IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

I just created an MVS Facebook Group

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Re: I just created an MVS Facebook Group

Post by matthew1 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:54 pm

No coincidence. I'm approving new members when I go there and see requests. 168 now.

This forum will not suffer because of this new FB group. So far, the group requires almost no time. If it does start to require my time, I'll appoint moderators to police it.

It'll be a net gain. I'll cross-polinate ideas/DIYs if they don't occur naturally.
These users thanked the author matthew1 for the post:
TheOtherside

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

prwood
Year and Model: 2001 V70 2.4T
United States of America
prwood

Post by prwood » Mon May 20, 2019 2:12 pm

matthew1 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:54 pm
This forum will not suffer because of this new FB group. So far, the group requires almost no time. If it does start to require my time, I'll appoint moderators to police it.

It'll be a net gain. I'll cross-polinate ideas/DIYs if they don't occur naturally.
I agree. I feel like the FB group and MVS site/forum will be complementary.

I tend to like Facebook for the rich media and feedback options it offers. It's a great place to post a quick photo or video and get immediate response in the form of comments and reactions. FB is definitely pushing their Groups pretty hard as of late, based on the advertising I'm seeing within FB itself. Looking over the posts in the MVS FB group so far, my biggest takeaway is that my Volvo probably deserves some exterior TLC as it looks like crap compared to most of the member photos. :lol: I did see that I can do a live video broadcast from the Facebook app to the MVS FB group, so perhaps that will be an exciting experiment for the future the next time I'm shoulder-deep in some engine work. :wink:

However, I do feel that FB is not the greatest for DIY troubleshooting threads, and I think the forum will still be my go-to place for that, if for no other reason than it will still get exposure to any folks who choose not to use FB. There's also the consideration that Facebook has ultimate control over what content appears on Facebook, how it looks, and how it shows up on search, in service to their advertisers. I work in web development for a company that uses Facebook's marketing and advertising platform, so I have a good amount of firsthand experience with that. The MVS forum, on the other hand, you can count on for being un-messed-with for the most part (moderator actions aside). That being said, I can't say I won't give FB a try at some point for a troubleshooting discussion.
These users thanked the author prwood for the post:
matthew1

Cars I've owned:
- 2015 to current: 2001 Volvo V70 2.4T
- 2007 to 2015: 2002 Subaru Legacy L Wagon
- 2003 to 2016: 2001 Toyota Corolla LE
- 1999 to 2003: 1994 Toyota Camry LE

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Mon May 20, 2019 2:24 pm

matthew1 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:54 pm
No coincidence. I'm approving new members when I go there and see requests. 168 now.

My hope is the FB group causes a increase MVS's traffic. Sort of like advertisement. Benefiting MVS. June
These users thanked the author June for the post:
matthew1

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned