IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Alternator Replaced now "El Power System"

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

J5T
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
J5T

Re: Alternator Replaced now "El Power System"

Post by J5T » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:35 pm

I have gotten the Autozone replacement alternator and had to have it replace after about 120k miles. Was not a problem to get a new one however, Autozone could not test it. I could not fine any auto store that could test this type alternator.

So Captainbill I would say that you need to have the alternator tested but I cannot give you any place to test it. Glück.
Macht's Gut!

captainbill
Year and Model: XC90 2005
captainbill

Post by captainbill » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:54 pm

I ended up having the original alternator rebuilt and in over two years have had no more problem

Matt PB
Year and Model: 2008 S40 1.8F
Sweden
Matt PB

Post by Matt PB » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:23 pm

I had a similar issue. Alternator was failing and battery getting run down. I replaced the alternator with a brand new stock alternator and also put in a brand new 62 amp battery. The car runs fine with no problems regarding charging and battery power, although the battery warning light comes on after almost exactly two minutes of driving.
There is no verifiable problem. Called my local Swedish Volvo dealership and was told that disconnecting the batteries negative pole for more than ten minutes may remedy the computer warnings. Alas this didn't work in my case.
Next suggestion by the Volvo dealership was to come by their drop in service and have the vehicle computer checked and reset. No idea what they might charge for that, but it should be a job done in minutes.
Huge hassle replacing the alternator, and even the battery is bizarrely mounted in the S40. After all the work and the battery and charging working correctly; leaves me a tad pissed off why I should need to go and have the vehicle computer reset...

I believe several people had this problem and have tried multiple alternator and batteries, checking the alternator voltage controllers and diods etc. If the battery and charing is ok, there is most lightly no problem. Just a false positive warning from the vehicle computer...

Grrrrr....

Matt PB
Sweden
Matt PB

Post by Matt PB » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Note: I have also been told to make a complaint about my new stock alternator as it is not a "Volvo original part". This is simply BS as the part is specifically made for Volvo (and most probably from the same manufacturer) as makes the Volvo original parts with the Volvo brand on them.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if Volvo embedded computer failures for DIY:s
I will post an update here when my problem is solved...

Still Grrrrr....

Matt PB
Sweden
Matt PB

Post by Matt PB » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Specifics: Alternator replaced with new stock alternator. Battery replaced with new 62amp battery (checked).
"Elsystem: Service erfordras snarast" -> "Power system service required ASAP"...
Red triangle and battery/charging warning light come on (for no apparent reason)...

Again: Update will be posted when I find a solution....
Still Grrrr....

/ Matt

nepher
Year and Model: 2006
United States of America
nepher

Post by nepher » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:14 am

What was the solution? I am having the same problem

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:22 am

Go trough your electrical system and check all power cables for corrosion at the terminal boxes
With a good alternator and battery ,it’s down to wiring
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:49 am

If a 2005 and later has that message it can be the voltage regulator on a "new" unit. In 2005 the alternators were networked (LIN, not CAN) through that small gauge wire on alternator. A voltage regulator that does not communicate on that wire will cause that message even though it charges fine. The correct regulator will respond to CEM or ECM messaging to control target charging voltage.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:08 am

For future reference, I might add to the above, I used a 2005up smart regulator on my 2003 which comes with the older 'non-smart' regulators. The result is the alternator was only charging to 13.5v at all time, consequently the battery wasn't being charged correctly (and ultimately failed). It wasn't giving any message or light, but it wasn't charging correctly. The smart and the non-smart regulators look exactly the same, but have different part number and must not be interchanged. As for the alternator body, it's the same on all years and can be swapped. The replacement regulator units available from Bosch work for all ampers. Just make sure to use the correct regulator for the model year of the car.