IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

XC90 2006 shift cannot be moved from Park - stuck Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
tinnyss
Year and Model: XC 90, 2006
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
tinnyss

XC90 2006 shift cannot be moved from Park - stuck

Post by tinnyss » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:03 am

My car had been running fine. was garaged for a couple of months. It starts fine.
Last edited by matthew1 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title. Please do not use ALL CAPS. Thank you -- Mgmt.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: XC 90 2006 SHIFT CANNOT BE MOVED FROM PARK - STUCK

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:09 am

Look in the owner's manual, there are instructions on how to over-ride the shift lock.
I have no info on problems with that system on that vehicle. The only problems I have personally seen on XC90 shift locks are spilled sugar sweetened drinks that gum up the mechanism. There is also a key lock portion of the locking system. Does the key turned normally both to the on position and back to the position where key can be removed?
Problems with turning key could point to problems with the cable for the mechanical instead of electrical portion.

tinnyss
Year and Model: XC 90, 2006
tinnyss

Post by tinnyss » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:46 am

I cannot find instructions to over-ride shift lock.The key operates normally and can be reoved normally. The car is very cleaqn allover and there are no spills, etc.

volvodoc
Year and Model: 01s60
volvodoc

Post by volvodoc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:02 am

pop off shifter cover prindle can be removed from trim panel to gain ascess one clip on each corner look down on drivers side you will see a yellow cable end soak the cable assy with reason and work the key on and off to losen up the cable blowing compressed air on the cable will help move the cleaner up inside the cable also work the yellow knob by hand this may take several attempts to complete use foaming glass cleaner

adamsr3
Year and Model: XC90 V8 AWD 2010
adamsr3

Re: XC90 2006 shift cannot be moved from Park - stuck

Post by adamsr3 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:46 am

I wanted to reply to this topic to report my own experience.

I am the second owner of a 2010 XC90 V8, purchased this previous Summer. I also own a 2004 XC90 T6 and have gone through two transmissions, so I feel that I have some experience with XC90s and have been around the block a few times. My local Indy shop owner also knows me pretty well.

Over the recent holiday season when the temperatures started to drop in Louisiana and Mississippi I was distraught to discover the gear shift would be stuck in P/park. I never made the association with this happenning when the car had been cold-soaked overnight. However, the shifter would be firmly in the P position, I could feel the brake solenoid releasing under the center console, and thought maybe the parking pin was stuck in the transmission. I even got the shifter to release after rocking the car. During these episodes I would also note that the key would remain locked in the igntion after putting the shifter in P and turning off the engine.

Well, I decided that I would eventually get around to figuring this out when I had more time and money. Then I tried to go to work yesterday morning when it was 19 degrees outside and could not get the gear shifter to move out of P/park. I tried rocking the car back and forth and every other trick I could think of, and finally gave up while wondering how much a tow would cost.

I spent the afternoon at work on the internet and discovered several posts, finally deciding that my symptoms seem to match the ignition cable that connects the key position to the gear shift. This interlock's existance seems primarily to keep the driver from pulling the keys out of the igintion when inadvertantly leaving the car in any gear other than park. There is an excellent picture of the entire gear shift assembly and offending parts at: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=110901

Armed with the knowledge I gained from looking at those pictures and reading this thread, I went home last night and found my trusty T20 torx screwdriver, some rags, a handful of q-tips (cotton ear swabs) and cotton swabs my wife uses to remove makeup, and FOAMING GLASS CLEANER. The recommendation by volvodoc to use foaming cleaner was outstanding and is the reason my repair went so well.

I pried up the trim plate surrounding the gear shift, removed the two screws forward of the cup holder, then poped the wood trim piece up from the silver gear shift trim leaving it intact and connected to the shifter's gaiter. I couldn't move the shifter, as it was still stuck in park, so it took a little creative effort to figure out how to get these pieces moved without breaking anything. Once the wood trim was removed I could then access the two screws at the front of the center console forward of the gear shifter. Finally, I pulled up the rubber pencil holder aft of the cup holder and removed two more screws. This released the top of the center console and I removed that and took the opportunity to remove the cup holder for a good cleaning.

Once I had the console's top off, I could see everything quite well and it all became clear to me. There was no need to remove anything else, carpet and other trim all remained in place. The white interlock is easily visible and the ignition flex cable mechanism is right there. There was soda drink spill all over everything down there and I contemplated what a fool the previous owner must have been. As soon as the temperatures started to drop the soda spill got really tacky and prevented the flex cable's spring from overcoming the tacky tension. Using the foaming cleaner only took a few applications to dissolve the sugar mess and I was able to capture most of it by placing rags underneath the parts I sprayed. Q-tips worked great to mop up cleaner that pooled in areas otherwise inaccessible. I gave the whole compartment a good cleaning. During this process I turned the key to see how the cable and interlock worked and they responded wonderfully after two applications of the foaming cleaner.

