IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

01 V70 ABS Failure: Module NOT the problem! help?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Matty Moo
Year and Model: 850, 1996

Re: 01 V70 ABS Failure: Module NOT the problem! help?

Post by Matty Moo »

Jonathan.

I wouldn't pull the pump. I'd test it first. Take an Ohmmeter to it and see if the windings are open or shorted to ground. You can put 12v to it to see if it works.

I've never changed one out, but it doesn't look like something that is easy or fun.

there's a subscribe button at the bottom of the page. You have to look for it, it doesn't really stick out.
http://www.midwest-abs.com
Simplycleanpowerwash.com

1996 850 Platinum Wagon. ARD Green Tune, OBX.-Gone
1998 s70 ARD tune, EST exhaust, SE/R interior.
1999 s70 Plain Jane.
2000 s70 GLT
2014 Ram
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jtnb
Year and Model: '90 245DL, '01 V70

Going to replace the ABS pump (01 V70). How to do it?

Post by Jtnb »

Reached the end of all the tests I can think of.

Ordered up a used ABS pump assembly. Includes module and is guaranteed to work. $150 from Erie Volvo.

I'm going to tackle replacing the ABS pump and while I'm at it I'll do pads and rotors all around and flush and replace brake fluid.

The pads and rotor work isn't intimidating. Done it lots on multiple 240s. But I've never messed with an ABS pump. Can't seem to find any good info online (here or elsewhere) for replacing the ABS pump. Anyone out there have any resources? Is there a manual that has this procedure? I have no shop manual, but could look for the Haynes...

Thoughts?
jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al

Post by jimmy57 »

two brake lines in from M Cyl., 4 lines out to wheels. Keep up with removed lines as they go back where they came from. The pump assy. is on a bracket and access is not great but not the worst either. Hose from air cleaner to turbo will need to be removed. The battery will have to be disconnected and the electrical box under hood on driver side has two bolts. One is under rear of air cleaner on inner fender and the other is hidden under the cables that meet in rear of that box on the stud that is part of box. Remove the two cables and the bolt is down in hole next to stud. Box slides towards engine and comes out. Use WD-40 liberally on connector and then it should come off (i guess you already passed that point...)
Jtnb
Year and Model: '90 245DL, '01 V70

Post by Jtnb »

UPDATE and another ISSUE.

Spent the day in the shop. Thanks to a friend I had access to a lift and a warm shop!

Replaced pads and rotors all around. Front brake hoses were cracked and dodgy, so I replaced them as well.

Replaced ABS pump and module with identical unit from Erie Volvo. Bled the entire brake system, purging until bubbles were gone and clean fluid issued forth. (two asides: 1. I wish I'd bought the blue brake fluid, not because it's cool, but because it would have been a lot easier to see when I was into new fluid. Next time I could switch back and it would be equally clear. 2. BIG plug for the Motive Brake Pressure Bleeder. With that and the lift, one-man purging was a snap!)

Packed everything back together, dropped the car and got it outside for a test. Started up and !!!!!!!!! ABS and STC lights cleared! They're gone! I may be the one in a hundred, but it appears that my fault code was CORRECT. My ABS pump was bad.

BUT

I now have BRAKE FAILURE: SERVICE URGENT. Also pedal sinks a little. By the time this had presented itself I'd been in the shop all day and couldnt' deal. Drove the half mile home with one hand on the e-brake. All's well, but I'd sure appreciate any advice people have about where to start again in the morning. Can't give the car back to wifey like this. ABS failure was better.

SO.

1. I remember having BRAKE FAILURE: STOP SAFELY ASAP before. Now it's SERVICE URGENT. Does that mean anything? Does one of them outrank the other in degree of badness or component that's likely to be failed?

2. Any thoughts on where to start looking?

Thanks for all the support here on this forum.

Jonathan
volvo-user
Year and Model: 2001 v70-XC

Post by volvo-user »

Are you still working on this problem ?

I think that I recall I received the Brake Failure, Service Urgent message when the abs unit was properly installed but
the power connection was not plug into the abs unit. or the main wiring harness connection was disconnected.
I cannot recall which at the moment, but I will update when I locate the paper I wrote it on.
Did you check for voltage coming from the power connection. I recall some people saying theirs was rusty inside. When I inspected mine it was clean but I wiped it out with a swab soaked in alcohol. Other people have said their wiring harness connection did not fully seat and they received similar messages.

I have just re-soldered my abs unit, numerous solder joints to the wiring harness connections that had not been soldered before failed, giving the first set of symptoms. I have Just installed the abs unit again it and the warnings are all clear presently. . Tomorrow I go for a test drive.

Please Advise.

I hope these comments may help.
Matty Moo
Year and Model: 850, 1996

Post by Matty Moo »

He hasn't been on in awhile, but I had talked to him about it.

After driving it for a little after bleeding the brakes he was good to go. His voltage was fine.
http://www.midwest-abs.com
Simplycleanpowerwash.com

1996 850 Platinum Wagon. ARD Green Tune, OBX.-Gone
1998 s70 ARD tune, EST exhaust, SE/R interior.
1999 s70 Plain Jane.
2000 s70 GLT
2014 Ram
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
mspinks1
Year and Model: 2005 V70R

Post by mspinks1 »

Anyone figure this out yet? I'm going through the exact same thing.
abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70

Post by abscate »

Solution was up thread.
Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary