IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? πŸ€”
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Lower control arm and CV boot, should I bother?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

User avatar
vtl
Posts: 1447
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:35 pm
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 22 times
United States of America
vtl

Re: Lower control arm and CV boot, should I bother?

Post by vtl » Mon May 20, 2019 1:21 pm

Yes, Castrol HD does not have MOS2 as it seems, good to go. MOS2 kills the tripod joints.


2005 XC70 250k
2016 XC60 40k

Archer
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:23 am
Year and Model: 1998 V70 T5/S70 T5M
Location: Florida
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times
United States of America
Archer

Re: Lower control arm and CV boot, should I bother?

Post by Archer » Mon May 20, 2019 2:39 pm

Thd GKN CV boots are bomber, seem very substantial/high quality rubber.



cn90
Posts: 6367
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:54 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Omaha NE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 70 times
United States of America
cn90

Re: Lower control arm and CV boot, should I bother?

Post by cn90 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:22 pm

vtl wrote: ↑
Mon May 20, 2019 1:21 pm
Yes, Castrol HD does not have MOS2 as it seems, good to go. MOS2 kills the tripod joints.
FYI,

MOS2 does not kill CV joint. Do a little google search "MOS2 CV Grease" and you will see MOS2 is in the CV grease for many cars.


2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

User avatar
erikv11
Posts: 8964
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R
Location: Iowa
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 166 times
United States of America
erikv11

Re: Lower control arm and CV boot, should I bother?

Post by erikv11 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 pm

vtl wrote: ↑
Thu May 16, 2019 5:54 pm
... I think one of the most expensive ($200ish) was Raxles, and it was not good.
You think the raxles item was bad, or you think it was expensive? Huge difference. Marty and raxles.com have a universally stellar reputation, this would be the first time I've heard of a problem with them. What was the problem?


'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 140k
'98 S70 NA, 205k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 275k
'06 S60 R, 155k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

User avatar
vtl
Posts: 1447
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:35 pm
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 22 times
United States of America
vtl

Re: Lower control arm and CV boot, should I bother?

Post by vtl » Tue May 21, 2019 12:43 pm

erikv11 wrote: ↑
Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 pm
vtl wrote: ↑
Thu May 16, 2019 5:54 pm
... I think one of the most expensive ($200ish) was Raxles, and it was not good.
You think the raxles item was bad, or you think it was expensive? Huge difference. Marty and raxles.com have a universally stellar reputation, this would be the first time I've heard of a problem with them. What was the problem?
Had to unpack my mail archive to find out the details. I must apology, I've never had a Raxles axle (got a reply that they don't rebuild Volvo axles). About 5 years ago I was going through miserably experience of passenger side axle replacement with aftermarket, cheapest was like $90, the most expensive is in $200 range. Ended up buying an original axle.

I'm sorry about Raxles confusion, memory starts to lie :(


2005 XC70 250k
2016 XC60 40k

User avatar
June
Posts: 1314
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 11:18 am
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Has thanked: 196 times
Been thanked: 94 times
United States of America
June

Re: Lower control arm and CV boot, should I bother?

Post by June » Tue May 21, 2019 1:12 pm

vtl wrote: ↑
Tue May 21, 2019 12:43 pm
erikv11 wrote: ↑
Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 pm
vtl wrote: ↑
Thu May 16, 2019 5:54 pm
... I think one of the most expensive ($200ish) was Raxles, and it was not good.
You think the raxles item was bad, or you think it was expensive? Huge difference. Marty and raxles.com have a universally stellar reputation, this would be the first time I've heard of a problem with them. What was the problem?
Had to unpack my mail archive to find out the details. I must apology, I've never had a Raxles axle (got a reply that they don't rebuild Volvo axles). About 5 years ago I was going through miserably experience of passenger side axle replacement with aftermarket, cheapest was like $90, the most expensive is in $200 range. Ended up buying an original axle.

I'm sorry about Raxles confusion, memory starts to lie :(
Where did you get a original axle for $200? June


My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

User avatar
vtl
Posts: 1447
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:35 pm
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 22 times
United States of America
vtl

Re: Lower control arm and CV boot, should I bother?

Post by vtl » Tue May 21, 2019 2:03 pm

June wrote: ↑
Tue May 21, 2019 1:12 pm
Where did you get a original axle for $200? June
$200 was the most expensive aftermarket axle I've tried.
Volvo was $600 (GKN was not available here yet).
GKN for the other side was $300-something.
These users thanked the author vtl for the post:
June


2005 XC70 250k
2016 XC60 40k

XC70Rider
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:09 pm
Year and Model: 2007 XC70
Location: MA
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 12 times
United States of America
XC70Rider

Re: Lower control arm and CV boot, should I bother?

Post by XC70Rider » Tue May 21, 2019 3:11 pm

Does the ATF sump need to be drained when replacing the seals? Should I pull the seals with a universal seal puller or use the tip of a pry bar?

Got the 4 boot kits and 2 seals for the front axles delivered today. I'll rebuild them within the next 2 weeks.



User avatar
vtl
Posts: 1447
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:35 pm
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 22 times
United States of America
vtl

Re: Lower control arm and CV boot, should I bother?

Post by vtl » Tue May 21, 2019 6:22 pm

No, but 2-4 oz will leak out.

Use 2 seals, one may not hold for long if the original seal started to leak. Just push the first one as deep as you can and then install the other one.


2005 XC70 250k
2016 XC60 40k

XC70Rider
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:09 pm
Year and Model: 2007 XC70
Location: MA
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 12 times
United States of America
XC70Rider

Re: Lower control arm and CV boot, should I bother?

Post by XC70Rider » Tue May 21, 2019 8:23 pm

vtl wrote: ↑
Tue May 21, 2019 6:22 pm
No, but 2-4 oz will leak out.

Use 2 seals, one may not hold for long if the original seal started to leak. Just push the first one as deep as you can and then install the other one.
Original seals aren't leaking yet. Should I push in the originals and follow with the new matching Corteco seals?

Using the new Corteco seals I'll search for a socket or pipe to push them in. The right seal is twice the size of left seal.



Post Reply