IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

What did you do to your Volvo today? (now Sticky!!)

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 100 times
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: What did you do to your Volvo today? (now Sticky!!)

Post by Rattnalle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:25 am

tysauce1986 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:41 pm
Changed the oil/filter drain plug washer at 359,000. Liqui moly 10-40. Mann filter. Pulled the Volvo 20 valve spark plug cover to soak up a bit of oil that I assume passed by the filler cap gasket. Recently i had opened the filler cap and looked down at the exposed cam shaft. It appeared to be bone dry. I swiped the cam with a finger and sure enough there was 0 oil present. This leads me to believe that if the car sits for a couple days the top end is running dry at start up. Has anyone else experienced this? Did liqui moly help?
The oil will drain. Completely normal. Just like the walls will eventually be dry in the oil can if you slosh it around then let it sit. However there should still be pools of oil up there that gets thrown around a bit when it starts moving. I doubt any fancy additives will change that.



User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 17319
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 558 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: What did you do to your Volvo today? (now Sticky!!)

Post by abscate » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:34 am

If you look deep enough on car fora you will find statements like

"90% of engine wears happens on startup"

And if you look deeper on that there is no evidence to this claim other than additive marketing

How would you begin to test for such a thing? Test 100 engines that have many cold startup cycles vs others by disassembly?
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
tysauce1986


1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

User avatar
bmdubya1198
Posts: 2855
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 68 times
United States of America
bmdubya1198

Re: What did you do to your Volvo today? (now Sticky!!)

Post by bmdubya1198 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:08 am

Ocelot wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:38 am
That is an awesome story! I have a revenge story of my own, well, it's not really revenge and not nearly as cool as yours, but it think it to be cool anyway. So this happended a few years back when I was 22 years old and I owned a Ford Fiesta mk1 at the time. For those who don't know, I'm 2.05 meters tall and I'm built like a Dutch version of Bud Spencer (that's how my friends describe me and I love it since Bud is one of my hero's from when I was a kid). But you can't really notice that when you put someone like me in a car like that (by the way, the leg and headspace in that car were crazy, I had enough space all around).

So one day I'm cruizing down to the city of Vlissingen and the shortest route was through Belgium. So I did, but the highway of Antwerp is notoriously dangerous. Many accidents happen there and that day was no exception. So I'm stuck in traffic and the thing I do when I hit traffic is that I keep a bit of distance - like say, two to three cars - from the car that is in front of me. In that way, I can just put the car in second gear and let it idle instead of the usual throttle brake throttle brake routine. The guy behind isn't having that and starts to get on my tail like, I can't even see his headlights he's so close on me. I ignore it, the traffic jam is on all four lanes and nobody isn't going anywhere soon. The guy starts to flash it's high beams and shortly after I can see him flipping me of and mouthing the words F-you. The only thing I can do is laugh, for real. Where do you wanna go? Do you see a free lane I'm blocking you from?

Suddenly, I see him braking very hard and getting out of the car with a lifehammer in his hands (the things give out because they're bright orange). I don't think for a second and get out of my Fiesta. Remember, I'm 2.05 meters long, 120 kilo's, Dutch Bud Spencer. The Fiesta lifts a couple of centimeters up when I got out of the car and the guy just freezes in his tracks. I ask him what his problems are while walking at him. He just walks back to his car, sits, and locks all doors. Not a single word. Not a peep. All I can do is laugh. Aah, the memories :mrgreen:
That must have been a great feeling! All you needed to do is get out of your car and he backs right off!


1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 191k
2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 188k
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 151k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 collection of parts... crushed... still have parts, PM if interested!
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Still kicking myself for getting rid of this one

User avatar
WhatAmIDoing
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:13 pm
Year and Model: 1998 S70 T5M
Location: North America
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Canada
WhatAmIDoing

Re: What did you do to your Volvo today? (now Sticky!!)

Post by WhatAmIDoing » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:39 am

Ocelot wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:38 am
That is an awesome story! I have a revenge story of my own, well, it's not really revenge and not nearly as cool as yours, but it think it to be cool anyway. So this happended a few years back when I was 22 years old and I owned a Ford Fiesta mk1 at the time. For those who don't know, I'm 2.05 meters tall and I'm built like a Dutch version of Bud Spencer (that's how my friends describe me and I love it since Bud is one of my hero's from when I was a kid). But you can't really notice that when you put someone like me in a car like that (by the way, the leg and headspace in that car were crazy, I had enough space all around).

