IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Volvo 850 Dashboard Mount Repair

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

osman
Year and Model: 2002 c70 hardtop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Algeria
osman

Re: Volvo 850 Dashboard Mount Repair

Post by osman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:48 pm

Two things that need to happen that wont with your "fix". The dashboard is a big, heavy two-piece construction that one, needs to be supported, and two, needs to be affixed to the firewall, not sure how wedging an inner tube (why not a whoopee cushion) into the space between the firewall and dash will both support and connect the dash to the firewall. If you accelerate to fast your whole dashboard might try to fall in your lap if it were not for the steering wheel. The best cheap fix is cardboard shims between the bottoms of the a-pillar and the side of the dash on each side, this will greatly quiet much of the noise and also reduce the amount of movement by the dash. I have fabricated my own mounts and while I would rather do a PCV system replacement than a dash restoration anyday, it is worthwhile to do. Just remember tolerances on the firewall bolts and square nut is very small. If you dont maintain the location of the threaded mounting squares, the bolts that pass through the firewall are nearly impossible to line up.
Brick Life
2003 Saab 9-5 ARC V6 3.0 Turbo 120K SwagWagon
97 850R wagon mileage unknown
2000 C70 Turbo Convertible 110K
99 XC70 AWD LPT 115
98 BMW 328IS 130K M3 Wheels
94 Mercedes 420E 160K
Kiwi bluetooth/Torq Pro app VOL-FCR/VAG-COM USB cable

Hellas T-5
Year and Model: 850 1994
Been thanked: 0
Hellas T-5

Post by Hellas T-5 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:56 am

the supplier of these parts for volvo is ECRIS AB I think,the website is www.gcp.se I searched their website for 850 parts,they don't have anything,but in the past when I ordered an interior part from our importer in the box with the part there was a paper from them with the part's description and volvo part number on it.maybe a message to them would be good

ZionXIX
Year and Model: 1996 850 Turbo S/W
United States of America
ZionXIX

Post by ZionXIX » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:19 am

I apoligise ahead of time if reviving this necro-thread brings back any horrible nightmares regarding dash repairs. I have read through this thread and several others and I have to say you guys have come up with some really clever ways of patching up these dashboards. Its going to be a very long time before I get my chance at channeling my inner MacGyver to fix my own dash problems. I wanting to raise a question. Give it some thought, hear me out. Dont institutionalize me right away, I'll get there on my own soon enough. Has anyone ever thought about taking a junkyard dash and dissecting/dismantling/reverse engineering one in order to form a mold and use that to manufacture a "new" dashboard. I told you it was a batshit crazy nuclear option but nevertheless it intrigues me. Since the plastic is so bad, could one obtain a more modern plastic with all those qualities that we wish our dashboards had and make one? I think some backyard engineer with some time on their hands and a junkyard dashboard (so as not to put their own vehicle out of commission) could devise a way of making the separate components of the dash board and assembling them like a jigsaw puzzle. As I said, it will be many years before I can try repairs myself but I like to plan ahead and start researching ideas early on.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. --> There was a point in time when I considering remaking one out of aluminum using backyard "lost foam" methods and it occurred to me that
in a front end collision would mean certain death as aluminum is a lot tougher than plastic. So lets not do that.

ZionXIX
Year and Model: 1996 850 Turbo S/W
United States of America
ZionXIX

Post by ZionXIX » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:52 pm

More random thoughts on dashboard repair.

I often find myself dwelling on all the broken things that I will have the opportunity to fix when I return to the states permanently.
Today's thoughts focused on the dashboard and it's completely obliterated dashmounts. All 4 mounts have completely broken away from the main dashboard. This occurred as a result of tornado debris crashing through the windshield and smacking the dashboard really well. There are so many great repair ideas on here. I thought I would propose another.

