Login Register

Rear Spring Replacement - Tips

Third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

truenorth
Year and Model: 2011XC70

Rear Spring Replacement - Tips

Post by truenorth »

Our P3 XC70 have over half dozen OEM spring choices, the only way to get the right springs for our Volvo is to supply the vehicle VIN so the dealer/shop can provide the correct springs for the car (which I never understood why). Now, what happens if the springs supplied by the dealer/shop is not correct? Well, we are stuck, until now.

I like to share a few tips I learned the hard way so you can avoid them. The example I described below is for rear springs, but it also applies to front springs.

When replacing broken rear springs, instead of replacing the broken spring first, I suggest it is best to replace the good spring first (this is assuming springs are replaced in pairs), this way you get to compare the height of old spring with the new spring. And in case it doesn’t match, you can address the issue before proceeding any further. Couple years ago, I replaced my broken rear spring first then proceeded to replace the good spring after. By the time I was done I noticed the rear of my car was slightly lower than the front of the car. The dealer re-assured me I had the correct springs for my VIN, The OEM rear springs made my XC70 about ¾ inch lower in the rear than the front.

After driving the car with reverse rake look for sometime, I finally decided to re-install both rear springs this summer with aftermarket springs from Lesjofors, and sure enough, the aftermarket springs are about 1 inch taller than the OEM springs I replaced earlier and it made the car look level again. Now, did the rear OEM springs sag or was Volvo’s database wrong? It is no longer relevant in my case, the only thing that matters is my 2011 3.2 XC70 is now level again. It spears the correct rear spring dimension for MY2011 3.2 XC70 is 14 inches tall and coil thickness of 14 mm (0.55 inches). The oem spring I replaced was 31300140 and it measured just over 13 inches tall.
comparing old oem with new aftermarket springs
comparing old oem with new aftermarket springs
IMG_3090.jpg (447.96 KiB) Viewed 72 times
height of new aftermarket spring
height of new aftermarket spring
IMG_3093.JPG (427.28 KiB) Viewed 72 times
thickness of new aftermarket spring which is the same as oem spring
thickness of new aftermarket spring which is the same as oem spring
IMG_3099.JPG (231.1 KiB) Viewed 72 times
side view of the car with aftermarket spring installed
side view of the car with aftermarket spring installed
IMG_3108.jpg (267.79 KiB) Viewed 72 times