Robert Spinner's wife,Dianne, passed away yesterday. Robert is without a doubt a hero of the Volvo community in North America, having done countless driving tours where he actually stops at different cities to help owners fix their Volvos, for free. Here on MVS he is RSPI.

~ RIP Dianne Spinner ~

Robert is 2000 miles from home and can use assistance in funeral and transport costs back home to Ohio.

Donate to Robert on GoFundMe

Login Register

Bizarre behavior 1998 s90

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

mplishka
Year and Model: 1998 S90

Bizarre behavior 1998 s90

Post by mplishka »

So here's the situation. When the car is being driven over 60 miles an hour and it seems like it's warmer out or the engine has been running for a while, it starts hesitating at high speed.
But, This is the weird thing. I can tell if it's going to hesitate when I start the car. If it takes more than a couple seconds of cranking before the car turns over, I know when I get to the highway it's going to hesitate at high speeds. If it starts normal, within a second or so of turning the key, I won't have a problem. We've had screwy Spring weather but it seems like this problem shows its head when the outdoor temperature is above 60 degrees but that could be coincidemce.
Oh, and none of this happened when I had a loose engine oil cap that was spattering oil. After replacing the cap, this all started. Coincidence?

Any thoughts?

recently replaced the plastic molded air intake boot by the throttle because it had a huge crack in it, I thought that might solve it oh, but it didn't.
thanks!!

manyvolvosmoveme
Year and Model: 98 S70 T5M 98 S90

Post by manyvolvosmoveme »

This is making me think the fuel pump is going out. Turn the key and hold just for a second before engaging the starter. If that gives the pump a moment to prime and it always starts right up but if you don't give it a moment and it turns over for longer than normal, i would think fuel pump. As for when you are driving, same thing. Are you going up a hill, accelerating, did the A/C just kick on?