IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

440 immobiliser fault

Discussion and advice for 440, 460, 480 owners.
1986 - 1997 440
1986 - 1997 460
1986 - 1997 480
richard47
Year and Model: 440 1995
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
richard47

440 immobiliser fault

Post by richard47 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:06 pm

I have just had to get the AA out to my 1995 1.8 Volvo 440 made for the UK market.
I parked it and the remote locking wouldn't lock.
I locked it with the key, immediately realising that I couldn't then deactivate the immobiliser.
The AA spent over an hour and a half on it and at one point it started but when turned off would not start again despite another 40mins fiddling.
I would be grateful for any ideas includining just deactivating the immobiliser, probably my preferred "repair" to avoid a recurrence.
The AA guy said this should be possible but following the instructions on his computor didn't do it.
Grateful for any advice, Richard

billofdurham
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 855, 1995
billofdurham

Re: 440 immobiliser fault

Post by billofdurham » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:41 pm

A few questions:

1. How many remotes do you have?
2. Have you had problems with the remote not working before?
3. Does the remote battery need replacing?
4. Have any of the remote buttons been repeatedly operated whilst out of range of the vehicle?
5. Have you tried programming the remotes?

Assuming the batteries in the remotes are OK you can check the remotes by using the OBD unit. Try this and see if it helps:
440 remote programming.pdf
(244.08 KiB) Downloaded 1450 times
Bill.

Work was good - retirement is better.

1996 850GLT 2.5 20v Estate Manual.
1995 Peugeot Boxer 2.5Tdi Autosleeper.
Previously:
1984 244DL, Manual, Beige.
1987 744GLE, Manual, Green.
1991 960 3.0 24v, Auto, Silver.
1994 940T Wentworth, Auto, Blue.

richard47
richard47

Post by richard47 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:12 am

Dear Bill,
Thank you for getting back to me. The answers to your questions are:

1) I only have one remote control

2) there have been occasions when I've had to press the button two or three times to unlock the doors, but there was not a problem with the immobiliser.

3) I did wonder myself if the batteries needed replacing, I bought the car in December and I don't know when the previous owner last replaced them. However the AA man did have a gadget to test the signal and said that it was OK.

4) I haven't intentionally operated the buttons, it is possible it could have happened in my pocket at sometime, however I unlocked the car with the remote when leaving home and parked up only about 15 minutes later which was when it didn't function.

5) I haven't tried reprogramming the remote, the car is still parked at the supermarket where I had to leave it, the AA said they would either tow me home or tow me to a garage, but by that time the garages were all shut so I left the car where it was and kept the options open for a tow at a later date.

Reading the instructions that you attached, in the last section it repeatedly says,
" check that LED illuminates", please can you tell me which LED is referred to, is it the one on the remote?
Please could you tell me which of the sockets the selector cable is inserted in for normal use, just in case it has been wrongly moved by the AA man.

Also, please could you tell me roughly where the under bonnet unit is located

I would prefer just to completely deactivate the immobiliser if that is an option, the car is old and not in the sort of condition likely to attract a thief! I am not concerned if this also deactivates the remote locking as this is an option I have not had on any previous car, and it just seems like something else to go wrong. Sorry to be a Ludite!
Thanks again for your help, Richard

billofdurham
MVS Moderator
billofdurham

Post by billofdurham » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:50 pm

Point 2 could be caused by a weak battery which could still give a signal strong enough to show OK on the test unit. I prefer to test the battery with a voltmeter.
check that LED illuminates
That is the LED on the diagnostic unit. If it doesn't flash you may not have pressed the button hard enough.

When not in use the selector cable is stored in a clip/hole on the side of the unit. It shouldn't be left in any of the sockets and the lid on the unit should be closed. The unit is on the strut turret.
440 DLC.pdf
(61.1 KiB) Downloaded 1047 times
I am looking at the best and easiest way of bypassing the immobiliser.

Bill.

