IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2002 Volvo S80 T6 won't drive

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
NorCalBoy
Year and Model: 2002 s80 t6
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
NorCalBoy

2002 Volvo S80 T6 won't drive

Post by NorCalBoy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:42 pm

I need some help. My car just stopped driving the other day. It won't engage into any gear. Sometimes it will but only for a few feet and then it stops like its in nuetral. Whats going on?

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: 2002 Volvo S80 T6 won't drive

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:48 pm

You most likely have a transmission issue. Do you have any lights and have you scanned for any codes? How many miles on the S80? Without codes it might be premature to say your transmission is gone - so you need to have it scanned.

Start by checking your fluid level and color. If it is low that could be the problem. As your car has the 4t65E transmission, it most likely has a serious issue. See this site and check on your symptoms for possible causes. http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/4T ... blems.html

Based on your description, but not knowing your mileage and location (lots of hills in your CA location would cause quicker wear), I would guess your filter is full of crud. Maybe a transmission filter and transmission oil replacement may solve your problems, but doubtful. Generally what follows is what is happening - on your car this may not be the case, but it is highly probable.

Basically what is happening is your transmission filter is clogged from all sorts of wear and tear. When the car is turned off some of this crud falls back down into the pan. Once the engine turns on, the transmission turns on and the transmission oil pump starts to suck up fluid and all the crud. This then blocks the screen/filter from passing fluid to the valve body and related - no pressure means no movement. Turn it off and the crud falls back down - turn it on and it gets sucked back up. For those short moments of movement the filter lets enough fluid to pass through to create pressure to move the car - then it clogs up all the way and no more movement.

Usually this is an indication of transmission rebuild time. Fortunately the 4T65E is found in countless cars and a rebuild can be done fairly cheap, under $3,000 with a nice warranty. If you are handy you can take it on yourself. There are rights ups on the forum, but it is not an easy process.

jonnies
Year and Model: 2006–2013 S40/V50
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
jonnies

Re: 2002 Volvo S80 T6 won't drive

Post by jonnies » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:35 am

I also have the same problem. :( Thanks I hope it will work.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death