Login Register

Official Engine Stalling Thread

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, including 850 R, 850 T-5R, 850 T-5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

This topic is in the MVS Volvo Repair Database » Secondary Air Injection System Diagram

Post by Guest »

Day 4, no problems with morning ride in. Still unusually cool outside however and not expected to warm to normal temps (65 degrees F.+)until next week.

JLG850GLT

Post by JLG850GLT »

"ME TOO!!" I Just bought a used '93 850 GLT used from a mechanic. The milage is broken so i know it has WELL-OVER 199kmiles on it...Well my car kept stalling also..IT would happen at the most 1 to 2 times a week....So i talked to a man from volvo and he told me it could be a sensor also..I took it back to the previous owner and he worked on it. Since then it has not died out, but that's not to say that it won't again!...It's rediculous!!...I also noticed too that everytime i had the AC on that it would die..And when it does die,it takes a good 3 to 4 starts to ignite again...It's very dangerous, and i mean...it could be just that all of our cars are getting old, but in my opinion, Volvo is one of the best cars ever!And i mean, i never hear of any of their 1980 models die out too often...there's OBVIOUSLY something wrong because Volvo is too good a company to have SUCH A DANGEROUS problem happen to their cars!

Also...anybody have any clues as to how i can find my radio code, after the mechanic worked on it, it reset!

P.S. For as old as the car is, everything else works fine! - That's way too dangerous to be "eh, it's just getting old".

Post by Guest »

I think you can call Volvo and give them your VIN and/or a number on the radio itself, and they can track down the radio code.

Yeah, my OD stopped working with around 112K on it. My best guess is I have about 125K miles on my '94 right now.

and then there's the glove box latch that no longer works...

constantly changing out bulbs...

The radio antena that doesn't go up all the way anymore... (yes, I've lubed it, etc.)

The driver's seat with the defective back adjustment cable (i.e. don't ever put it down 'cause you can't get it back up (for the 3 times I've had the seat out of the car and opened the gearbox and put it back up manually, I really should have replaced the $42 defective cable by now, instead it's a piece of duct tape over the seat controls... ; )

The roof molding covering peeling off because the used "environmrntall friendly" glue (OK, I'll cut them some slack on that one for effort) Looks like someone ran a razor blade down both sides, man, you can cut your skin on the flakes) Oh, yeah, the heated seats stopped working this winter...

And to think I chose this over a Camry for my used car in '98...

Why do I keep it? Well, it's paid for, best stereo system I ever had, it does look good and it does feel "safer" if I DO get rear ended when the engine just cuts out again without notice ; )

JLG850GLT

Post by JLG850GLT »

Thanks for the radio tip.....I have a question though...
Where is the radio number?...Do I have to literaly take out the radio
itself?.And if so, how do I even do that?...

And just today, my 850 keeps not starting when i first try to start it!...it takes a good number of tries, and it's sounds sooo nasty when i try to start it...Does anyone know what this could be?And maybe it's related to the stalling problem? Please help!Thanks.

Another thing is that..I really want some new front Seats for my volvo!..My back seats are in great shape, but my front seats are all hardend and tearing apart still....Does anyone know where I can get some blue front seats for my '93 850 GLT?...And if so, how much for?

-Thanks-

Post by Guest »

It's on the radio. See those 2 "slits" on the front of the radio. Push them in (say with you fingernail or screwdiver head, but be gentle) and they will pop out and allow you to remove the radio. It should be on the side or back somewhere.

Don't have any suggestons for the starting problem beyond what is in this thread although it's more about stalling but they may be related. Fuel pump, fuel pump relay switch, dirty fuel filter or bad battery connections (loose wires) also possible?

Don't know. maybe ebay? google? the link here at Matt's site titled "parts" in the Forum index?

Post by Guest »

Here's a link to a thread in the parts forum:

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/chat/p ... php?t=2894

He may have some seats or know someone who does.

Post by Guest »

Day 8. Still no deceleration stalling since Throttle Body cleaning. '94 850.

JLG850GLT

Post by JLG850GLT »

Thanks a lot!...man i thought it was going to be complicated to take out the radio haha...it's nothing...and thanks for the imformation for the new seats, i appriciate it.

Post by Guest »

See earlier posts about cleaning the Throttle Body as one possible solution. This is only if you are stalling while coming to a stop. If you are stalling under very/any condition, it may be your CMP Cam Sensor but that is also easy to replace yourself. Now the price of the part on the other hand... Back to the TB cleaning.

Plan to spend an hour or 2 on a nice day. Can do it wherever you are parked.

What you need:

1. A good screwdriver to get a good bite on the adjustable metal clamps on the black flexible hose/hard plastic elbow. (you can also use a socket wrench if you are handy with/have those. You may want to get some Rusty Bolt Lubricant at the auto parts store but just apply small amount to the clamp screw bolt area itself, don't go wild, not good to spray that stuff on rubber.)

2. Patience, especially getting the hard plastic elbow off of the Thottle Body. I had to disconnect the flexible hose at both end to make room to try and work the elbow out/off. I also removed just the top of the Air Filter holder.

3. Some gasoline to use on a clotth rag or paper towels to help clean the brown varnish build-up on the end part of the Throttle Body which is metal. You can look in and see it once you hane the hard plastic elbow off. You don't want to use gas to clean rubber or plastic.

This is the quicker less-hassle cleaning. To clean the TB on both sides, you would have to remove it from the engine which I chose not to do yet and would require replacement possibly of the gasket that goes between the TB and the engine. There is a diagram of the TB location on the top of the engine in this link courtesy of White850Turbo

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/chat/p ... php?t=3729