IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Noisy blend door motor

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

pt109
Year and Model: 2004 S60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
pt109

Noisy blend door motor

Post by pt109 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:38 am

First post and I have to say this is a great forum (I just successfully replaced my alarm module from instructions found here - had to have the mechanic reset the car computer though).

Anyway, I am having a strange noise come from the center of the climate control. Took the car to the mechanics and they said the car has a noisy blend door motor and wants $400 to replace. Car is a 2004 S60.

I've done some searching and see there are blend door acuators (maybe 4 of them), blend doors, but no blend door motors.

Could someone explain a little more on this motor? Where is it, what does it control, difficulty of removal (any pitfalls), and where to get a new one?

Thanks in advance.

OEMVolvoParts
Year and Model: ALL
OEMVolvoParts

Re: Noisy blend door motor

Post by OEMVolvoParts » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:14 am

The term motor and actuator are pretty much the same here. It just moves an arm back and forth that controls the blending of hot and cold air. In the parts catalog they call it a "motor". The arm that attaches the motor to the air distributor box is a pretty common problem, that might be what is making the noise. It's best to get it apart and see for sure.

There is a left and a right side temperature motor. The left front actuator arm is the common one that breaks, it is pn 9171544, the motor itself on the left side is 31101058. We stock both.

If the sound is coming more from the drivers side then you have to remove the kick panel below the steering wheel to get access to the temperature control motor. From there you can see the arm that attaches to the box. Let's hope it is just the arm.

pt109
pt109

Post by pt109 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:23 am

Thanks for the quick reply and explanation.

I will look at the driver's side this weekend to see if that is the culprit.

pt109
pt109

Post by pt109 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Mr. MyVolvoPartsOnline,
I took the kick panel off and this is what I saw:

pt109
pt109

Post by pt109 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Please disregard previous post - still learning.

Mr. MyVolvoPartsOnline,

Here is a picture of what I believe are the actuator arms on the drivers side looking up with the kick panel removed. These arms look to have a vertical up and down movement. Please let me know if I am looking at the wrong part:
actuator arms.jpg
Here is a pic of my automatic climate control:
climate control.jpg
I am hearing the 'grating' sound when I am manual switching the climate control buttons from the upper, to the middle, to the lower settings, BUT the actuator arms are not moving.

Can you provide any further guidance? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thirdstick
Year and Model: 2003 S60 2.4
thirdstick

Post by thirdstick » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:25 pm

This is my first post and I'm having a similar issue. Fan goes strong and air is properly cool, but very little finds its way out of the vents. When manually switching positions from upper, middle, and lower, I hear a slight actuator sound of confusion. Is it the actuator or a sensor? Blend door or air flap actuator? is there a difference? Any tips on how to remove? Pics?

If it's any relevance, my DIM recently died and I reflowed it back to functional status. My air direction issue occurred around the time the DIM started exhibiting symptoms of impending doom.

icetab
Year and Model: 2003 V70
United States of America
icetab

Post by icetab » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:45 am

thirdstick. Did you resolve this issue? My V70 is having a similar issue. There's cold are but very little is moving through the vents.

packetfire
Year and Model: 2004 v70 2.4
United States of America
packetfire

Post by packetfire » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:23 am

Here is a diagram showing the motors and linkages, and VIDA instructions for testing the motors. Note well that the motors may be fine, and the linkage may be the problem. Plastic parts can break. Best to video each in motion, and yell at the video camera the changed settings to which the motors and linkages should be responding, and then watch the video to see what looks like a problem.

On the driver's side, there is only the motor that controls the blend door for the driver (7 in diagram).

On the passenger side, there is the motor that controls the blend door for the passenger (8), and two other motors, one that controls the distribution of the air (windshield/in-your-face/floor) and another than controls the internal movement of the air to "through the heater core" or "through the A/C". I forget which is specifically which, but they are the complex linkage (3) and the two motors (6) and (9).
climate_door_motors.jpg
VIDA has a test mode that can exercise and (somehow) calibrate the motors. I am pasting a notice from Volvo that documents the use of the feature:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

A/C - Vent Temperature Cycles From Hot to Cold

NO: 87-54
DATE: 11-30-2005
MODEL: S60, S80, V70, XC70, XC90
MY: MY05 MY06
SUBJECT: Temperature Coming Out of the Climate Vents may Start to Cycle from Max Hot Back to Full Cold When Max Hot is Requested.
REFERENCE: VIDA
This Tech-net note supersedes the previous 87-54 dated 11-02-2005. Please update your files.
DESCRIPTION:
If the temperature ***** are turned to max hot, the temperature coming out of the climate vents may start to cycle from max hot back to full cold with a period of 4-15 seconds. No Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are stored.
The number of steps on a temperature Damper Motor Module (DMM) may have increased from factory settings, causing the affected DMM to set a "not calibrated" flag to the Climate Control Module (CCM). This causes the climate system to self-calibrate over and over again resulting in the cycling temperature from the vents.
Click the image to open in full size.
VEHICLES AFFECTED:
SERVICE METHOD:
The above mentioned symptom could be solved by a recalibration of the CCM.
For affected vehicles that are still in retailer stock, upgrade the cars during CPS or prior to customer delivery following the service method in VIDA:
1. Erase CCM DTCs.
2. Perform calibration of the CCM as follows:
- Select the "Diagnostics" tab followed by the "Vehicle communication" tab.
- Click the CCM box.
- Select the "Advanced" tab.
- Click "Checking LIN bus".
- Click "No" if no Damper Motor Module (DMM) has been replaced.
- Read and follow the instructions (to the right) carefully and click the VCT2000 symbol.
- Click the "Start" button (left on screen tool).
- Wait until status "Completed" is shown on the screen tool.
- Regardless of DTCs or no DTCs it is now OK to click the "Hide" button to continue.
- Click the "Continue" button to proceed.

3. Perform functional check of the climate system as follows:
- Start engine.
- Turn FAN speed to MAX.
- Select DEMIST and check airflow to windscreen.
- Select FLOOR and check airflow to floor.
- Select VENT and check airflow to dashboard vents.
- Turn to MAX COLD and check cold air from dashboard vents left and right.
- Turn to MAX HOT and check hot air from dashboard vents left and right.
- Turn temperature and fan speed controls to midrange.
- Select Recirculation and check difference in airflow noise in climate system.
- Switch off Recirculation and check difference in airflow noise in climate system.

4. Use VIDA to read CCM DTCs.
5. If CCM DTCs are present repeat step 1 to 4. If CCM DTCs are persistent after the third attempt, perform fault tracing according to VIDA.
VIDA_heat_motors1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1982 240DL: Drove it 32 years and 1.5 million miles (sold, even still had mint leather!)
2001 v70 2.4T: The most expensive $1500 car I ever bought ("Volvo Turbo" - what an oxymoron!) (sold)
2004 v70: Current, far less fatally-flawed v70

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:04 am

icetab wrote:thirdstick. Did you resolve this issue? My V70 is having a similar issue. There's cold are but very little is moving through the vents.

do the a/c piping inside the engine bay look frozen?

vcsuri
Year and Model: 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T
United States of America
vcsuri

Post by vcsuri » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:28 pm

Has anyone tried the calibration described in this bulletin? Have you had any success?