IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

The SRS Codes that Will NOT Die

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

KidsV70
Year and Model: 2002 V70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
KidsV70

The SRS Codes that Will NOT Die

Post by KidsV70 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:46 am

Hi folks,

I've got a Big SRS problem. (I'll attach a screenshot of all the codes from VIDA) So, to give a brief history- I bought this car (2002 V70 2.4T) about a year ago. It's my daughter's car and a bit of a father-daughter project. Problem was I discovered it has an SRS problem. In fact, somebody (before we bought it) had covered the light and removed the bulbs for the text message display in the DIM! So I got a VIDA/Dice and checked it. It was an issue with the Driver's side SIPS bag. I tried using a resistor to test the bag, and no change except that it registered a new error about the capacitance of the SIPS bag. I replaced the SIPS bag with a junkyard bag, and again, no change. It also acquired a "no signal from driver's belt buckle" error also. I figured I'd damaged the wire moving the seat around so I replaced that with another junkyard part. I checked the wiring from the SIPS bag to the SRS module and it shows no shorts. I also tried creating an error by disconnecting the right side SIPS and I could not clear that SRS error even after I'd reconnected it. And yes, the CEM is green in the module display in VIDA.

So I sent the module off to be repaired by Airbag Systems Inc in Texas. After I got it back, I still got the same errors!! In fact, now I have some new ones about the driver's airbag and the passenger seat pretensioner. I bought a new SIPS bag and driver's belt buckle from FCP Euro (New OEM Volvo) and get the same errors. I tried clearing it a few times just for kicks, and it cleared ONE time. Unfortunately, after I cycled the car (turn off/turn on again) the codes came back and won't clear again.

So, any suggestions (short of something involving fire)??

My best guess is that the SRS module is still bad; that whatever they did to "repair" it didn't work. Anybody else got ideas or suggestions of a shop I can take it to in Hampton Roads, VA? I've talked to one local mechanic who can't download software, and he tells me I'm doing what he could do. So is this a "bite the bullet" and and take it to Volvo?

One last thought- I know the battery is getting old, but since I am doing my work with VIDA while the car is running, I don't think that is a likely issue.

Thanks!
Bert
Attachments
IMG_3358.JPG

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: The SRS Codes that Will NOT Die

Post by SuperHerman » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Did you check the car to see if it sustained some impact damage? From the sounds of it the car was hit and the air bags deployed. Prior owner went to great lengths to fix and hide the problem - faced with the same issues you are facing. Ultimately the old pull the bulb technique was used.

The other possibility is the car had water intrusion and caused a world of hurt. I would lean towards the first scenario - the car was hit - the airbags deployed. The issue was hidden rather than properly fixed.

It would be easier to fix the current problem if you knew what the original problem was - that may not be possible. I doubt the seller will tell you anything as their actions were most likely criminal.

From here, knowing something about how the shady side of the repair industry works from former clients, I would guess your car was rebuilt using donor parts from various cars. Specifically I am not sure about your seats. You need to look carefully and make sure you have the proper seats for your car. If they check out visually, look for signs that the modules may have been swapped out. Usually one can tell by the factory zip ties, loose bolts ... Next step is examine whether the seat covers were removed and wrong "working bags" were used.

After that you need to pull back what is required to look at your wiring loom to see if it has been spliced. When I did a seat swap on a S60, in order to get mine to function I had to move the modules over. So I had new seats with old modules and controls - that way the wiring harness plugged in with no issues. I had no issues. I looked at the seat wiring diagrams for both seats and figured out what was correct. Point being the other route would have been to cut the harness and match it up to the donor seat, but that would not have followed the wiring diagram for my S60. Prior owner may have done this and this could be the cause of your problems.

As you took out the seats and did a bunch of work, you should have an idea of what I described and whether it may have occurred, even signs the seats were removed by how the mounting bolts looked.

Have you looked at VIDA and read how the SRS system works - there should be flow charts explaining the system and how it is tied together. You can also use VIDA and the VIN and to find the exact parts used on your car - with this match it all up to see if you have a FrankenSRS set up.

