to tell me "That's what your insurance is for". My car was about two years old at that time and I'm afraid I didn't take it well. Looking back, I'm not exactly proud of the revenge I bestowed upon her car over the following week, but you can be sure she was more careful in the future. So I understand how infuriating it can be. HELL HATH NO FURRY LIKE A WOMAN SCORNED!!! June
Last edited by June on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

Rattnalle
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 am

June wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:00 am
Ocelot wrote:

My first door ding on my S80 happened while I was in my car! I was visiting relatives who lived in a complex and I was in one of their parking spaces. The woman looked me in the eye and slammed her door into my car and had the nerve to tell me "That's what your insurance is for". My car was about two years old at that time and I'm afraid I didn't take it well. Looking back, I'm not exactly proud of the revenge I bestowed upon her car over the following week, but you can be sure she was more careful in the future. So I understand how infuriating it can be. June
You really can't tease us without giving us the details on this one.

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:56 am

Rattnalle wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 am
June wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:00 am
Ocelot wrote:

My first door ding on my S80 happened while I was in my car! I was visiting relatives who lived in a complex and I was in one of their parking spaces. The woman looked me in the eye and slammed her door into my car and had the nerve to tell me "That's what your insurance is for". My car was about two years old at that time and I'm afraid I didn't take it well. Looking back, I'm not exactly proud of the revenge I bestowed upon her car over the following week, but you can be sure she was more careful in the future. So I understand how infuriating it can be. June
You really can't tease us without giving us the details on this one.
Ok, but please don't judge me too harshly! The kids and I were visiting my sister out of town for the Christmas 2004 to 2005 holiday and she lived in a apartment complex with assigned parking. So it was her neighbor.

I immediately rented a 10x20 storage and safely tucked my Volvo away the rest of my visit. I borrowed my uncle's boat tow vehicle a early 1970's Oldsmobile 88 police car spotlights and all. At that time it was a 35 year old rust bucket badly beaten up. I preceded to utterly door ding every inch of both sides of her car which was a civic 4 door. At every chance I moved the Oldsmobile a few inches at a time and kicked the passenger door open into the side of her car over and over again. Then I would park the Oldsmobile as close to the driver's side as possible so she had to climb into her car every time. Her space was to the right of my sister's space. She then tried to hide her car in other parts of the complex to no avail. I would find it and move the Oldsmobile as soon as a space next to it was available adding more dings. I would roar the Oldsmobile to life to intimidate her as its exhaust system was rusted out. So she knew when I moved it every time.

Then her boyfriend confronted me and immediately let me know he was staying out of it :lol: ... Initially when she confronted me and I told her that's what her insurance is for!!! By the end of my visit every couple of inches was dinged on both sides of her car.

You must understand she looked me in the eye and slammed her door open into the passenger front door of my car. It was on purpose!!!!! And when I got out of my car she was exceedingly rude... I literally saw red and had my children not been there I can't say what might have happened at that moment. Instead I exacted revenge! I'm embarrassed I actually did that. June
These users thanked the author June for the post:
Rattnalle

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

WhatAmIDoing
Year and Model: 1998 S70 T5M
Canada
WhatAmIDoing

Post by WhatAmIDoing » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:30 am

I swear it is some people's mission in life to ensure others can't have nice things. If I had a nickle for every time my Volvo was carelessly (or deliberately) hit in a parking lot by some... well you know..., I would have enough money to have every ding pulled out and the entire car repainted Saffron (seriously, I've been hit that many times).

Best revenge story that comes to mind. I'm sitting in my car with my buddies, and this guy pulls in next to me in an empty parking lot and proceeds to hit the right-front corner of my car. I get out to confront him and he starts yelling various profanities at me and wants to throw down. I let him go since there was no real damage to my car and a fight wasn't worth it. After he leaves, we pull out 2 jacks, jack up his car, take all four wheels off and prop up the car with bits of broken parking stop. We let all the air out of his tires, stack them on the roof, and throw all the lug nuts perfectly dead center under his car. To top it off, it was well below freezing that day. :lol:
These users thanked the author WhatAmIDoing for the post:
Rattnalle

'98 S70 T5M - 270,000+mi - forever a project
'99 S70 "AWD" - 218,000+mi - project
Knows enough to be dangerous :wink:

Rattnalle
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:37 am

Haha. Wow. I love both stories and the level of creativity and dedication they took!

