Login Register

Need Help With Drive Cycle(s)

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, including 850 R, 850 T-5R, 850 T-5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

kallekula
Year and Model: S70 2000

Re: Need Help With Drive Cycle(s)

Post by kallekula »

Demolition man I remember was violent and bloody. I don’t like that kind of movies. Thrillers are ok but opening retina scan door looks with another guys eyeball on a pen etc. No thanks.

BMW 540i 2002
S70 Base 2000

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99: V70s S70s,05 V70

Post by abscate »

I did, and I thank you for gross overpayment which will go towards my next Resurrection for charity.

Not a movie to go back for, or even worthy of discussion. I have a savant brother who gets movie quotes exactly right , who is great fun to visit.

We will sell out Laguna place and then have enough money for 2000 S70T5M if we let Dirk find them

Hmmm, do I want to pay someone $60,000 to put cheap furniture in and then choose from ten bidders?
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread

scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R

Post by scot850 »

We took a Canadian 97 850 without the US emissions sticker on it to CA about 6 years ago. Other than getting a letter from Volvo that the emissions were the same as CA the car passed emissions and has done since.

Neil.
2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L - Sold
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - Sold

MrAl
Year and Model: v70, 1998

Post by MrAl »

scot850 wrote: 14 May 2022, 10:27 We took a Canadian 97 850 without the US emissions sticker on it to CA about 6 years ago. Other than getting a letter from Volvo that the emissions were the same as CA the car passed emissions and has done since.

Neil.
Hi,

Oh lucked out ha ha. I usually get mine through too but this time i was not going out much because of covid so i didnt drive much. I looked at my records and found i drove less than 50 miles short trips about 1.2 miles each. So that's why the monitors did not go ready yet. Had a strange problem yesterday though i'll talk about in my next post here in this thread.
I’ve been driving a Volvo long before anyone ever paid me to drive one.
1998 v70 on the road since April 2nd, 2015

MrAl

Post by MrAl »

abscate wrote: 14 May 2022, 05:51 I did, and I thank you for gross overpayment which will go towards my next Resurrection for charity.

Not a movie to go back for, or even worthy of discussion. I have a savant brother who gets movie quotes exactly right , who is great fun to visit.

We will sell out Laguna place and then have enough money for 2000 S70T5M if we let Dirk find them

Hmmm, do I want to pay someone $60,000 to put cheap furniture in and then choose from ten bidders?
Hello again,

No problem i appreciated getting the parts i was getting frustrated frying to find them they shouldnt be that hard to find.

But as to the monitors, i had a neighbor come over this morning to take the car out for a nice long drive down rt 287 and around some back roads and stuff. Him and his wife are two of the nicest people i have ever met in my life. They invited me several times to dinner parties with some really good food and drink and camaraderie. One trip to to CA he even drove me to Newark Airport i thought that was amazing. He said he would pick me up when i came back but i didnt want to put him through that it's a bit of a long way from here and back. But anyway, we made a point to meet up at 6am, drive the car around, then go for breakfast. Well, i went out there at 5:45am to start the car and getting it warmed up and test the OBD2 monitors just before this long trip. It started right up even after not running for 10 days prior. But then after about 10 minutes it started to sound like it was misfiring now and then. It didnt make any sense because now it was fully warmed up.
So ok he comes over at 6am and i get out of the car and into the passenger seat and he takes the wheel, then backs out of the driveway. He then puts it in forward gear and the car stalls out. Couldnt believe it. We tried over and over again to get it started, but to no avail. It was very disheartening to say the least, and the car was sticking partly out into the road. Luckily another neighbor had just pulled up as he got home, so the two neighbors pushed me to the side of the road so i parked there and locked up. The good neighoor still suggested we go to breakfast, and i agreed something good to eat would be a great idea at this point and nothing else we could do, and we both feared if we did get it started it might fail right on rt 287 and that would be even worse. So off to breakfast we did go. About 5 miles away his fav restaurant. The breakfast was good and i started to feel a bit better about the car situation. Ok so we leave the place an stop at a store on th way home, and when we got back home about an hour had passed and he suggested i try to start it again, so i did, and it started right up like nothing ever happened. It was nuts, but i quickly pulled into the driveway and parked in my usual spot.
We then went out to two garages but both were not open yet or no mechanic on Saturday so we came back home and that was it.

So i have to wonder what could have gone wrong, I wonder if that 'new' sensor could have acted up because the car acted just like it die before the new sensor was installed, but the sensor did not trigger a trouble code and nothing pending either so i believed the sensor replacement was good.

Do you think maybe they used a non genuine sensor maybe?
Or any other idea what might have gone wrong?

This was the first time it stalled out and i was not able to get it started again after several tries. It stalled out a long while back right in the middle of an intersection (yikes) but it started right up then i was able to pull down a side street and let the car run for a while and it perked back up.

So i am at a loss for what could have happened. I didnt check anything yet though either maybe i should have looked around in the engine compartment.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions. One person (another neighbor) suggested maybe it needed a tune up.

MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hello again,

Well after that little fiasco 4 days later i go out around 7am to start to the car to bring it to a garage and the battery is dead. Came in got my meter went out measured the voltage it was 0.025 volts, so battery completely dead. The battery is a good make an only about 8 months old.

No reason for this but is it possible the dome lights can stay on if the switch is in a certain position?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99: V70s S70s,05 V70

Post by abscate »

Yes, there is a constant on position. Put that battery on a 6 amp charger for 24 hours and it will be fine
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread

humbertoflores63
Year and Model: 1995, 97, 98

Post by humbertoflores63 »

Let me say this regarding the emission monitors not been in ready statues.

The EPA has a list of different car makers that have paid a fine because that particular model of car the monitors are hard to get into ready statues. They screw up the program!
My 1998 Volvo S70/ V70 are on the list so as long as the MONEY LIGHT/ Check engine is not on. The car will pas emission test w/ missing monitors.

Since the list is made by the EPA, this out to apply to all states.

MrAl

Post by MrAl »

humbertoflores63 wrote: 20 May 2022, 14:57 Let me say this regarding the emission monitors not been in ready statues.

The EPA has a list of different car makers that have paid a fine because that particular model of car the monitors are hard to get into ready statues. They screw up the program!
My 1998 Volvo S70/ V70 are on the list so as long as the MONEY LIGHT/ Check engine is not on. The car will pas emission test w/ missing monitors.

Since the list is made by the EPA, this out to apply to all states.
Hi,

That's very interesting.
Do you have a reference to that info i can look up or call someone to verify my car will be the same in this state?
I ask because i have read the info on the monitors for this state and they say 2 monitors.

Thanks a lot really.

humbertoflores63
Year and Model: 1995, 97, 98

Post by humbertoflores63 »