IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Gear Shift Cosmetic Issues

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

kidink
Year and Model: 1996 850
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
kidink

Gear Shift Cosmetic Issues

Post by kidink » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:16 pm

Hello there! I've searched the Internet and haven't found an answer, so I thought I'd ask my fellow Volvo drivers. I have a 1996 850 wagon with a manual transmission. Mechanically it's fine, but the plastic piece that holds the gear shift boot down to the center console has broken and now the boot isn't attached to the console (see attached photo). I've tried to find only this plastic piece or even a whole new leather boot with that plastic piece attached, but have been unsuccessful. Even without that I don't know how to take the gear shift apart without breaking it. I've tried to find a service manual with blow up drawings that might help me get the gear shift apart, but can only find Haynes or Chilton's, and not the actual parts manual I want.

Can anyone direct me toward a parts manual or directions for how to take apart my gear shift? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ozark Lee
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: Many Volvos
United States of America
Ozark Lee

Re: Gear Shift Cosmetic Issues

Post by Ozark Lee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:30 pm

If no one else beats me to it I will be off of dialup and I will have VADIS available late tommorow when I go back to the city. I will be happy look up the part number for you.

Feel free to bump if I don't reply so as to jog my memory.

...Lee
'94 850 N/A 5 speed
'96 Platinum Edition Turbo
Previous:
1999 V70XC - Nautic Blue - Totaled while parked.
1999 V70XC - RIP - Wrecked Parts Car.
1998 S70 T5
1996 850 N/A
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe

kidink
kidink

Post by kidink » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:43 am

At long last... success! I had hoped that I could replace the boot and reuse the shift knob, but after I finally broke down and went to a Volvo dealership, I decided that I should just order a new shift knob too since I would have to destroy the old one to get it off (it's held on because it locks into a groove on the metal gear shift, so it's not removeable or reuseable). I ordered part 6801666-6 (Boot or gaiter) for $56 and 6814305-6 (Gear shift knob) for $54. It took just one day for the parts to arrive. The parts people were also kind enough to print out the VADIS instructions for me, which I'll include here and supplement with my own details.

1. Cut off the outer casing on the knob with a knife. (I used a utility knife)
2. Remove inner sleeve using pincers so the locking groove is exposed. (I couldn't find any pincers so I used a mini hacksaw)
Volvo gearshift.JPG
You can see I made quite a mess of it....
3. Remove knob. (This took a lot of pulling, but it finally popped loose)
Volvo gearshift 2.JPG
4. Remove cover under parking brake lever. (I skipped this step since my problem was that the snap fastener faceplate was broken)
5. Detach gear shift gaiter from center console by pressing on rear of the gaiter on the snap fasteners from below via the hole under the parking brake.
6. Pull off gaiter from the gear shift. (I used the mini hacksaw and just sawed off the plastic top of the gaiter since I didn't want to fight through the two locking grooves)
Volvo gearshift 4.JPG
7. Guide lug on the gaiter ring must align with the guide groove on the shift. Press ring down until it meets the lower locking groove. (I used a hammer and two sockets to get it onto the shift and past the two locking grooves)
Volvo gearshift 5.JPG
8. Secure the gear shift lever gaiter on the center console by first pressing on the catches at the front edge, then the clips on the sides and rear edge.
9. Install cover under parking brake lever.
10. Install gear shift knob. Guide lug on gear shift knob is aligned on the guide groove on the gear shift lever and pressed down to the locking groove.
Volvo gearshift 7.JPG
Success!!! Hope this helps other Volvo drivers out here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toddv850glt
Year and Model: '95 850 GLT
toddv850glt

Post by toddv850glt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:23 pm

So there is no way to remove the shift handle? well I wanted to take out the center councel to clean it and fix some of the broken tabs. Is there a way to take the whole shift lever off boot center councel and all?
'95 Volvo 850 Glt N/A 5spd.
'96 Pontiac Grand Am

kidink
kidink

Post by kidink » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Since the gear shift knob locks onto the gear shift internally, I can't think of any way to get it off without destroying it. If it had some set screws that would be different. Luckily the part is easy to get from a Volvo dealership (the places I found online sold only the top piece that shows the shift pattern and not the whole knob that looks original).

I think what you're thinking is can you replace the boot by taking apart the center console--basically leave the shift knob in place and replace the boot from the bottom? I bet it could be done, but I think it might be even more labor intensive and you'd risk messing up the mechanics of the shifter instead of just the replacement parts you can get and replace easier. I don't know how to get the center console off, but I've posted a blowup drawing that shows some of the parts in case that helps. Before I bought the replacement boot and knob I tried to find a way to just replace the bottom piece of the boot where the teeth are. I finally decided it would be easier to get a new part. But I'm sure you can Macgyver something if you're determined.

Go to http://www.volvowholesaleparts.com/part ... atalogid=0 to see the whole diagram.

Kileman
Year and Model: 1994 850 t5
Finland
Kileman

Post by Kileman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Im around 10 years late, but yes, you CAN remove gear knob without breaking it :)

I removed mine by wrapping thin sheet metal piece around gear stick and tapping it under the lock clip. After few times doing this it got loose enought that I can pull it out by hand

For anyone looking for this info
1994 850 t5 sedan
Manual gearbox for life

Cookeh
Year and Model: 1995 Volvo 850 T5
Wales
Cookeh

Post by Cookeh » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:20 am

Can also replace the plastic frame that's attached to the boot. It just clips in at the base of the centre console; lift the console and depress the clips. You can then remove the staples and the plastic frame will be released. Glue and staple in a new plastic frame, and you're done.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Gear Shift Cosmetic Issues 9445851

Post by abscate » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:38 am

Life is wonderful for those who count to 5, for the rest, it’s just a prundle

Lee...did you ever get off dialup?

:lol:
If no one else beats me to it I will be off of dialup
Added part number to thread title, part n7mber is for base trim shift knob