IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

How fast is a 850 Turbo?

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
csbrianp
Year and Model:
Been thanked: 0
csbrianp

Post by csbrianp » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:17 pm

volvoaddict007 wrote:I was concerned about back pressure when I put a magnaflow muffler on my 850 T ( which I'm loving more and more as it breaks in ! ) the car seams to run faster although I haven't time it.

Then I met this Volvo head through the purchase of his 760 wagon that has a 940 transplant motor and 5-speed tranny. It has 3" exhaust and a Dynomax muffler which he claims dynoed @ 215lbs of torque ( 20 lbs over stock ) and an additional 5hp.

What I CAN verify is that the Konis and diesel springs ( cut 1 coil to take down to stock height ) he put on this car allows it to OUTHANDLE my 850 T.

If I had the money, I would put 3" exhaust on the 850. It certainly will help it run cooler if nothing else which is always beneficial w/ a turbocharger.

va007

What you wrote here about the 760 wagon out handling your 850 Turbo, is true. My wife drives an 98 S90. Nice car, and boy does it handle. Big sway bars produce little lean, and even though my 850s are lowered one does not feel the confidence taking a very high speed corner as you do in the 960/S90. Now, if it only had the twin turbo motor out of the S80.

Brian

[URL=http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 002nw3.jpg]

csbrianp
Year and Model:
csbrianp

Re: 1/4 and new mods

Post by csbrianp » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:13 am

volvoaddict007 wrote:
What is really crazy is my car now gets great gas mileage. Before the tires I averaged 22 mpg around town and 25 on the highway. Now my highway averages 28.5, and around town never below 25. A friend told me my numbers improved because the wheels are turning faster and showing more miles driven. I agree, and that might be worth 1 maybe 1.5, but not 3 mpg more. Right now with 65 miles on this tank I'm averaging 31.8, and of course it's mostly freeway.

Brian
One tire size difference can throw your speedo off 10% which would account for the apparent difference in gas mileage.

I need to edit that last statement which is incorrect. I tire size difference on the first # ( example: 205 )will throw off your speedo about 1.6%. 1 size on the second # will throw it off 3%. Sorry about that... :roll:

Here's a site where you just put in the different tire sizes and it shows you the speedo difference. MIJ had found this :

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

In theory a larger tire should give better gas mileage ( fewer engine revs ) but only if the driver compensates for the extra torque required to turn the larger tires by accelerating easier.

I verify my speedo at those radar speed checkers on trailers. :)

va007
We are not taking one thing into consideration, and that's the amount of torque the engine produces at any given rpm. To better your fuel mileage lower rpms always seemed the way to go if you were driving a car with a lot of torque in the lower rpm range. After installing shorter tires my 850 turbo is turning 3300 rpms @80 mph meaning there is more hp available which uses less gas to because it doesn't have to get to the power band to maintain speed. I drove from Phoenix to Blythe 209 miles and averaged 33 mpg. Of course I was using the cars computer to figure the mileage but that's 7 mpg better than my 850R gets with larger wheels, and 6 mpg better than it got before I changed from the 205/50, to the 205/45 tires. I can see some gains using your above calculations but not this much.

Brian

raint5
Year and Model: 1996 850 t5
Has thanked: 0
raint5

Re: How fast is a 850 Turbo?

Post by raint5 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:28 pm

so everything i have read in this post has been fairly educating, except that everytime i consider a, it seems like everyone on the forum cautions me about bending rods, so im a little sketched out about mbc and 3" exhaust and all that, can someone please tell me how to get hp without detontation?
soon to come, mbc; boost, afr and oil press. gauges

polskamafia mjl
Year and Model: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R
Poland
polskamafia mjl

Post by polskamafia mjl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:44 pm

If you have a T5 then you shouldn;t be worried about bending anything...unless you do something ridiculous. The T5's are very robust turbo engines and can handle a lot of power.
'All my money is gone and I have an old Volvo.' - Bamse's Turbo Underpants

Current: 1995 Volvo 850 T-5R Manual - Bringing it back from the brink of death
Previous: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT - Totaled

raint5
Year and Model: 1996 850 t5
Has thanked: 0
raint5

Post by raint5 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:04 am

so its the glt that tends to bend rods? not the b5234t?
soon to come, mbc; boost, afr and oil press. gauges

hausmeister
Year and Model: 1995 850T5-R
Austria
hausmeister

Post by hausmeister » Sun May 11, 2014 7:57 am

Gonna revive this...

So, I already fixed many issues on my T5-R auto wagon, and vom 0-60 (100kmh) it takes 8 seconds. I'm not unhappy, It feels fast (takes about 3sec to 40(60mkh)), but I guess there is still about 1sec lost somewhere.

So, this what I did already and what brought the car vom 12sec to 8:

replaced complete ignition
replaced the obvious vacuum lines to the turbo and everything else that is easily reachable. (so not all of them)
IPD TCV
New fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, refurbished Injectors.
Fluids replaced (auto flush)
K&N filter
used MAF (cel was on)
Cleaned intake tubing
Put in a boost gauge, turbo pressure seems ok: ~0.7bar, ~0.9bar near redline.(that's like 10 to 13 psi)
(other stuff thats not related to engine)

any idea where I might find that missing second?
Before I think about tuning I want to get it to run right. After that maybe exhaust+new software. It runs much better than when I started, but the idle is still somewhat rough and it takes a couple of turns to start the engine.
I guess it is normal, but I don't get full boost in first gear, ony in 2nd or 3rd and then I am already going faster than 60 mph - so from 0-60 I actually don't get the "R" overboost...
s70 '98 2L na manual Image || 850 T5-R '95 auto Image

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:41 pm

hausmeister wrote:Before I think about tuning I want to get it to run right. After that maybe exhaust+new software.
You're thinking and doing right.
hausmeister wrote:It runs much better than when I started, but the idle is still somewhat rough and it takes a couple of turns to start the engine.
Codes?
hausmeister wrote:I guess it is normal, but I don't get full boost in first gear, ony in 2nd or 3rd and then I am already going faster than 60 mph - so from 0-60 I actually don't get the "R" overboost...
Yep, normal.
hausmeister wrote: any idea where I might find that missing second?
There are so many variables at play... well you're starting at the right spot: Stage 0. I'm going to guess there's something killing a few hp and it's related to the rough idle.
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

hausmeister
Austria
hausmeister

Post by hausmeister » Sun May 11, 2014 2:45 pm

No codes since I fixed the vaccum lines and the MAF :)
I'm going to guess there's something killing a few hp and it's related to the rough idle.
That is also what I am thinking... What should I be looking for? still a vaccum leak somewhere maybe? Today I bypassed the brake booster line because the end connected to the manifold looked like someone chewed it off... so it's possible I'm still missing something here, this was definitely not airtight.
Boost and vacuum was looking fine so I thought I was golden, but maybe not.

Previous owner said he replaced the pcv - not sure I f he did it right. could there be something messed up?

A tip for peolpe doing a stage 0: The refurbished injectors made a huge difference for me.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Spark plugs - brand/model? Did you check the gap? Should be .028".
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

hausmeister
Austria
hausmeister

Post by hausmeister » Mon May 12, 2014 6:39 am

Plugs are new Volvo OEM... didn't check the gaps. Like I said, complete ignition is new. There was a wrong coil installed, worn out distributor and the wires were full of oil.

I think it is in the higher rpm range where some power is missing. When the transmission shifts up I get a small 'boost'...