IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Manual Boost Control opinions wanted

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
deadmerelda
Year and Model: 2003 V70 2.4T
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
deadmerelda

Re: Manual Boost Control opinions wanted

Post by deadmerelda » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:38 pm

I have no idea how best to safely boost my V70 yet. This looks like good reading here. The Conquest/Starion guys I run with like the Greddy Profec-B. Real nice and adjustable with a few presets. Obviously not like an $18 mbc though.

SweedSpeed
Year and Model: s60T 2001
SweedSpeed

Post by SweedSpeed » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:18 am

Wish I had an answer for you. I've been after this one for quite some time. pkplok posted this link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... Controller , on another thread i started on the same subject. The forum is applicable to VW but the process described would seem to work, in theory. The meat of it is the below diagram on how to allow the ECU/solenoid to regulate boost in lower gears while utilizing the manual boost controller in the higher gears. I've reconfigured to match the diagram and it seems to work but have now realized a leak somewhere that won't let me build more than 10 # of boost so I cannot recommend just yet. I'll post again after I have located the leak and replaced the part.

Regards
Geoffrey
mbc_parallel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dtm
Year and Model: 2000 S40 T4
dtm

Post by dtm » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:49 am

Hi SweedSpeed,

The diagram is much different then hooking an MBC in line with the BCS, but still, it will work fine regulating the low end boost, but I think, unless the n75 valve cuts out at a certain rpm you might never be able to achieve the top boost you're looking for, this is, if the n75 valve is always bowling of boost, and you have set the MBC for say 17psi, it will be difficult to get to those 17psi because you are always losing part of it through the n75 valve. Of course I don not know how the n75 works, and what parameters it is following, but it is indeed very interesting. My s40 is currently doing 1.1bar with stock BCS. Just yesterday it was spiking above 1.5 bar (my boost gauge only goes to 1.5bar), so this morning I toned it down, but still I'm going to set the MBC to 1.3bar and hook instead of the BCS.

Regards,

Daniel

SweedSpeed
Year and Model: s60T 2001
SweedSpeed

Post by SweedSpeed » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:52 pm

Hey dtm,

Yea i found the above after I posed the question to you, asking about the inline configuration; this one is totally different. The n75 is either a VW part or something aftermarket that that fella was using. I just borrowed the theory. Good point thought, about there always being some bleed-off present with the t-fitting to the CBV. Though the fella that posted the link to the diagram seemed to be able to achieve much higher boost levels. It is encouraging to think I may not have a leak after all. :D Weekend is booked but when I get a moment, I'll plug the line to the CBV, just to see if I can actually get more than 9lbs of boost.

BTW...Is your S40 a R design? Just wondering if you heard anything about the risk of pushing too much boost, in the lower gears, if it is not.

Take care,
Geoffrey

97_boostedgLt
Year and Model: 850 Glt 1997
97_boostedgLt

Post by 97_boostedgLt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:11 pm

MBC+Properly Tuned ECU= LOTS OF FUN! of course stage zero and other little mods. Its all in the tune of the ecu! my ecu is tuned to only allow 3lbs in 1st and so forth, or once im passed 3000 rpm all hell breaks lose! Have my 850 gLT with the 13g turbo pushing 12 lbs of boost at 242 hp all day long and not a single problem! LOTS OF FUN!

bouldergeek
Year and Model: 1996 855R
bouldergeek

Post by bouldergeek » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:58 pm

I had one of the flEaBay cheapo boost controllers on my old 244ti.

I put it between the positive pressure line off the turbo housing and the wastegate actuator.

I upgraded the in-dash boot/vacuum guage to a calibrated one. I ran the MBC at 12lbs max. More than that and I would detonate on 93 octane at 5300 feet of elevation.

Worked OK for a bit. Blew off the throttle body intake hose a few times.

When my car started throwing codes and behaving badly, I took it to my shop for diagnosis. I also had an IPD adjustable cam pulley, which I experimented with in advancing and retarding timing.

On picking up the car, I was handed back the MBC and informed that it was ghetto and they wouldn't work on diagnosing the car with it installed. Also, they reset the cam timing to 0.

I was a little irritated at this. After the car returned to being a dependable driver (though not as fun), I forgot about the MBC and just drove.

I have to say that these shop mechanics are probably the best Volvo people in Colorado and I respect their experience and opinions greatly. I have come to them with many problems, and like good doctors, they politely ignore my self diagnoses and fix that's wrong. So, I haven't run an MBC since. YMMV.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:09 pm

Hmm. I can see a shop not wanting to work on a car with an MBC because it adds a few more variables to the already complex equation of modern cars, but I can't say the poor-quality-MBC complaint makes sense. MBCs are dead-simple mechanical devices. They either work or don't.

An 850's steering wheel is a hundred times more complex.

... not jumping on you. Just giving my 2¢.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

bouldergeek
Year and Model: 1996 855R
bouldergeek

Post by bouldergeek » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Yeah, I concur.

I think they were just pointing out to me that an MBC is a sub-optimal hack. ANd if can have problematic outcomes if not used judiciously.

Just like becoming root in UNIX, with great power comes great responsibility. You very well can detonate your device.
That was the only MBC story I had to tell. :-)

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Well thanks for sharing. :-) Ain't DIY grand?

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

epukerob
Year and Model: C70 1999, S80 2003
United States of America
epukerob

Post by epukerob » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:16 am

97_boostedgLt wrote:MBC+Properly Tuned ECU= LOTS OF FUN! of course stage zero and other little mods. Its all in the tune of the ecu! my ecu is tuned to only allow 3lbs in 1st and so forth, or once im passed 3000 rpm all hell breaks lose! Have my 850 gLT with the 13g turbo pushing 12 lbs of boost at 242 hp all day long and not a single problem! LOTS OF FUN!
Hey 97, good testimonial although I am still puzzled how the MBC can possibly work with an original TCV in yours or any other scenario. In Geoffrey's diagram above, the N75 essentially bypasses the MBC and renders it useless; if the MBC is set for 14psi and the ECU-controlled N75 opens at 10, then the boost is 10. So... you mentioned you have an ECU tune... that is where you have set the 12psi peak boost level?? How is your MBC configger-ed?