I haven't actually been hit that I've noticed so I haven't had to consider it. Closest was a couple of weeks ago when my parents neighbour started feeling some large bushes with a chainsaw within a few feet of my car. Miraculously there was no damage. And he had the stomach to get angry when told to stop while the car was there.

bmdubya1198
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
United States of America
bmdubya1198

Post by bmdubya1198 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:03 pm

June wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:56 am
Ok, but please don't judge me too harshly! The kids and I were visiting my sister out of town for the Christmas 2004 to 2005 holiday and she lived in a apartment complex with assigned parking. So it was her neighbor.

I immediately rented a 10x20 storage and safely tucked my Volvo away the rest of my visit. I borrowed my uncle's boat tow vehicle a early 1970's Oldsmobile 88 police car spotlights and all. At that time it was a 35 year old rust bucket badly beaten up. I preceded to utterly door ding every inch of both sides of her car which was a civic 4 door. At every chance I moved the Oldsmobile a few inches at a time and kicked the passenger door open into the side of her car over and over again. Then I would park the Oldsmobile as close to the driver's side as possible so she had to climb into her car every time. Her space was to the right of my sister's space. She then tried to hide her car in other parts of the complex to no avail. I would find it and move the Oldsmobile as soon as a space next to it was available adding more dings. I would roar the Oldsmobile to life to intimidate her as its exhaust system was rusted out. So she knew when I moved it every time.

Then her boyfriend confronted me and immediately let me know he was staying out of it :lol: ... Initially when she confronted me and I told her that's what her insurance is for!!! By the end of my visit every couple of inches was dinged on both sides of her car.

You must understand she looked me in the eye and slammed her door open into the passenger front door of my car. It was on purpose!!!!! And when I got out of my car she was exceedingly rude... I literally saw red and had my children not been there I can't say what might have happened at that moment. Instead I exacted revenge! I'm embarrassed I actually did that. June
That's great! Maybe she took that as as lesson to not mess with other peoples' cars again!

For some reason some people see luxury cars and just get ridiculously disgusted and resentful. Just because somebody has a nicer car than you doesn't mean you need to spit on them and damage their property! People like that just piss me off.
WhatAmIDoing wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:30 am
I swear it is some people's mission in life to ensure others can't have nice things. If I had a nickle for every time my Volvo was carelessly (or deliberately) hit in a parking lot by some... well you know..., I would have enough money to have every ding pulled out and the entire car repainted Saffron (seriously, I've been hit that many times).

Best revenge story that comes to mind. I'm sitting in my car with my buddies, and this guy pulls in next to me in an empty parking lot and proceeds to hit the right-front corner of my car. I get out to confront him and he starts yelling various profanities at me and wants to throw down. I let him go since there was no real damage to my car and a fight wasn't worth it. After he leaves, we pull out 2 jacks, jack up his car, take all four wheels off and prop up the car with bits of broken parking stop. We let all the air out of his tires, stack them on the roof, and throw all the lug nuts perfectly dead center under his car. To top it off, it was well below freezing that day. :lol:
Now that's funny! I bet he was pretty angry when he came back to his car!

2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 190k
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
2003 S60 2.4T Silver/Black 107k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 158k
1993 944 Base Beige/Beige :mrgreen: 221k
1992 Miata Mariner Blue/Black 146k
Sold-
1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 GLT Tropic Green... crushed
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Never should have sold it

Need used parts? PM me!

WhatAmIDoing
Year and Model: 1998 S70 T5M
Canada
WhatAmIDoing

Post by WhatAmIDoing » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:58 pm

bmdubya1198 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:03 pm
June wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:56 am

That's great! Maybe she took that as as lesson to not mess with other peoples' cars again!

For some reason some people see luxury cars and just get ridiculously disgusted and resentful. Just because somebody has a nicer car than you doesn't mean you need to spit on them and damage their property! People like that just piss me off.
WhatAmIDoing wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:30 am

Now that's funny! I bet he was pretty angry when he came back to his car!
To be honest, what I wanted to do was grab a tire iron and smash out all his lights and knock both mirrors off, but then my buddy suggested that idea. He had previously got into a similar altercation, and his truck has a winch. :wink: :lol:

'98 S70 T5M - 270,000+mi - forever a project
'99 S70 "AWD" - 218,000+mi - project
Knows enough to be dangerous :wink:

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 pm

I’m definitely not passing June in the NC500 coming up, unless she has mellowed her harsh.

:lol:

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW