IPD sale Volvo Parts

Home Made Short Ram Intake

How to go faster, stop quicker, and turn harder. Chips, exhaust, larger turbos, bigger/slotted/drilled rotors, high performance brake pads, manual boost controllers, performance shocks/struts/springs, airbox mods and more! Also discussion on HID and Xenon lights, aftermarket foglights and other exterior lighting.
matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America

Re: Home Made Short Ram Intake

Post by matthew1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Please, let's stay civil. Sarcasm doesn't play well here... we're generally straight up, direct in our posts. It's possible to do sarcasm -- given liberal use of smileys -- but I don't sugest it. Sorry, we're boring.

This forum is dry for a reason: it's less fun than the witty, sometimes snide, humorous banter you can find elsewhere on the 'Net, but it works.

Disagreements are fine... in fact, they're encouraged because it leads to scrutiny of our ideas and our modifications. Just don't let negatives pollute the give and take, please.

I'll go back through these last 10 or so posts and surgically remove non-topical remarks/sentences when I have time.
Help keep MVS on the web -> buy from sponsors.
Also -> Amazon link
Like the high quality content? Thank a moderator.
Help MVS and be an MVS Contributor.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

tjts1
Year and Model: 96 855 NA 5 speed

Post by tjts1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:02 am

For anybody interested, this is some interesting reading on forward facing intakes. Parts 1-5.
http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_0629/article.html
And here for NA cars.
http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_107824/article.html
So yes, you can do better than the stock intake. I'm just not convinced that involves replacing the stock airbox with a cone filter.
Ambitious but rubbish

Alecw81
Year and Model: S70 GLT 1998

Post by Alecw81 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Another thought, put the battery where the stock air box is, and make a DIY cold air intake.

I could see the height of the battery being an issue, but there's no reason you couldn't use a smaller battery. I knew DSM guys who switched to motorcycle batteries to accommodate mods and reduce weight by a good bit.

kcjones
Year and Model: 1997 855 GLT 200k :)

Post by kcjones » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:57 pm

I am formerly known as: cjharris1001

I owe Matt, George, and everyone on MVS an apology. Not simply because I was booted from the forums, and not just because I want to remain on the site, but because I violated the forum rules and acted like an @$$ to george. I am sorry.

I am really passionate about volvo and I look to MVS first for repair/tune info. This topic intrigues me greatly and I have been pondering intake solutions for about 6 months now. As for my sarcasm, it's become a problem. I ensure that it will remain away from the forums :oops:

Tjts1: that article is by far one of the best I've seen! Everyone needs to read it. Incredibly useful information.

diggler30
Year and Model: 1997 850R
United States of America

Post by diggler30 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:05 pm

I did this over the weekend. Took about 3 hours which isn't bad considering I have never made anything for a car before. I usually just buy my upgrades. But I am good with tools and love working on my car so why not.

I bought a sheet of 26 gauge steel ($22) and some 1/2' pipe insulation ($6 i think) and went to town. I did make a cardboard template first which did help a lot. Thank you to the original poster about that tip. It was pretty straight forward except for trying to cut the holes for the inlet pipe and MAF. That was tough and my holes show it. Luckily the filter covers one. Don't get me wrong, the holes are pretty good but they are jagged!

I feel now that I have done this I will go back with better tools and more time and make a much nicer one. The only difference between mine and the posters is that I ran the steel all the way across the back of the battery to the fender to really seal it all off.

As for performance, not really noticeable but that was to be expected. I think it feels a little better in the top end but that could just be me hoping that it does. After a few hundred miles though, I am averaging 3 mpg better. We will see in the long run if that holds up but its pretty good considering the amount of full throttle stabs over the weekend. As for sound (the only real reason to do this I guess) it is pretty good. Not as noticeable as I had hoped but that could just be because of all of my stereo ground whine that I cant get rid of. I do notice the sound of the excess pressure being fed back into the system and a little more turbo while but I think once I can figure out my grounding issues I will be more pleased with this change.

One thing to note is that the TCV is mounted to the stock air box. I don't remember seeing that in the original post. I am sure its fine hanging there but I think I will double stick tape it to the back of the intake shield to be safe. It is held on by two T-25 screws.

Now I just need to figure out what to do next...
1997 854R
IPD Intake
Ported/Polished Intake Manifold w/3" Throttle Body
Old IPD Strut Brace
ARD Stage 2 Tune
IPD/TME Exhaust
IPD/Koni Suspension
Manual Swap

boosted70
Year and Model: 1998 S70 GLT
United States of America

Post by boosted70 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:37 am

georgeleedom wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:40 pm
I toyed with the idea of trying the dryer hose, funnel system that Matt posted, but the clearance getting up past the battery is tight in my S70. And once you remove the weather guard from the stock intake, which is a pretty straight shot, I don't know if it would make all that much difference.

I did want to put on a performance air intake. The drop-in K&N filter that fits in the stock air box is a reasonable option, but I wanted the look and especially the sound of the SRI for my mid-life crisis machine. The IPD and Eurosport kits run around $150. I bought a K&N filter and fashioned the box out of a $13 piece of aluminum and some 1/2" pipe insulation. You can judge from the photos, but I think it came out pretty nice for $60. I haven't had the chance to measure any mpg increase, but that sound I wanted is definitely there.

I recommend making a cardboard template. I Wasted a lot of time fitting, cutting, re-fitting, re-cutting. Although time fiddling with my Volvo is never really wasted.

Hey man,

What's the part number for the filter that slides over the stock intake tube ? Or I guess what size flange?

Thank you

jantt
Year and Model: C70 2000
Denmark

Post by jantt » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:58 pm

I have done it this way with a cone filter and direct intake from the front
Attachments
file.jpg
file.jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 222 times

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America

Post by matthew1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:50 pm

^ Clean
Help keep MVS on the web -> buy from sponsors.
Also -> Amazon link
Like the high quality content? Thank a moderator.
Help MVS and be an MVS Contributor.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

ndphotonl
Year and Model: S80 2.4T Wasa
Netherlands

Post by ndphotonl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:29 am

My 2 cents for using an open filter on our engines. I bought one with a massive velocity stack which aids in increasing the incoming air speed.

ImageVolvo S80 2.4T Fitting a Velocity Stack Open Cone Filter by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

ImageVolvo S80 2.4T Fitting a Velocity Stack Open Cone Filter by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

And how it looked in the engine bay without a heat shield.

I removed it again. Even though the compressor whine and blowoff sounds are addictive, I still think the original air box is better. I made a small modification to the intake, by removing the plastic flap and using a piece of bent aluminium for direct air intake.

ImageVolvo S80 2.4T Air Intake Mod by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

And to be honest, I think you can better spend your money on an uprated silicone tip (turbo intake pipe)

ImageVolvo S80 2.4T OEM vs Do88 Turbo Intake Pipe by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

ImageVolvo S80 2.4T OEM vs Do88 Turbo Intake Pipe by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

Yes its huge :D

ImageVolvo S80 2.4T Do88 Turbo Intake pipe by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr
Volvo S80 2.4T Wasa Limited Edition
Blog / FlickR / YouTube channel