Login Register

2003 XC90 help w REAR SHOCK Replacement Topic is solved

A mid-size luxury crossover SUV, the Volvo XC90 made its debut in 2002 at the Detroit Motor Show. Recognized for its safety, practicality, and comfort, the XC90 is a popular vehicle around the world. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Re: 2003 XC90 help w REAR SHOCK Replacement

Post by oragex »

Won't an adjustable spanner fit in there sideways ?

mknoll10
Year and Model: 2005 XC90 T2.5

Post by mknoll10 »

Roger_850T wrote:Hi Wal,

Yes, according to that plate, you have the Nivomat (expensive) shocks. BTW, they are expensive because they are self leveling. That means that however much you load into the back of your XC90, once you start moving down the road, they use the motion of the vehicle to pump themselves up so that the car remains level, front to back and side to side. Pretty cool, really.

For what it's worth, that number is called the "Chassis Code", and it has details of all the suspension parts that the factory put in your vehicle. Here's your whole number decoded. "p/n" is the Volvo part number for the part that's on your vehicle. Many of them say "XC90" because the table also includes other models. Here's the data:

32 Spring, Front, p/n: 30648139 "XC90 Medium" (there is a light, medium, and heavy)
17 Shock Absorber, Front, p/n 30645515 "XC90"
6 Roll Bar, Front, p/n 8672471, "23mm XC90"
41 Spring, Rear, p/n 30645933, "XC90 Heavy Nivomat"
26 Shock Absorber, Rear, p/n 30683451, "XC90 Nivomat"
9 Anti Roll Bar, Rear, p/n 9465759, "23.5mm XC90"
5 Auxiliary Spring, Front, p/n 30647076, "XC90"
2 Auxiliary Spring, Rear, p/n 8672488, "XC90"

So, as you look for a source to replace your shock, you might try searching on "Volvo 30683451". I hope this helps!

Roger
Hello All! This is my first post and I was wondering if you could help me decode my very slightly different Chassis Code as well: 32AB65426952

32 Spring, Front, p/n: 30648139 "XC90 Medium" (there is a light, medium, and heavy)
AB Shock Absorber, Front, ??
6 Roll Bar, Front, p/n 8672471, "23mm XC90"
54 Spring, Rear, ??
26 Shock Absorber, Rear, p/n 30683451, "XC90 Nivomat"
9 Anti Roll Bar, Rear, p/n 9465759, "23.5mm XC90"
5 Auxiliary Spring, Front, p/n 30647076, "XC90"
2 Auxiliary Spring, Rear, p/n 8672488, "XC90"

My wife drives our XC90 to and from work, 10 miles, mainly 35 MPH stop and go. Two years ago she had a "braking incident" where she felt she lost braking power and was so scared I had to come and switch vehicles with her. Of course the brakes felt OK to me, maybe 80% of normal and changed rotors and pads on the front (the rear brakes/rotors were changed 10,000 miles earlier). Ever since then the brakes felt about the same, a little soft and a bit of extra travel on the pedal but always consistent and always working. Last week she had another scare when she was coming off of the highway and wasn't braking fast enough and ended up stopping hard as she approached the intersection. I've been scratching my head on this one for a few years as I can't find anything wrong other than a somewhat spongy pedal. I check the brakes every time I rotate the tires and bled them a few extra times and finally this last week I could see that the inner face of the rotor on the driver side is only worn on the bottom 2/3 and the top 1/3 is rusted and raised. I assumed the caliper was a bit sticky and opted to replace it with new rotors, stainless wrapped brake lines, and pads. It turns out that both front rotors had the same wear pattern, so I checked the rears and same issue to a lesser extent.

Then I found that the rear driver's side spring had snapped at the bottom (a while ago, judging by the rust) and the spring was still under compression but the intact side is now resting on the broken piece (2/3 of a single coil). No symptoms, no pulling, no alignment issues, no knocks or noises so I guess we've been very lucky with the broken spring.

Anyway, now I will be replacing the spring, I was hoping you could help me find what type to order, I'll probably do the shocks too. But the brakes still have me baffled unless they are somehow related to the bad spring. All that I can think of is that putting only city miles on the brakes and generally gliding to a stop with minimal braking (my wife is very gentle on the brakes) causes the inner pad on all 4 rotors to only engage the bottom of the pad (whereas a hard stop with a heavy load or a trailer would require much more braking power). Any ideas?????

mknoll10

Post by mknoll10 »

Follow up...
Replaced rear shocks/springs and now vehicle pulls hard to the left when I hit a bump with the rear wheels, I'm taking it in to have it checked out as I can't diagnose the source.

For brakes, I replaced all 4 calipers, rotors, pads, and changed brake lines to SS wrapped flex lines, still no fix... I pulled the master cylinder and found that the front chamber (the chamber closest to the front of the vehicle) was dry, no fluid was pumping through. I hand-primed the master cylinder a few times and fluid only came out of the rear chamber, I plugged the rear with my finger and primed the MC again and suddenly the front chamber was working again??? Must have been a blockage in that chamber feeder. Very odd that bleeding the brakes did not send fluid through the front chamber. After putting it all back together I essentially did a bench bleed by loosening the brake line at the Anti-Lock Brake controller for the front and back MC chamber while the pedal was depressed until I saw fluid spurt out. Brakes are now best they've ever felt.

mknoll10

Post by mknoll10 »

Took it in for a 4-wheel alignment, rear wheels were horribly out of whack so I highly recommend following up any spring change with an alignment, now it drives like a champ!!!

Barney Down Under
Year and Model: XC90, 2007

Post by Barney Down Under »

Hello,

To clarify the two different types of Nivomat self levelling rear shocks Code 26 and Code 48:

The Code 26 Part 30683451 is for the standard ride (most models) and

The Code 48 Part 30635776 is the stiffer valved strut used on the R-Design Sport.

Both fit the same just one has the stiffer ride. Funnily enough all cars have the same springs though.

Regards Barney

sd16355
Year and Model: XC90 M66AWD 2005

Post by sd16355 »

Roger_850T wrote: 27 Sep 2016, 09:54 You're looking for the "Product Plate", which is typically attached inside the engine bay, on the left hand side. It looks like this:

Volvo Product Plate.pdf
The "Chassis Code" is in location "H".

Here's mine (with part of the VIN blocked out for privacy):
Volvo Product Plate XC90.jpg

Thus, my chassis code is 33AB65426952, and my rear shocks are "26", or the 30683451 version.

Roger

Hi! Thanks for this post!
I wonder what document it is that you have taken a picture of and posted as a pdf " Volvo Product Plate.pdf" ? Also could you poste a new file with all of the pages related to the VIN plate information?

Thank you once again :)

ggleavitt
Year and Model: 06,08 XC90 V8

Post by ggleavitt »

Might find what you're looking for here (plate on left fender or black label on rear of right side B-pillar)- viewtopic.php?t=96671
"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves"- Bruce Lee
2006 V8 Ocean Race-158k, 2008 V8 Sport-150k