IPD sale Volvo Parts

New alternator?

Discussion and advice for 440, 460, 480 owners.
1986 - 1997 440
1986 - 1997 460
1986 - 1997 480
Minerver
Year and Model: 440i, 1994

New alternator?

Post by Minerver » Sun May 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi,

Im not sure if you can offer me any advice with this one. I have been given a 440i about a year ago, its hardly been driven and in an ok condiditon, but the first time i drove up to central london, she broke down in the middle of the road. I managed to get someone to look in her hood, nad it turned out that one of the wires from the alternator to the battery had come loose and she wasnt getting any charge.

About a week ago she did the same thing. All the lights went off, the radio went off and the fuel level went to nothing and she tried to cut out. I managed to get her to the drive before she finally gave up, and when we had a look, we cant see any wiresl loose and she started perfectly the first time with a jump so its not the starter or the switch thats broken, but it seems that the battery isnt holding any charge. There is a random cable with 4 pins hanging loose in the front of the bonnet with no plug close enough to fix it too but this didnt seem to stop the jump start from working so im not sure if this has anything to do with the problem. When i turn the key there is a click and she turns over once and then gives up and does nothing.

I would really prefer it not to be the alternator because i know from experience of a previous car that they are very expensive to replace... is there any chance that its just my battery that needs replacieng or is there a test i can do to check the voltage coming throught the alternator? My Haynes manuel is no help at all. :cry:

Thanks, Amy

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60
United States of America

Re: New alternator?

Post by JDS60R » Sun May 01, 2011 1:18 pm

Check the voltage at the battery when car is off. ( write down and let us know)
Jump start the car
Keep voltage meter on battery while running. ( write down result and let us know)

The result while running will tell us what is going on but both readings are needed.

The battery will need 12 volts to start

Once started a good alternator should show readings of 13.4 volts or above.

If voltage drops while running then alternator will need to be replaced for sure but battery may also need to go if it was damaged due to low charge.

If voltage stay high and then at shut off battery will not start the car then charge the battery and repeat the test. If the battery still fails to start the car after a few runnings then the battery is at fault.

Report back with both above results and we will walk you through this.

Alternators are not very expensive and on many of the bosch units you can get away with just replacing the voltage regulator ( for the mechanically inclined ). Otherwise purchase a re manufactured or rebuilt unit. Salvage units are also a consideration if you budget is tight and you can disconnect a battery and sling a wrench to get the alternator out.

Overall a 2 on a scale of 10 of mechanical expertise needed. The battery must be fully disconnected to replace the alternator. Failure to do this will cost you many many more dollars and the people at the part stores will point and laugh at you.
Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138

JDS60R
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2007 S60R 2007 S60
United States of America

Re: New alternator?

Post by JDS60R » Sun May 01, 2011 1:22 pm

before starting all of this - check the fuse for the charging system and tell us which engine you have so I can give you directions
Masterworks Complete Auto Services
Volvo Spoken Here !!!
100 Park Circle
Old Hickory, TN 37138