IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Secondary Water Pump 2015.5 V60 T5

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 2015+ XC60 2010-2018.
Anticus
Year and Model: 2015.5 V60 T5
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Anticus

Secondary Water Pump 2015.5 V60 T5

Post by Anticus » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:35 pm

Okay I'm about to pull my hair out over this and I can't find any info, even in the service manual.

I was told by my shop that my water pump needed to change, but it was way expensive so I did it myself. On the phone, the mechanic told me that they had hooked the old pump up to 12V and it wasn't turning at all, which told me that the electric pump needed to be changed, as diagnostic procedure for a mechanical pump tends not to involve electricity.

I bought another pump and changed it per the service manual instructions. When I had hooked everything else up, there was no coolant flow. Hot on the block side of the pump, cold on the radiator side.

I retraced the whole procedure and eventually just figured that there was something I didn't do properly, so I boldly gave up and left it at the shop last night.

This morning a tech calls me and tells me that "the coolant leak is coming from the water pump".

I told him I just changed the water pump and I'm really interested in why it isn't working, not that it's leaking. He told me the water pump on this car is actually under the timing belt on the passenger side (left-hand drive) and that he didn't know what I had changed.

I had to get back to work so I just told him to ring me up for the diagnostic and I'd pick up the car later.

Where on earth can I find any info about that in the service manual? The only pump even listed in the cooling system is the electrical pump on the transmission side. I hate to think that I did an entire pointless replacement because I didn't use a search function correctly.

Any info in response to this rant is appreciated.

XC60aches
Year and Model: 2015.5 XC60
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
XC60aches

Re: Secondary Water Pump 2015.5 V60 T5

Post by XC60aches » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:57 pm

Assuming you have the 2.0 4cyl turbo engine in the 2015.5. Have no idea what he is talking about. The only water pump I know of is electric located on the front of the engine (Assuming same orientation as xc60)

Looking at one parts catalog this is all I found:

https://www.volvooempartsdirect.com/oem ... wtbDQtZ2Fz

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:43 pm

The water pump will not run by attaching power and ground. It has an integrated power stage (transistor amplifier circuit) and the ECM controls water pump speed via one of the skinny wires and the other skinny wire wire is a feedback for pump speed.

I am assuming you bought a 4 cylinder electric water pump and found one on the front of the block right under intake manifold at the transmission end of the engine.

Anticus
Year and Model: 2015.5 V60 T5
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Anticus

Post by Anticus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:25 pm

XC60aches wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:57 pm
Assuming you have the 2.0 4cyl turbo engine in the 2015.5. Have no idea what he is talking about. The only water pump I know of is electric located on the front of the engine (Assuming same orientation as xc60)

Looking at one parts catalog this is all I found:

https://www.volvooempartsdirect.com/oem ... wtbDQtZ2Fz
That's what I'm thinking too. I'm going to go by and have them show me what's up.