IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

POLL: How did you buy from FCP?

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.

How did you buy from FCP?

I clicked the FCP ad at the top of an MVS page
12%
I clicked an FCP link on an MVS Forums post
2%
I used a bookmark
34%
I typed in their URL
44%
Other
5%
I didn't buy from FCP
2%

Total votes: 41

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Re: POLL: How did you buy from FCP?

Post by mrbrian200 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:22 pm

I'm pretty sure MVS is where I first heard about FCP also. I'm not sure the click through the link 'procedure' is the best way to approach this. But I'm at a loss for any other way to do it. FCP doesn't have a 'where did your hear about us' field during checkout that I've ever noticed. I can't say how many times I've placed an order to MVS sponsors...then sometime after completing checkout I remember that I should have linked through MVS before adding items to the cart, but didn't.

If their sales volume drops noticeably after dropping MVS they'll be back eventually. It's possible MVS wasn't the only ad campaign they've pulled away from. Sometimes companies decide they have enough brand recall/recognition to pull back from advertising for awhile. But you can't do that long term, eventually they have to step back into the fold or risk being 'forgotten' by both old and potential new customers.
These users thanked the author mrbrian200 for the post:
matthew1

callahanoffroad
Year and Model: 1995 850
United States of America
callahanoffroad

Post by callahanoffroad » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:30 am

So add point of habit I always type in a url manually. I've been an online business owner for a long time and advertising is expensive. So I always type it out as opposed to the pay per click link. I learned about FCP from MVS, and quite frankly would never have gone there even once without MVS. But because of the insanely good reputation they have here I bought with confidence. But I'll be honest I've had some of their parts fail on me, a coil ignitor after 10,000 miles comes to mind. Just my $.02
These users thanked the author callahanoffroad for the post:
matthew1

Author, Chef, and Shade Tree Mechanic

1995 Volvo 850, Non-Turbo, VVIS, LH FI, Green, 215,000 miles. B5254FS engine. Herman. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84393

1996 Volvo 850, died at 280,000

Founder of: CookingForChemo.Org

E Showell
Year and Model: V70R '06 AWD Auto
United States of America
E Showell

Post by E Showell » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:42 am

I too have had parts sourced from FCP fail, but on the rare occasions it has happened, FCP always dealt with it promptly and professionally.

They seemed to pay attention to this community as well. URO hoses come to mind for parts FCP stopped carrying because user experience with parts quality was negative.

'98 V70 NA FWD 5 spd, silver sand metallic (sold)
'99 V70 NA FWD Auto, dark blue (actively for sale)
'99 S70 NA FWD Auto, black (sold and resurrected -- Don't cry for me Argentina . . . )
'07 S80 3.2 FWD Auto, Barents Blue Metallic
'06 V70 R AWD Auto, Sonic Blue Metallic
'04 XC70 Ruby Red Metallic

ZionXIX
Year and Model: 1996 850 Turbo S/W
United States of America
ZionXIX

Post by ZionXIX » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:35 am

I too sent FCP an email with my thought on their decision. Now that eeuroparts has a similar warranty I may try them for a while.
These users thanked the author ZionXIX for the post:
matthew1

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:46 am

Thanks for the input, guys. It's very helpful.

I don't know FCP's motivations, if it's a matter of reducing ad spending across the board, or a value/cost/benefit calculation on their MVS ad specifically.

If it's the MVS cost/benefit specifically, that's where this discussion is important. I think in the last 5,6,7 years advertisers have been lured into a world of numbers to determine marketing effectiveness, thanks to systems like Google AdWords. That's where advertisers (anyone) can place ads anywhere on the Web... to appear on any site that runs Google AdSense. I've used it. It's got really deep and wide reporting capabilities to show exactly how effective your ads are: who (demographics) is clicking on them, when they're clicking, and in some cases, it gives you insight on everything all the way through to the post-buy Thank You page.

As you can imagine, this can be a powerful lure, and can make dollars spent on a simple sponsorship seem pretty lame.

I'm not saying FCP is caught in this syndrome. I have no idea what they're using to determine marketing campaign effectiveness. I have 0 insight into how they operate, and I'm not accusing them of anything.

As a footnote, FCP guys, I'm not trying to stir up a mob, just trying to get information on user behavior on how they go to advertisers' sites... if tracking is an accurate method to determine the value of a sponsorship.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:47 pm

clarkerussell wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:16 pm
Hey @Matt, I tried to do a donation via PayPal, but it's erroring out on me. Is the PayPal link still valid?
I’ll look at it when I get home in about 2 hours.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:54 pm

@clarkerussell, congrats on passing 11 years membership! https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/donate Donations go to MVS server expenses, which these days run about $125/month (Dreamhost Cloud Compute + AWS for images).

Not a high or low, it's kinda in a historical average. It's been up over $250 with Rackspace, and that enterprise class hosting was dead reliable. We'll see what Google Cloud Platform brings. I'll be working on moving over to that this week.

Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:25 pm

FCP might see different if there was a way to link a FCP account to MVS.

FCP might see the light if they read MVS and seen all the word of mouth recommendations for FCP. Any business manager worth his salt knows the value of word of mouth recommendations
These users thanked the author RickHaleParker for the post:
matthew1

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

j-dawg
Year and Model: 1999 V70 T5
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
j-dawg

Post by j-dawg » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:03 pm

Car forums are generally in decline with the recent rise of Facebook, Instagram, and other social media feeds that bring relevant #content right into things we click through anyway. Too, advertisers can now splash their ads on literally any website we visit - I see ads from FCP and eEuroParts for things I've looked at while reading the news, scrolling through the 'gram, etc. Not to be too gloomy about it, but when was the last time you saw a months- or years-long build thread like the ones you'd see on Honda Tech or Nico Club in 2006? I spend more idle time on catch-all websites and apps that figure out what I want for me than websites I had to find on my own. The algorithms have captured my dopamine receptors very effectively.

There's still a place for sites like this, but the mindspace market for making an account on a website for a single purpose has shrunk. Maybe FCP decided their ad budget is better spent on tweets than posts.
These users thanked the author j-dawg for the post:
matthew1

1999 V70 T5 5-SPD | ~270k mi | burns more oil than gasoline

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:48 pm

Well said, j-dawg. The silver lining of the movement away from car forums is that after all these new players, the best place for repairs is still a car forum. Facebook moves too fast to be a good repository for repair information. I can't remember the last time I saw a FB post from more than a week prior. You can get answers there, but as a reference? a storehouse for organized information?... it's poor.

I use MVS FB posts as flags that say "Hey this is a new repair at MVS", and little else.

A sad aspect of this new trend to Facebook, IMHO, is that FB page owners get no revenue from their efforts at running their page. Mark Zuckerberg gets it. They get esteem and maybe prestige, but in a sense they work for Zuckerberg for free. They draw users from a system that makes someone some income to one that makes nobody income, except FB shareholders.

Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]