Previously:

richard47
richard47

Post by richard47 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:05 am

Dear Bill,
Thanks for following up on my problem.
I'll get some new batteries and report when I've tried them.
If you come up with a way of deactivating the immobiliser I will be grateful to hear of it.

Thanks again Richard

billofdurham
MVS Moderator
billofdurham

Post by billofdurham » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:12 pm

Richard,

I have done some more digging and have come across this:
The entire car appears to have been built AROUND the immobiliser unit so it can't be taken out.
If, when you get the new batteries for the fob, it doesnt help, remove the battery, press a remote button for a few seconds and refit the battery. If still no luck hold the remote unlock button down for 10 seconds or so .. failing that the odds are the keyless entry module has gone faulty which is quite expensive to repair. Reading of others who have suffered this problem with the 440 they all agree that a second remote is vital as it gives them two bites at the cherry.

I have also spoken to a Green Flag recovery operator who has had several calls to the Market Place car park in Knaresborough for this problem, although not just Volvos. He and his workmates have worked out that the vehicles were parked within sight of two different companies' mobile phone masts and this caused the signal to scramble! Their first action now on these calls is to tow the vehicle away from the Market Place and, in every case bar one, the vehicles have started up without bother. Are there any mobile masts near the supermarket car park?

Bill.

Previously:

richard47
richard47

Post by richard47 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:47 am

Hi Bill
Your last message came as a bit of a relief. I had been thinking I shouldn't show my face here again.
I'd got the AA to tow the car home on Monday after a neighbour recommended a mobile auto electrician. The battery had been run flat trying to get the car started so I recharged it overnight and before calling the electrician decided to give it one last try. No problems, started first time.
When I read your message this morning I realised straight away that the problem had been telephone masts. I had been parked next to a nine-storey block of flats with, no exaggeration, 20 plus aerials on the roof.
I really appreciate all the time and trouble you put into this and I hope you don't think it was wasted.
I have telephoned the AA Technical Department and given them this information as the patrol men who came to me appeared to have no knowledge of it.
Thank you very much for everything.

Best wishes Richard

billofdurham
MVS Moderator
billofdurham

Post by billofdurham » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:51 pm

Richard,

You are welcome. I am glad that this has been sorted without a lot of expense and believe me, with this result, it is not a waste of time.

The Green Flag operator worked this one out when he towed a non-responsive Mitsubishi from the Market Place to another car park about 1/2 mile away as he didn't have enough room to work. He was surprised and delighted when the car started without anything being done. The next day he was called out to the same car in the same place. Again he towed it to the other car park and it started. A few days later he was chatting to one of the phone company's engineers who told him what the problem was. That is now a no-go area for me.

Bill.

Previously:

murraysr
Year and Model: 1995 440
Great Britain
murraysr

Post by murraysr » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:22 pm

Hi, I have an N reg 440. The battery died (due to a loose battery connection I think) and I kept pressing unlock on the key fob to try to start it; not long afterwards the key fob became completely inoperative. That was 2 weeks ago. I tried a lot of things, sorned it and was about to phone the scrap man...but this is what finally worked:

Take out the "immobiliser" fuse - 7th from the right in the top row of fuses on my car. This allows the key to turn to position 3 and turn the starter, and operates the fuel pump (I could smell the petrol), but the engine won't fire. Disconnecting one or both plugs from the keyless entry module didn't work on my model.

To get the ignition to work, take out the glove box lining. Tucked in behind it, on the right hand side, is a long relay. Pull it off, and connect a wire across the two opposite terminals that are at right angles to each other. This effectively switches the relay on. And the engine started. I don't need the fob any more. But there is now no central locking.

Hope this helps.

ciderman
Year and Model: 440 cd 1996
ciderman

Post by ciderman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:23 am

I WISH I HAD SEEN THIS 3 YEARS AGO, oops, as we scrapped our 440 cd due to this. It was a superb car in every respect but it turned itself off.
I also came across one which had had the key and lock removed and an on off switch to power it up and a button to start. the key was only used to lock the vehicle. We still own 4 , 440s and have not quite finished cutting up the CD.