So one day I'm cruizing down to the city of Vlissingen and the shortest route was through Belgium. So I did, but the highway of Antwerp is notoriously dangerous. Many accidents happen there and that day was no exception. So I'm stuck in traffic and the thing I do when I hit traffic is that I keep a bit of distance - like say, two to three cars - from the car that is in front of me. In that way, I can just put the car in second gear and let it idle instead of the usual throttle brake throttle brake routine. The guy behind isn't having that and starts to get on my tail like, I can't even see his headlights he's so close on me. I ignore it, the traffic jam is on all four lanes and nobody isn't going anywhere soon. The guy starts to flash it's high beams and shortly after I can see him flipping me of and mouthing the words F-you. The only thing I can do is laugh, for real. Where do you wanna go? Do you see a free lane I'm blocking you from?

Suddenly, I see him braking very hard and getting out of the car with a lifehammer in his hands (the things give out because they're bright orange). I don't think for a second and get out of my Fiesta. Remember, I'm 2.05 meters long, 120 kilo's, Dutch Bud Spencer. The Fiesta lifts a couple of centimeters up when I got out of the car and the guy just freezes in his tracks. I ask him what his problems are while walking at him. He just walks back to his car, sits, and locks all doors. Not a single word. Not a peep. All I can do is laugh. Aah, the memories :mrgreen:
I feel like I pictured this beautifully in my head. I'm rolling. :lol:
Rattnalle wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:25 am
tysauce1986 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:41 pm
Changed the oil/filter drain plug washer at 359,000. Liqui moly 10-40. Mann filter. Pulled the Volvo 20 valve spark plug cover to soak up a bit of oil that I assume passed by the filler cap gasket. Recently i had opened the filler cap and looked down at the exposed cam shaft. It appeared to be bone dry. I swiped the cam with a finger and sure enough there was 0 oil present. This leads me to believe that if the car sits for a couple days the top end is running dry at start up. Has anyone else experienced this? Did liqui moly help?
The oil will drain. Completely normal. Just like the walls will eventually be dry in the oil can if you slosh it around then let it sit. However there should still be pools of oil up there that gets thrown around a bit when it starts moving. I doubt any fancy additives will change that.
Molybdenum disulfide is the one additive that is great for cold starts. It sticks to metal surfaces and creates an amazingly low-friction environment. It provides superior protection at cold start and during a catastrophic loss of oil pressure. So yes there are additives that reduce wear during cold starts even if the engine has been sitting for a while.
abscate wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:34 am
If you look deep enough on car fora you will find statements like

"90% of engine wears happens on startup"

And if you look deeper on that there is no evidence to this claim other than additive marketing

How would you begin to test for such a thing? Test 100 engines that have many cold startup cycles vs others by disassembly?
That's exactly how you would test it. Not sure any oil companies actually do such tests anymore. Probably done in computer simulations with theoretical data and parameters.

Technically more wear would happen at start up on a cold engine, but most engines should build oil pressure almost instantly. I would think within 60 seconds of turning the key, your engine would be pretty well lubricated.
These users thanked the author WhatAmIDoing for the post:
tysauce1986


'98 S70 T5M - 270,000+mi - forever a project
'99 S70 "AWD" - 218,000+mi - project
Knows enough to be dangerous :wink:

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 100 times
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: What did you do to your Volvo today? (now Sticky!!)

Post by Rattnalle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:39 am

WhatAmIDoing wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:39 am
Rattnalle wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:25 am
tysauce1986 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:41 pm
Changed the oil/filter drain plug washer at 359,000. Liqui moly 10-40. Mann filter. Pulled the Volvo 20 valve spark plug cover to soak up a bit of oil that I assume passed by the filler cap gasket. Recently i had opened the filler cap and looked down at the exposed cam shaft. It appeared to be bone dry. I swiped the cam with a finger and sure enough there was 0 oil present. This leads me to believe that if the car sits for a couple days the top end is running dry at start up. Has anyone else experienced this? Did liqui moly help?
The oil will drain. Completely normal. Just like the walls will eventually be dry in the oil can if you slosh it around then let it sit. However there should still be pools of oil up there that gets thrown around a bit when it starts moving. I doubt any fancy additives will change that.
Molybdenum disulfide is the one additive that is great for cold starts. It sticks to metal surfaces and creates an amazingly low-friction environment. It provides superior protection at cold start and during a catastrophic loss of oil pressure. So yes there are additives that reduce wear during cold starts even if the engine has been sitting for a while.
It won't change the fact that the oil will have drained away from surfaces and pooled at the bottom where there are cavities.

