IPD sale Volvo Parts

Loose vinyl on door panels Topic is solved

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.
1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70
ems_kws
Year and Model: 00 V70 Cross Country
United States of America

Re: Loose vinyl on door panels

Post by ems_kws » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:54 pm

ecbsykes wrote:Said what the hell and ordered some. Why not!
So how has it turned out?
What was the total cost in American? When I looked them up it was in Euros I think.

ecbsykes
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC
United States of America

Post by ecbsykes » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:00 pm

ems_kws wrote:
ecbsykes wrote:Said what the hell and ordered some. Why not!
So how has it turned out?
What was the total cost in American? When I looked them up it was in Euros I think.
I'm sorry, they've been sitting ever since I got them over a month ago. I went on two back-to-back two-week trips and have had no time to install. Going to try and tackle it this coming weekend.

It came out to $110.
Ed Sykes
2000 V70XC - Emerald Green - 270,000 miles

v-45magna
Year and Model: 99 S70 GLT
United States of America

Post by v-45magna » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm guessing these screw into the metal of the door so after installing panel pads, you won't be taking your door panels off. Unlesss you ruin the panel pad to get at the screws of course.

rolymon
Year and Model: 1995 940
United States of America

Post by rolymon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:10 pm

K.... I do have a fix.

Remove the door panel- theres a vid on YouTube on how to do this- fairly simple. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayDhkXZj16A

With the panel off, pull off the metal channel that runs the length of the top of the door panel- this channel has clips that retain the felt window weather stripping and, when all is well, pinches the edge of the vinyl to the edge of the molded wood composite inner door panel. This is a patience task, will require careful use of a prying device to separate the channel from the door card by spreading the channel a bit. It can be done- promise.

Once the channel is removed remove the clips that retain the weather strip from the channel. Easiest if you first remove the weather strip from the clips and then remove the clips from the channel.

Take a pair pliers and drill bit which is JUST SLIGHTLY wider than the inside of the channel where it clips over the edge of the composite wood door card. Lay the drill bit in the channel and squeeze it in to the channel with the pliers spreading the channel open just slightly. This will facilitate reinstalling the channel over the edge of the door card once the vinyl has been reapplied.

Use a hair dryer and warm the vinyl to loosen the adhesive and pull it back from the upper edge of the door card where the channel was just removed. Have at least inch of the vinyl pulled back from the edge of the door card and at least as far as the vinyl has already separated from the card in the worse areas.

Work the vinyl by hand pulling stretching it and basically "practice" making it lay flat. The material is pretty compliant so you can stretch it or roll out wrinkles as you need to. There will be enough of the original contact glue still present allowing you to work one area at a time and see what needs stretching.

Get some 3M industrial strength spray contact adhesive. Follow the directions spraying both the surface of wood composite door card and the inside of the vinyl, allow a couple of minutes at least to become fully tacky. Don't hurry- allow the adhesive to become good and tacky. Also, don't buy anything short/cheaper of this specified adhesive. They will not hold the material as you need it to.

The next part is the money shot- it's messy but don't worry- I have a clean up remedy.

Pull and stretch the vinyl all the way to the edge of the door card where the channel was mounted. Take advantage of the "springiness" of the vinyl to manipulate the material flat on the door card surface but be sure to pull it ALL THE WAY to the edge of the door card where the channel clips on. Once set, I used a large deep well socket to as an "iron" to press the material firmly home in the adhesive. I then took a couple of paint stir sticks and clamped them to the edge of the fabric/door card until the adhesive set.

Re-mount the channel on to the edge of the door card pushing the channel over the edge of the vinyl. Be sure to press the channel completely home on the edge of the door card so it provide maximum "pinch" on the edge of the vinyl.

Take a pair of vice grips and pinch the channel tight on to the edge of the door card/edge of vinyl. Be careful not to over pinch it and be care full not to crush the little slots that the clips slide in to that retain the weather stripping. Again, be careful not to over pinch but lots and lots of individual pinches is probably best.

The adhesive is a mess but is easily cleaned up with aerosol brake clean.

Re- assemble from there same as your disassembly.

SonicAdventure
Year and Model: 1998 V70 Base
United States of America

Post by SonicAdventure » Wed May 10, 2017 4:51 pm

I have another idea: how about instead of going the PanelPad route, which has the issues of the screws into the door panel and the upholstery over the screw holes (this making partial destruction of the PanelPads if they have to be removed to remove the door panel as mentioned above), why not fashion a stylistic T shaped bracket which would nest itself into the rear curve of the rear part of the armrest area (the most likely area to peel) and run down the panel and mitre into the plastic trim around the door release handle. Use small capped screws which could be removed. While some of the material will "blouse" on either side of the long part of the "T" upright, this would in essence keep the material taut and flat while at the same time be removeable when (there is no "if"...on a 20+ year old car the door panel will need to come off again to make inevitable repairs) the door panel has to be removed. I'll do a sketch. For the grey interiors something made from grey schedule 40 PVC underground wiring conduit would be a good natural color shade. Sections of a pipe could be ripped, flattened and fashioned to the desired contours.

wolvengang42
Year and Model: Volvo V70 2000
Netherlands

Post by wolvengang42 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:16 am

Sorry guys for being off radar too long….

A Panelpads kit is meant to be a PERMANENT solution to loosening vinyl on the door panels of our beloved V70, S70, and XC Classic, but of course you can still take off your door panels for sure! All door panels REMAIN FREE to be released from their actual doors.

If a Panelpads kit is mounted in your Classic, but one of the door panels on the front doesn't come off, then you probably tightened screw #8 slightly out of position. There is an easy workaround to this though, just go to: wolvengang.com/panelpads-workaround.

By the way, recently we were able to take distribution matters in our own hands, so we could lower our Panelpads market price significantly ;-)....

wolvengang42
Year and Model: Volvo V70 2000
Netherlands

Post by wolvengang42 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:52 am

Hello all Classic owners overseas! Just wanted to let you know that the Wolvengang network somewhat abruptly ceased to exist since January the 1st of 2018. Since I am personally the initiator of the door panel repair product 'Panelpds' I decided to take the product with me and continue to offer of what is left of the Panelpads stock supply. So the Panelpads product can still be bought on ronaldjan.com/shop. And even better, It looks like I have a similar solution for the puckering vinyl on the door panels of the Volvo 940/960/V90 series too....!

ronaldjandotcom
Year and Model: 2000 V70 Classic
Netherlands

Post by ronaldjandotcom » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:01 am

Having said so, the Wolvengang username on this platform will be deleted, but I am glad to take over with the username ronaldjandotcom. Here I personally continue to let you know if there is any door panel issue news concerning the Volvo V70 Classic. Questions? I will answer try to them as soon as I can. High five (cilindres :-)

ecbsykes
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC
United States of America

Post by ecbsykes » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Ah, that sucks. Too bad! I finally got to installing my PanelPads that i had for almost a year. They look great and work well! (Except for the driver's door which I messed up a bit...)
Ed Sykes
2000 V70XC - Emerald Green - 270,000 miles

Xaver
Year and Model: V70 1999
Germany

Post by Xaver » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Are there any pics?

I´m also interested in panelpads but having a logo on them is a no go for me.