IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

O2 Sensor, which is bank 1?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

drk5184
Year and Model:
Been thanked: 0
drk5184

O2 Sensor, which is bank 1?

Post by drk5184 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:49 pm

I have a 2001 S40 1.9L Turbo, I've just gotton the fault code for the Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 (P0130 I think). Can you tell me if bank one is the sensor before the cat? I remember reading that this car can be picky about the O2 snesors (as far as manufacturer goes)...can you make recommendations? Should I go ahead and replace both sensors or just replace them as they start throwing faults?

Thanks

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America
MadeInJapan

Post by MadeInJapan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:58 pm

Bank 1 is the one before the CAT...the front one, but before you start throwing parts at this check all of your vacuum hoses. With the car idling, spray some carb cleaner around your hoses and see if your idle goes up. If it does, then you've spotted a leak. A lot of times the 02 sensor reads leaks and throws a code, so just because you've got a Bank-1 code doesn't necessarily mean your sensor is bad. If trying to find leaks doesn't work, also check other areas that would restrict air flow or open up air flow...turbo piping...even a dirty air filter. Hope this helps.

If you do find you have to buy an 02 sensor, what you need is the Bosch brand that is made for your car. www.fcpgroton.com (if not there, then their on-line parts store, www.foreigncarpartsonline.com or www.eeuroparts.com (free shipping on orders of $39 or more) and I've had good luck with http://www.autohausaz.com/ with O2 sensors (they often have them on sale).

Good luck and let us know what you find.
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

Walther
Year and Model: 2000 S70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Walther

Re: O2 Sensor, which is bank 1?

Post by Walther » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:35 pm

Check engine light on: ASE Master Tech - code P1132 indicates ' Front Heated Oxygen Sensor - Signal too high'
Bank 1 front O2 sensor did not switch for a predetermined period of time during oxygen sen monitor self test. Most likely solution replace oxygen sensor
also: ASE code P0014 'Exhaust camshaft position timing Over-Advanced (Bank 1)'

was confused words, ' Front / Before / Bank 1' (especially looking for parts/ordering descriptions)
Reading MadeinJapan Feb 4 2008 answered this question; Thank You
.....will check vacuum hoses with spray carb cleaner before ordering / replacing 02 sensor Front
is only Front-Before heated ? (4 wires) Rear-After non-heated ( 2 wires) ?