One simple explanation is the SRS module is incorrect for your car - you had it repaired but being the wrong one it will not work. Check the part numbers, and maybe VIDA can tell you what software is loaded. (It will do this with the transmission module - maybe it will for the SRS module). The SRS module may be the correct part number, but from a different car, therefore having the wrong software loaded. Not sure if the dealer can load the correct software, overwriting the one there. Reading posts for other modules some have had success loading new software while others have dealers saying new module and new software. Because of this, maybe try sourcing a like for like used SRS module, if it is cheap enough it should work, and worth the gamble. But before doing this make sure everything else is "original" or "original replacement" for all items showing faults (correct part number for your VIN and not software dependent). Still it would not hurt to call a dealer and talk to a tech that actually does SRS work. Some dealers have no body shop and send it off to a body shop - how it works for software and clearing codes - I don't know for your shop. My body shop clients usually do the repairs and send to the dealer to sort the codes and software as they don't have the tools to do this part. They never have issues.

That is all I got. Rotten situation.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:57 pm

Interesting thread.
It would be easier to fix the current problem if you knew what the original problem was - that may not be possible. I doubt the seller will tell you anything as their actions were most likely criminal.
Very, very likely. Car forensics. Following!
These users thanked the author matthew1 for the post:
abscate

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:56 pm

In Vida go to Diagnostics-Vehicle Communication-Network. Find the SRS module and click on it.

Make sure it is green and reports to the network. It will show two software part numbers.

Another module from the same model year SHOULD have the same numbers. Get a used one from another car. SRS modules are EXTREMELY reliable. If the sw numbers don't match get a hold of MVS member Sergey or Yagger as he's known here and he can clone the original SRS module. He and his business partner Henry have cloned dozens of used Volvo modules for me and they do a great job.

What I'm saying is that the initial check done by that company may not have been accurate.
These users thanked the author precopster for the post:
KidsV70

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

KidsV70
United States of America
KidsV70

Post by KidsV70 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi SuperHerman- Thanks for the reply! :) It's late here so forgive me if I miss a key point. I want to take a shot at a reply, though.

As far as I know, the car has had 3 minor accidents, but nothing that would deploy the airbags. I have the CarFax and a significant part of its repair history, so I'm pretty comfortable with that conclusion. When I started with this problem, it was showing only one code- the SIPS airbag resistance code SRS-0034. I created the capacitance code by swapping in a resistor for the SIPS bag during diagnostics, and I created the airbag light fault (SRS-00d4) by taking out the DIM without properly disconnecting the battery first. And I created the SRS-00d0 Buckle issue while SIPS testing with the resistor You have to disconnect the big connector under the seat, which includes the seatbelt connector. The issue is that they won't clear even after I've reconnected them or replaced them. So I'm not thinking water intrusion either, though it certainly is plausible.

I will check VIDA for the VIN's. Thanks for the tip. Though since I can communicate with the SRS module, wouldn't that indicate that it is original, or at least VIN coded to the car? I tried another SRS module (from a 2001 XC70) and got a communication fault and nothing else.

Precopster- contacting your colleagues may be the best plan. Either that or swapping in another module from a later year V70. Thanks for the tip and the idea! Anything that keeps me out of the dealership is a win IMO!

Thanks all!
Bert

KidsV70
United States of America
KidsV70

Post by KidsV70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:01 pm

Everyone- Yagger suggested I find another module, since the 2001 had also been "repaired" by the same company that failed to repair my original. I ordered one online since none of the local yards had one, and with a little code clearing, the SRS system was finally up and running!!!

Thanks, everyone!! For $38, I have a state-inspected, legally driveable Volvo!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:26 pm

Glad it worked out.

A heads up on the company name would be great; not to shame them but as an indication of what to expect from them.
It's difficult enough to repair a car without so-called "experts" giving your parts a clean bill of health when they're in fact faulty.

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

KidsV70
United States of America
KidsV70

Post by KidsV70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks Precopster.

The company is Airbag Systems (airbagsystems.com)in Texas. And thanks for the update on etiquette too, though as I re-read the thread, I see I did mention their name in the first post. Oops! I'm glad it was ok to do so.

I don't fault the company either. I think what they do is a software update rather than any look at the actual hardware. My guess is that my original module had some sort of hardware fault they couldn't or didn't check for.

best,
Bert