When I was satisfied that the mess had been cleaned, a few squirts of silicon lubricant to all the moving parts rounded up the repair. This whole process took about 15 minutes. I brought all the plastic trim I removed inside the house to wash with soap and water to get all the spill mess clean since I had them out. The cup holder was filthy.

Don't bother with WD40, use foaming glass spray to clean the sugar and follow up with a little silicon lubricant for good measure.

Hope this helps anyone out there who has the stuck gear shifter AND key in ignition.

Cheers!

Geramynangela
Year and Model: 2006 XC90
United States of America
Geramynangela

Post by Geramynangela » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Adamsr3... Your instructions were exactly what we needed!! Thank you for your post. The foaming glass cleaner took away all the gunk and our interlock system is working like new again! Excellent post!! 8)

Tom7777777
Year and Model: 2006 xc 90
United States of America
Tom7777777

Re: XC90 2006 shift cannot be moved from Park - stuck  Topic is solved

Post by Tom7777777 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:50 am

Again, your instructions were right on and I followed them step by step to access the shift mechanism. Our 2006 Volvo now has 135,450 miles and looks and runs like new. So, it worth it to keep it going as we now leave it garaged in Florida for our 4 month winter getaways. Anyway, turns out my problem wasn’t spilled soda although I still took the opportunity to clean up things with the materials and cleaners you suggested. What happened in my case was that the flexible cable associated with the ignition key did not have enough tension in the spring to pull the cable forward enough to unlock the shift thus leaving it stuck in Park. So, I had to leave things exposed (for now) so I can manipulate the cable to unlock it. For some reason, when the ignition key is turned, it always locks back, but does not unlock going forward. I suspect it is a problem with a loose tension spring and my plan is to get a new spring and replace the one that is there. The spring can be removed by sliding the spring forward and off and replacing it by sliding the new spring back on. Now, just have to see if I can find the replacement spring. Will try Home Depot or Lowe’s and then maybe Auto Zone. But, thanks for the removal instructions....it can be a bit tricky without them.

Rosiemua
Year and Model: 2005 xc90
United States of America
Rosiemua

Post by Rosiemua » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 pm

HEY this just happened to me I’m been searching all day and it’s seems like it’s this problem I had my volvo parked for a while and the shift is stuck on Parking I got took the panels apart but didn’t see no mess but I’m guessing I
Gotta use the glass cleaner? Tomorrow after work I’m grabbing a glass cleaner and trying this out I’m just not sure where to
Spray if someone can help me out. Thank you

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:15 am

This issue can come from a couple sources, one being a stuck shifter interlock.

Another is the lock cylinder itself, wheel lock tang (guillotine) breaks inside the cylinder, drops down and prevents the key from turning past POS I (which was my problem a number of years ago). The wafers in the cylinder can also get worn to the point the cylinder won't turn (the tapping hammer on back of key while it's being turned workaround).

If the key cannot turn to POS II, the shifter interlock cable won't release and allow the car to move out of Park (shift interlock also needs to function).

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread ... eplacement
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79303&p=427134&hil ... er#p427134

Lock cylinders on both my cars have been replaced at one point or another, did it myself on the '05 (ordered cylinder cut to my keys), the '08 cylinder was replaced before I bought the car in 2016.

Someone will tell you that you can "fix" this problem by taking apart the cylinder, removing the broken piece and puting it all back together. This one option, you'll just lose the wheel lock. I did not go in this direction (prefer my cars to work as designed) but it is indeed an option if it's the cyinder at fault.

2005 2.5T AWD-193k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-122k

75peggers
Year and Model: 2010 xc90
Great Britain
75peggers

Post by 75peggers » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:09 am

I would like to add a little here in that I have the same issue on a 2010 XC90 D5 however the symptoms seems to be a different to the above and here’s what I have done so far...

In the first instance I removed the shifter surround to access the switch to manually release the lever from P this is achieved the key has not been placed into the ignition switch meaning that the circuit is not complete for the solenoid to lock into place.

Once I had worked out that the lever was being moved back far enough to allow the lever to move from park I looked into what’s next.

After purchasing a new foot break switch that deactivates the cruise control (when on), switches the break lights on and also allows the solinoid to be pulled from the lock position when the key is placed into the ignition allowing the driver to pull the lever out of park asking as the lock cable is moving as it should (which it is I’m my case).

I have now discovered that with a clean cable, new switch that when I get in the car in the morning I press the break and can hear the solinoid disingauge to allow the level to be moved from park, however after the journey and the vehicle cabin has become warm/hot with the heater on I am unable to hear the solinoid disengage when the foot break is pressed requiring me to take the key out of the ignition and use the manual switch when the system has discharged releasing the solinoid .

My question here is has anyone else had this happen with these symptoms and have a fix? At the moment it’s sounding like the solinoid is sticking when hot or a wire is expanding somewhere causing the disconnect in the loom somewhere.

Any ideas welcome.