IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

General fluid replacement question

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Durenol
Year and Model: Volvo 2007
United States of America
Durenol

General fluid replacement question

Post by Durenol » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:33 am

Excluding oil and windshield washer, can I get a rundown on other fluids? I've asked scattered questions about these before but they're buried deep in threads I can't find so I'd like to have them collected all in one place.

We have a 2007 XC70 and the manual is rather vague, saying outright that several of these fluids never need replacing and not even giving specs on what to buy if we wanted to. I don't really believe this, so I'm trying to get a list of common knowledge / best practices for the following:

Engine coolant:
- How often should it be flushed/replaced
- What kind am I supposed to buy
- What does "healthy" fluid vs "bad" fluid look like
- How do the MIN and MAX lines relate to engine temperature (when is it ACTUALLY low)

Transmission fluid:
- This is supposed to be checked when the engine is hot and after the transmission has been rotated though all gears a few times, right?
- You're NOT supposed to get this 'power flushed', right?

Power steering fluid:
- Our tank appears to be overfilled (it reaches the 'hot' line when the engine is cold) but it hasn't caused any apparent problem. Should it be drained slightly?

Brake fluid:
- Are you supposed to replace this every time you get new breaks?

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Re: General fluid replacement question

Post by matthew1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 am

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

Durenol
Year and Model: Volvo 2007
United States of America
Durenol

Post by Durenol » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:23 am

OK thanks, that 2nd link sorta helps since it at least gives me an idea of which brands are possible to use, although I would really like to find a list explaining what the options are and how and when to tell when you need to do this stuff. The first link to the 'official' images is what I'm complaining about, it says basically nothing.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:30 am

Transmission fluid. Yes, do some drain and fills rather than a flush.
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forum ... =9&t=26863 fluid drain and fill steps, I'm looking for the photos, sorry they're not there (Image Shack :x :x)
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forum ... hp?t=81911 level, temperature, min/max marking difference

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Brake fluid every 2 years. Bad looks like good, ergo, every 2 years

Coolant every 30,000 miles. If you have some coolant in the reservoir you are fine, unless you have to keep adding coolant to keep that condition. Also , you can’t visually tell good/ bad

Power steering fluid?

ATF...this is complex

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

velorider
Year and Model: 2005 S60 T5
United States of America
velorider

Post by velorider » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:30 pm

I didn't response to what good fluid looks like, once they looks bad it's overdue or the system has a problem. Follow the maintenance schedule, if you don't know the history, it less the $100 for all fluids. What schedule and brands will be a debated topic. I've had 2 Volvos for over 17 years, '02 S60 2.4T 04-15 and a '05 S60 T5 17-Present. There are DIY posts here on MVS for how each procedure is performed.

Engine coolant
* Every 2 year if drain and fill
* Every 5 years if complete flush. Drain and fill with water multiple time until fluid is clear. Then drain and fill with full strength coolant, this will produce slightly less then 50/50 mix

Transmission fluid
* Every 30K if drain and fill
* Every 60K if using Gibson method

Power steering fluid:
* Pentosin CHF202
* Lift front wheels off ground, suck out fluid from reservoir and refill. Disconnect return line and while turning wheel lock to lock fluid will pump out, fill as reservoir as level drop. Don't turn on the car, don't let reservoir completely empty.

Brake fluid:
* Every brake job
* Pentosin Super Dot 4

Below is a cart I created on FCP Euro for everything you asked about. Double the transmission order if using the Gibson method.
Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 9.14.57 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amblerman
Year and Model: 1999 s70
United States of America
amblerman

Post by amblerman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:26 pm

velorider wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:30 pm
I didn't response to what good fluid looks like, once they looks bad it's overdue or the system has a problem. F
I had started a post about how if some fluids look bad, it's already too late. I got distracted and never posted it.

For example, if coolant looks bad, it could mean it has lost all its corrosion protection and any iron bits exposed to the coolant are rusting. But that will only happen if the coolant is left in past any recommended change interval and it has deteriorated. The reason the coolant would look bad is because of rust now contaminating the fluid.

I just bled the brakes on two of my cars. 2006 honda accord and 1999 s70.
New brake fluid generally has a clear, ginger ale or slight green color to it but in all cases it's quite clear. Easy to see through.

The fluid coming out of my honda started out the color of maple syrup. Brown and barely able to see through. It definitely needed to be changed. Whether it was still safe or doing its job properly is unknown to me but I am glad I decided to change it.
The fluid coming out of my s70 was still quite clear (slight green tint to it). I suspect the brakes were changed on the car just prior to me buying it due to the thickness of the pads but that is still two years ago so I wanted to bleed the brakes anyway.

My s70 uses ATF for it's power steering fluid. That fluid is red in color but easy to see through. When I last changed my power steering fluid, it had become a dark red and was hard to see through. Whether or not was "bad" I can't say.

However, I agree with veolrider's statement that it's better to change the fluids on schedule to avoid reaching the bad state.

_A