Personally I'm betting that if the Moly was such a game changer everyone would use it or recommend it. But either they don't or they do but it isn't a big deal. Engines often last much longer than the rest of the car either way if serviced.



tysauce1986
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:35 pm
Year and Model: 1995 850 GLT wagon 5
Location: Norwich,CT
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time
United States of America
tysauce1986

Re: What did you do to your Volvo today? (now Sticky!!)

Post by tysauce1986 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Personally I'm betting that if the Moly was such a game changer everyone would use it or recommend it. But either they don't or they do but it isn't a big deal. Engines often last much longer than the rest of the car either way if serviced.
[/quote]

I think I agree with you. The engine has gone this far with proper. Maintenance. But I'm willing to give liquimoly a shot.



User avatar
June
Posts: 1314
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 11:18 am
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Has thanked: 196 times
Been thanked: 94 times
United States of America
June

Re: What did you do to your Volvo today? (now Sticky!!)

Post by June » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Rattnalle wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:39 am
WhatAmIDoing wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:39 am
Rattnalle wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:25 am

The oil will drain. Completely normal. Just like the walls will eventually be dry in the oil can if you slosh it around then let it sit. However there should still be pools of oil up there that gets thrown around a bit when it starts moving. I doubt any fancy additives will change that.
Molybdenum disulfide is the one additive that is great for cold starts. It sticks to metal surfaces and creates an amazingly low-friction environment. It provides superior protection at cold start and during a catastrophic loss of oil pressure. So yes there are additives that reduce wear during cold starts even if the engine has been sitting for a while.
It won't change the fact that the oil will have drained away from surfaces and pooled at the bottom where there are cavities.

Personally I'm betting that if the Moly was such a game changer everyone would use it or recommend it. But either they don't or they do but it isn't a big deal. Engines often last much longer than the rest of the car either way if serviced.
Last night I peeked through the grates and oil was still pooled under the cam. My car had not been started for a couple of days. So even if the cam was dry, it would be wet with oil as soon as it hit the puddle under it? Just my thoughts. I still feel my engine is being better protected by the ester based Redline oil. June


My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 17319
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 558 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: What did you do to your Volvo today? (now Sticky!!)

Post by abscate » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:20 pm

Metal on metal for seconds, or even a minute, isnt damaging as long as the engine isnt loaded. Thats why you can show those trick videos of running an engine with an empty sump for a minute or two without damage.

Oil gets pumped around the cams and splash lubes pretty quickly.

Once you ask the engine to start moving 2 tons of Swedish steel, the oil pressure is important.
These users thanked the author abscate for the post (total 2):
tysauce1986June


1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

tysauce1986
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:35 pm
Year and Model: 1995 850 GLT wagon 5
Location: Norwich,CT
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time
United States of America
tysauce1986

Re: What did you do to your Volvo today? (now Sticky!!)

Post by tysauce1986 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:28 pm

abscate wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Metal on metal for seconds, or even a minute, isnt damaging as long as the engine isnt loaded. Thats why you can show those trick videos of running an engine with an empty sump for a minute or two without damage.

Oil gets pumped around the cams and splash lubes pretty quickly.

Once you ask the engine to start moving 2 tons of Swedish steel, the oil pressure is important.
Working as an apprentice machinist, the thought of no lube makes me cringe a bit. So while it may be a valid concern i realize it will be ok. Thanks all for your responses.
These users thanked the author tysauce1986 for the post:
June



User avatar
bmdubya1198
Posts: 2855
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 68 times
United States of America
bmdubya1198

Re: What did you do to your Volvo today? (now Sticky!!)

Post by bmdubya1198 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:17 pm

abscate wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Once you ask the engine to start moving 2 tons of Swedish steel, the oil pressure is important.
My wagon's only about 3,400 pounds according to the scale at the scrap yard :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author bmdubya1198 for the post:
abscate


1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 191k
2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 188k
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 151k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 collection of parts... crushed... still have parts, PM if interested!
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Still kicking myself for getting rid of this one

Post Reply