IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Volvo 850 ABS Pump Motor

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

jmmxc
Year and Model: Volvo 850, 1996
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
jmmxc

Re: Volvo 850 ABS Pump Motor

Post by jmmxc » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi BEJinFbk and all...
I am happy to report to you that the ABS power cable problem is fixed. Another ABS succesful repair of a different variation...
I could not find the removal tool you suggested anywhere to pull the connectors off the plastic plug. The pins seem to be molded in a plastic insert, which would need to come out in one piece. It looks like I would need to separate them.
(a) So, I cut the wires about 3/4 of inch away from the plug. So I can use new sleeve for part of the cable going to the pump.
(b) I removed all insulation debris along the stranded wires all the way up to inside the pump cover. I used a small dentist mirror and a powerfull flashlight to peek inside the "hump" along the pump cover, and removed some broken pieces of insulation with a small pick.
(c) Slipped each stranded wire cable into a sleeve tubing all the way up inside the pump cover, positive and negative cable, one at a time. I approximated the required length with a dry run first to see how long I would need. And I cut the sleeve and exposed less than 1/4" at end of the cable for soldering connection later.
(d) Before I soldered the cable with their new jacket with the plug piece, I used a larger sleeve that will need to cover the exposed cable piece cut from the connector as well as the long sleeve. I was lucky to try an old spark plug wire sleeve that worked!
(e) I cut about 1.5" from the spark plug sleeve and use that to cover the cable piece from the plug and to overlap the solder joints along the cable.
So I slid the short jacket over the long one, performed the solder connection. And sliding it back to cover the exposed pieces of cable from the plug.
(f) Finally I used a strong weather resistance electrical tape to hold the area very tight.
The final picture gives you an idea...not that difficult. I think a sleeve from a Cat 5 cable would probably be better to go over the first sleeve.

The ABS warning lights are now history. (It's been five years I wanted to fix this...)

By the way since I was in the area I decided to open and take a look at the ABS module pcb itself with a powerful microscope. The unit solder joints are still in good shape. It is sealed and put back together and everything is working.

Thanks for all your suggestions and recommendations.
jmmxc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

B234R
Year and Model: 850 1996
Spain
B234R

Post by B234R » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Hello everybody,

does anyone know if a V70 T5 (with ABS and TRACS) MY97 ABS pump motor is compatible with a 850 R MY96? My ABS module part number is 9162675, the original 850 pump is 9140775 and the V70 pump 9157654B.

I´m getting a bit desperated with my persistent ABS troubles. VOL-VCR diagnostic gives a "ABS-443 Pump motor electrical or mechanical fault" code. The ABS module was repaired, wheel sensors cleaned. The pump motor wires were in bad shape, I covered them with electrical tape but there was the bit where the wires get under the plastic round cover.

I have a V70 pump, it seems very similar to the 850´s except the wires are a lot better protected.

To check the wires under the round cover I would have to remove the pump. I´m not too keen to remove the plug to resleeve the wires because it seems a bit fragile.

If I get the pump out, would I have to bleed the brakes? First I would empty the reservoir.

Any help would be very welcomed.

sidharrell
Year and Model: 850 96
sidharrell

Post by sidharrell » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:32 am

I just posted how to get the abs motor out in response to another thread: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... 81#p330481

sidharrell
Year and Model: 850 96
sidharrell

Post by sidharrell » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:34 am

No fluid came out when I took the pump off, so I don't think you need to empty the reservoir or bleed the brakes afterword.