In my situation the mounts have been completely ripped away. There is no hope of ever attaching them again. I noticed that the defrost duct is continuous across the front of the dashboard. I have considered performing a kind of "Laparoscopic" repair.
Remove the defrost vents from each side. Take some of that wonderful pipe strap that comes on 25ft rolls for $5 with holes every 1/2". Attach nuts to the strap at the proper intervals. Then "thread" the pipe strap through the defrost vents and match up some longer bolts to the newly attached nuts.

My first roadblock with this idea is the malleable nature of the pipe strap. It will probably bend and pull through the mounting holes once the bolts are tightened. The alternative to pipe strap involves taking a piece of flatbar and bedning it to match the curvature of the vent. Then inserted just like the pipe strap. I would be concerned about extra stress placed on the plastic veby since only the edges will be making contact with the vent. A work around I was toying with is using some sort of stiff closed cell foam like the kind used on pool noodles to "cushion" the pressure applied to the vent by the flatbar.

Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: Many Volvos
United States of America
Ozark Lee

Post by Ozark Lee » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:52 am

On basket case dashboards anything that you can come up with to hold it to the chassis is perfectly acceptable. If your mounts are completely obliterated then the only other option is to try to scare up a pick-n-pull dash that is less broken than the one you have. what you get at a junk yard will also be broken and it is less a design issue (that is part of it though) than it is an materials issue.

Volvo's obsession with developing "environmentally friendly" plastics resulted in plastic formulations that simply degrade horribly. Time has not been friendly to old Volvos.

The chances of someone marketing a replacement dash is pretty much zero given the complexity of the moldings and low number of potential customers. What we need is a LMC Truck for Volvos (I think you could build an entire 1996 Chevy pickup from scratch by ordering individual parts from LMC) but there are still millions of old pickups on the road and there is only a relative handful of old Volvo 850s.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A 5 speed
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
Previous:
1999 V70XC - Nautic Blue - Totaled while parked.
1999 V70XC - RIP - Wrecked Parts Car.
1998 S70 T5
1996 850 N/A
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe

800artfreed
Year and Model: 98 S70T5; 99 S70GLt
United States of America
800artfreed

Post by 800artfreed » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:29 pm

I have done 3 dashboard repairs on S and V 70 1998 and 1999. The last one on a 1999 I used another technique mentioned in another post. I use woven fibreglass sheet cut to an appropriate size and ABS plastic glue. I did not use PVC/ABS combination glue. Overall i liked this process the best. I cleaned the surface with acetone, applied ABS glue, overlaid the fibreglass piece and applied more ABS. I used the same method to rebuild the supports that hold the rectangular nuts. This included the areas around the mounts as well as the mounts themselves. I had the luxury of using a spare dash pulled from the PnP yard. This allowed the glue to cure and I could go back and strengthen any sections I wanted. So far after 18 months I am happy with the results.

I also used a new technique for refurbishing the foam on the wiring harness. Rather than trying to clean off the sticky dissolved foam I used thin sheets (1/8" thick) of styrofoam package wrapping cut into strips. I then wound them onto the harness in a spiral. Lastly I held it in place using friction tape, NOT electricians tape due to the elevated temperatures in the car. It is what Volvo uses as well. Good luck.
Attachments
dashboard abs repair harness foam 2.jpg
center console harness after repair
dashboard abs repair harness foam 2.jpg (78.46 KiB) Viewed 48 times
dashboard abs repair harness foam.jpg
melted foam on the main part of the dashboard
dashboard abs repair harness foam.jpg (65.51 KiB) Viewed 48 times
dashboard abs repair 3.jpg
ABS with fibreglass repair
dashboard abs repair 3.jpg (35.34 KiB) Viewed 48 times
dashboard abs repair 2.jpg
Another repair using the same technique
dashboard abs repair 2.jpg (39.5 KiB) Viewed 48 times

scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R
Canada
scot850

Post by scot850 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:40 pm

Looks good and solid.

Neil.
2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:13 am

Here’s an idea. If your dash mount points are completely gone , anchor thin stainless wire at strategic points in the dash, feed them through the holes, then tension them under the cowl. You could use the inserted m6 bolts as wire anchors.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary