IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Which Struts? 06 S40 T5 AWD Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
ktklobe
Year and Model: 2006 S40 T5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ktklobe

Which Struts? 06 S40 T5 AWD

Post by ktklobe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:40 am

I’ve seen some discussion on here and throughout the web about the FW and AWD utilizing the same front struts. 06 S40 T5 AWD is what I’ve got. Everything I’m finding, that’s not $56 USD is for FW only(what websites are saying). I know I’d seen something somewhere here about this, but I can’t seem to find it again. I’ve looked at the Blistein HD BIL-35110743 strut pair because I thought it fit the AWD...but alas I may be wrong. I don’t let my daughters drive this on the highway because it chatters all over the road when you hit a bump. My MR2 would have killed me with this by now. If anyone has recommendations for a solid setup I could really use the help. I’m not looking to corner like Mario or for F1 performance, but stability would be great. I’m still learning the Volvo, so an assembly, as to putting something together(if available) would be a lot gentler on me. Thanks again guys, all of the previous help has been appreciated.
Last edited by matthew1 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improved title

V50Operator
Year and Model: 2005 V50
United States of America
V50Operator

Re: Struts  Topic is solved

Post by V50Operator » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi ktklobe,

I've been lurking here for about a decade, but never created an account 'til now, because I felt like I could answer your question.

I just ordered these for my '05 V50 T5 last week, they have not arrived yet, but they were affordable and seem to be what you might be looking for, too.
Here's what I ordered and the price:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dcPAi9 ... sp=sharing

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmer ... mk=46&mt=1

Does that fit the bill?
These users thanked the author V50Operator for the post:
matthew1

PaddyB
Year and Model: 2004 S40
Great Britain
PaddyB

Re: Struts

Post by PaddyB » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi

FWD & AWD S40 T5s have the same struts - the difference in ride height is achieved using spacers, which you can reuse when you change the springs & shocks.

Have a look at the build plate - it's on the inside of the B-pillar of the rear passenger door. This details the suspension setup the car left the factory with, there's a thread on here or IPD on how to interpret it.

I've just bought some Bilstein B4s & Eibach lowering springs with a 25mm drop, which is close enough to the 20mm drop the stock "dynamic chassis" springs have. I'll be fitting them later this week.

Check your lower control arm bushings - chattering around on uneven surfaces suggests they may need refreshing.

Cheers Paddy
These users thanked the author PaddyB for the post:
matthew1

ktklobe
Year and Model: 2006 S40 T5
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ktklobe

Re: Which Struts? 06 S40 T5 AWD

Post by ktklobe » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Sorry for the late reply. We’ve been getting a mobile cycling repair business off the ground.... I’ll check this out and get back, thank you!